Another 12 String Question -Location of String Tree

Frankie Chestnuts

All the Fender XII's from the 60s and the more recent Alternate Reality 12 string electrics have the string tree located near the nut.  Recently, I've noticed people (including some on this forum) place the tree after the first set of tuners (see photos).  Putting it nearer the nut will generate quite a bit of stress on the nut for the inside 8 strings. If it's placed after the first set of tuners, there will be stress on the tree itself, particularly for strings 3 and 10.  I think I'd prefer it near the nut, just because that's the traditional way, but if there's a good reason to move it, I'm all ears. 

Thoughts???

Attachments

• IMG_0004a.jpg
    IMG_0004a.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0005b.jpg
    IMG_0005b.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 12
You hit it on the head: Putting it near the nut puts a lot of stress on that there nut. 

On my warmoth XII I put it where you have it shown in your second photo.  I have no complaints.

Its down to your choice in the end like any string tree. Also where does it look better could factor into it.

But also the two photos of two blue headstocks one under the other look like a pair of Smurfs.

Typically the headstock is called the 'Gumby' headstock.  But in this case it's the 'Smurfy' headstock!

:headbang:

Mayfly said:
Typically the headstock is called the 'Gumby' headstock.  But in this case it's the 'Smurfy' headstock!

I've heard it called a "Hockey stick" head stock.  With Ice Hockey being the national religion in Canada, maybe that's a bit sacrilegious to call it that, there?  :cool01:

:icon_biggrin: :toothy12: :toothy10:

The strings are supposed to have down pressure on the nut. If there's a difference between the two the extreme horizontal angle on the next four strings  for the rearward position could cause tuning issues. Of course it's a 12 string so nobody might ever notice. I live the things dearly but they're never all in tune at the same time.

stratamania said:
But also the two photos of two blue headstocks one under the other look like a pair of Smurfs.
My wife also made the Smurf reference. I was quick to point out that Smurfs are BLUE. Their hats are WHITE.

Do we have a name?  Gargamel?  Jangle Smurf?

Attachments

• 86A7498F-34C2-4AD0-9542-3422514F59B4.png
    86A7498F-34C2-4AD0-9542-3422514F59B4.png
    558.6 KB · Views: 2
If I ever build an electric 12 it's getting an Ibanez style retainer bar instead of trees

swarfrat said:
If I ever build an electric 12 it's getting an Ibanez style retainer bar instead of trees
I really considered it. I don't like the look of them.

Maybe it's just not traditional.  :dontknow:

Attachments

• 512.jpg
    512.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 14
Mayfly said:

13051958_0.jpg

rick2 said:
I wonder if staggered tuners would work.

I actually have staggered tuners on my Warmoth XII.  Sadly the high 'G' string would keep leaping out of the nut at the slightest provocation, so I put the tree on there. 

Besides, if I hadn't tracked down an official fender tree for the XII, then I could not have measured it for Doug to make for Aaaaaaaron.  :headbang:

Wow even with staggered tuners it fell off!  At least I know where to look if I need a 12 string string tree.  @someone with 86 in his name!

My strings on mine stay in alright without a string tree.

s-l300.jpg

Just sayin'

Also, that Smurf a pretty good guitarist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XKLdLet6Pk

Back