An absolutely insane guitar fantasy.

line6man

Epic Member
I did a thread about this on TalkBass ages ago, but in an IM discussion of scalloped necks, it hit me.
How to make the idea even more insane:

So we start with Steve Vai's UltraZone guitar...

Add a Torzal Twist...
Img406.jpg

And then make it a multiscale...
super-j-custom-exotic-index.jpg

But with True Temperament frets...
Schecter_center_body.gif

And of course, a full scallop job...
solid_zebrawood_neck_scallop_dccustomguitars.jpg

With the fanciest woods in all the land of course. :blob7:

Some ideas I believe might cause the destruction of the universe.  This is one of those ideas. :icon_jokercolor:

Lucky #007 said:
Some ideas I believe might cause the destruction of the universe.  This is one of those ideas. :icon_jokercolor:

But imagine the look on Steve's face if he played one! The series of facial expressions might unlock a portal to another universe after this one is destroyed. :blob7:

Max said:
Joey... have it built.

I hate frets though, I would have a hard time adjusting.

I would love to have it built, but I don't have any money. :sad1:

i like it! the only thing i don't think i'd like would be the twist. never tried one, but i can see it as comfortable...

JaySwear said:
i like it! the only thing i don't think i'd like would be the twist. never tried one, but i can see it as comfortable...

Yeah, that would be just begging for carpal tunnel!  :laughing11:

I've seen the twisted ones.  They look interesting as well as the multiscale.  Players that use the multiscale ones have said the transition to it was almost effortless but you can't go back.  One of the neat things about playing a conventional instrument is that you can borrow one in a pinch.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Players that use the multiscale ones have said the transition to it was almost effortless but you can't go back.

Yep. I've always heard that multiscale instruments were very easy to play. Totally effortless transition, and a very ergonomic instrument.

A multiscale fretless has been on my dream list for a while.

I swear I've seen a guitar with an (intentionally) twisted fretboard like that somewhere on the internet. It was called California something... I can't remember and Google isn't helping.

A multiscale with a twist wouldn't be too difficult to build, but start adding the TT frets and trying to scallop around all those kinks, that's where it could get tricky.

Biggus Pickus said:
A multiscale with a twist wouldn't be too difficult to build, but start adding the TT frets and trying to scallop around all those kinks, that's where it could get tricky.

It doesn't seem like it would be too big of a deal to CNC the fretboard for the scallops. Of course, that's probably going to take some programming work. :blob7:
The TT frets would be the main problem though. Being on a twisted multi-scale neck, the shapes would be different than anything TT offers. They would have to be redesigned to properly intonate, which would be a custom job that I don't think TrueTemperament would do, for obvious reasons.

Back