Any tips on fixing small scratches/indents in neck?

Miseria

I have an unfinished (burnished) roasted maple neck on my warmoth Tele. 95% of the neck length feels great. Feels like silk boxers lol. I noticed a couple spots up near the first couple frets where I could feel some rough spots. I thought it was an area where I didn't burnish it evenly. On closer inspection (bright light at the proper angle) I can tell it is actually some light scratches that I feel. I don't ever recall doing anything that could have scratched it.

Question - is there any way to fix this? The obvious answer is to sand it a bit but I don't want to change my neck profile...I love the way it feels/plays.

Would a tru oil/gun stock wax finish help this at all? I know I'd lose my "raw" feeling but these scratches are driving me nuts.

Thanks!

Couple pictures of the issue (hard to catch on camera). Also I think I discovered how the small scratches got there - when I removed the guitar from my wall hanger I noticed the neck tends to bump against the plastic part on the front of the hanger. I've probably been causing these over time :(

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0877 copy.jpg
    IMG_0877 copy.jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0876 copy.jpg
    IMG_0876 copy.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 201
I'm not sure I can tell where the scratches are. Is it three lines slightly above the first fret? Those would definitely be something I just live with.

Are they actually scratches, or dents? If the latter, it might be worth trying to steam them out.

spe111 said:
I'm not sure I can tell where the scratches are. Is it three lines slightly above the first fret? Those would definitely be something I just live with.

It is really hard to see in the image :( Help up in the light at an angle it looks a lot worse than this.

Fat Pete said:
Are they actually scratches, or dents? If the latter, it might be worth trying to steam them out.

They are more super shallow dents than scratches. Just kind of scratch shaped. I'm pretty sure I caused it but dragging the neck against the plastic at the tip of my wall hanger when removing it to play.

Looks fine to me.  I call it character and live with it.  Over the years it smoothes out.

Rick said:
Looks fine to me.  I call it character and live with it.  Over the years it smoothes out.

That is an option for sure. How would it react to a tru oil/gun stock wax finish?

Miseria said:
The obvious answer is to sand it a bit but I don't want to change my neck profile...I love the way it feels/plays.
If the neck is burnished, I would think re-sanding, starting at 340 or something wouldn't change the profile in any manner that you would notice.

Miseria said:
Rick said:

That is an option for sure. How would it react to a tru oil/gun stock wax finish?

How would slapping some oil or wax over top a dent fix it? I say just leave it, but that's me. Is it affecting your playing?

I thinks you gotta free your mind from such worries so you can keep #tokyo-drifting through lyfe

If it's compression rather than removal of material, perhaps the ol' hot iron over a wet paper towel trick will help expand the wood back to its original profile?

Bagman67 said:
If it's compression rather than removal of material, perhaps the ol' hot iron over a wet paper towel trick will help expand the wood back to its original profile?

I'm pretty sure it is some very light compression. Nothing was removed. I don't know this iron/paper towel trick but now I have something to look up on the ole you tube.

It is not effecting my playing (I'm poor enough at that anyways) but it does irritate me. If I can't fix it then it isn't the end of the world, but if I can fix it then why not try?

Here's an example:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/ZsJvrosibuE[/youtube]

I personally just use a wet paper towels, and the tip of the iron (set on steam) moving in circular motion.

Worked wonders for a dent on a mahogany speaker cabinet. It was already finished with wipe-on poly so I had to scrape that first (it's thin anyhow).

Back