Any interest in buying Warmoth guitars to help send aid to Houston?

Day-mun

The flood disaster happening in Texas  has really impacted me. My wife is from Houston, and I have friends and in-laws being affected by this sudden catastrophic event. I wanna help, but am at the moment financially  embarrassed. Then I got an idea: what if I sold a chunk of my Warmoth guitar collection and gave all the proceeds to Houston flood relief organizations?

My collection is mostly offsets (Jazzmasters, Jazzcasters & Mustangs), and a Tele. Most have raw necks (mostly Gibson conversion & 24" scale), and all have solid color bodies.

Just feeling out if anyone would be interested in buying a Warmoth fiddle & helping to send aid to our in-need neighbors in East Texas at the same time. Let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_20170830_193411.jpg
    IMG_20170830_193411.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 385
Yep. Two  Mustangs and both have the tornado bridge. One has  HB's and the other  has single coils. Also a few JM's with Gibson conversion necks. I sort of envisioned keeping (at least) one of each kind of guitar I have. Except for the Tele & the Jazzcaster; they are sort of six in one hand/half dozen in the other to me, so... 

I  guess I should take some pics; it is sort of ready-fire-aim with this post. I just threw it up (impulsive as I am) without thinking through how many/which ones/for how much to see if anyone would wanna do this with me. I will try to get some images up here so we can see what we got going on...

PIX! That's the ticket. I'll check out anything you have, but Gibson scale JM's seem to be the hot deal right now. Also, any short scale necks - especially if they have big CBS pegheads, and reverse pegheads are mucho popular, too.

OP updated with a picture.

I can answer questions about these here or in a PM. And some neck/body pairings are interchangeable, and I may consider doing that to help make this work.

I should mention that I prefer to ship in the continental US and to collect the funds via PayPal.

And let's keep any offers reasonable;  all USD's  collected are going to be forwarded to organizations helping those displaced by Harvey!

That's a very generous and compassionate thing you're doing. My hat's off to you!

Word of warning, though - disasters like this bring out some real nasty opportunists, many of them in sheep's clothing. It's not uncommon for these "relief" funds to spend maybe 10 cents on the dollar received on actual relief, with the balance going to "administrative costs". You could liquidate a precious collection so some nimrod can keep gas in his yacht.

I don't know if you can do it, but it would probably be a lot more helpful if you took the proceeds from this activity and used them to travel there and actually help. I'm sure just cleanup alone is going to take months and cost millions - your time would be worth a lot more than the couple K you could send otherwise.

Just a thought, while I think about that white Jazzmaster in the front row...

Thanks KG, and good advise. Like I said, Houston is my wife's hometown, and she has a lot of people on the ground there; I would definitely check with reliable sources to find out who's actually helping with everything they get.

Confession: the white JM I threw in the mix last-minute there in front is actually a half-moth built on a Squier body, but that is all that is left of the VM model it started out as. The neck is satin-nitro finished W 25.5" standard thin from Screaming deals. Some weird wiring,  a Faction tail-piece with a behind-the-bridge pickup, and Pork Roll Waverly pickup set makes it a not-so-average JM... Thanks for looking!

OK, tell me about the white JM with the 3rd pickup down by the tailpiece, and the pink one. If you'd be so kind....

@AirCap: I hit the highlights on the white JM in my last post in the thread. The upper switch still changes controls, but now introduces whatever pickup combo is selected by the toggle to either of the tone/volume channels. A push-pull introduces the behind-the-bridge pickup to whatever tone/volume channel is selected, and another push-pull reverses phase on the neck pickup for a Mustang-like middle tone. Both tone/volume channels have 250K pots, but one has a .047mfd capacitor, while the other sports a .015mfd; upper rollers are the volumes, and the lower knobs are the tones.

Pink Jazzcaster is alder with a  canary/rosewood Tele neck. Vintage modern standard thin with SS6105 frets. Vintage pearl pickguard (with an optional tortoise shell guard cut for a Strat middle pickup). P-90 (I don't know the manufacturer) neck pickup, Fender '62 Custom bridge (brass saddles) & lead pickup. Fender sealed tuners and electro-socket jack. Standard Tele wiring.

I hastily started this thread to feel out what, if any interest there was out there because I wanted to make a contribution to those aiding the flood victims in Texas. The few responses I received didn't promise to yield what I had hoped to see raised for the cause. I'm looking to other ways to support the flood relief effort, and no longer find selling  my Warmoth collection to be required.

My apologies for any disappointment this may be for members just now checking on this thread.

Thanks for offering and for your considerations..... It's just as well I didn't pop for any of them. I broke a tooth this morning, and my dentist only takes cash.... So tomorrow morning, my wallet will be much lighter with nothing obvious to show for it.

You're a good man, and no one will think poorly of you.

So sorry to hear that, AirCap! Feel better, friend. Thanks for the kind words. I certainly can't fault anyone for hoping for a savings when used items are offered. And usually if I post anything here FS, I am not trying to get rich from the deal, but this time around the circumstances came along with higher expectations. Warranted or not, that's on me. Thanks again to everyone who showed interest/support.

Back