Amp suggestions

jackocaster

I am having a hard time deciding what amp/fx to buy. I know there is personal taste to factor in, but I would like to know peoples opinions.
I'll try to give as much info as possible:
I have been playing over 20 years. I play mostly classic rock but also some blues and modern. The heaviest I get is Metallica and Ozzy.
I have a Warmoth swamp ash body/birds eye maple neck strat with a set of Kinmann Woodstock pickups.
I play mostly inside with a drummer and bass player but I do play about 3 or 4 gigs a year outside.
Some of the sounds I need are Tom Petty, Black Sabbath, Jimmy Eat World, Rush, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Journey, Green Day, CCR, Zeppelin, etc.

I had a GNX4 with a Tech 21 60W power engine. It was great for switching between songs but I didn't need all of the other features. Also it sounded great for practice but not as good with the drums. It got lost in the mix.
I then switched to a Tech 21 Tri-AC with the power engine and had an even worse gig volume tone.
I currently have a VOX AD60VTX with pedal board. This is the first of the Valvetronix series. It does better than the Tech 21 set up but last week we played outside and I had a hard time getting a good tone. The guitar sounded too tinny unless I used a distorted sound and then it was too loud. I am using an EQ in the fx loop on this amp. I had my wireless hooked up and went into the audience to check the sound.

I know there is the Fletcher Munson effect to blame for some of this, but I also know I can do better. I am thinking about a small (15-30 watts) tube amp + effects. I never had a nice amp when I was younger (no funds) and now I can't get a half/full stack (no room).

Maybe it's not the amp.  :doh:

I would say that my favorite guitar tone is the Pink Floyd Animals album.

Thanks for your replies!  :rock-on:

Buy my Twin Reverb.... from 73....!!!!! (total restore, recover, regrille, new hardware, blackface,.etc...)

Back