angled neck + middle pickup

Caisa

Hi,

I have a Tele like guitar with Strat neck and middle pickup and a Wilkinson trem. Because the polepieces are a little bit off, I think I might angle the neck and middle pups a little bit, so that the high "e" is a little closer to the bridge. Is there a big difference in the sound if I will do it that way?Anybody tried this?

Thanks
Stephan

It matters a little bit, like how the string sounds when you pick closer to the bridge or the neck. If anything... I suggest angling it the OTHER way. I always find the bass strings could be less bassy on neck  and middle pickups. Are you doing the pickup routes yourself?

+1 angle them the other way to make your low strings clearer and your high strings mellower.

how much will the angle mellow down the tone of the higher strings? I really like the bell like Strat tone!

thanks

stephan

It'll be fairly subtle (I think...) that far from the bridge. When the pickup is closer to the bridge the differences in position cause much greater changes in tone (I think..). I've done some minor tests in this area checking between the different tones of both coils on a split humbucker, in the neck position both sounded fairly similar (but definitly noticably different), in bridge position though the difference was greater. Wish I'd thought to make a recording for later reference.

They should be angled the opposite direction from what's shown in that picture...

AToE said:
It'll be fairly subtle (I think...) that far from the bridge. When the pickup is closer to the bridge the differences in position cause much greater changes in tone (I think..).

+1  Also, check out Jake E. Lee's guitars.  He had this mod done.

Well,  I will give it a try and algle them the other way... do you think about 10° will be OK?

Thanks
Stephan

Back