Am I alone in this thinking?

juliancs

I may just be rambling, but I have this..'theory'.

I believe guitars grow "into" people. Have you ever played the same guitar you've got in a store, and it just does not feel right? I believe that because wood is a natural thing, as we play the guitar, it slowly, and very subtly molds into our hands. We all exert different pressure at different points on the fretboard, all use different technique- much like we wear out shoes at different places.

I dunno, it's obviously not very obvious visually, but I really think guitars grow into the users hands.

What do you think  :icon_scratch:

I'd say definitely yes. Even with my Warmoth's which are, relatively speaking, very new, I can already feel the process beginning to take place. I reckon it probably only takes two or three string changes before the difference starts to make itself apparent.

No doubt, guitars are like an article of clothing, shoes, etc....  It takes time to break in, and once you do it just fits perfectly and nothing else feels the same.

I think is us getting used to the guitar, rather than the guitar adapting to us...

I just noticed recently that my LP feels more "solid" to me now than it did when I first put it together. I can't explain why. I'm not sure how much the guitar changes, but certainly I've become more used to it.

It definately does take some time to break a guitar in.  And once you do, every time you pick it up it's like bumping into an old friend....Hours are spent catching up...My fiance already refers to herself as a "guitar widow"....

I believe in what you're saying, without a doubt. I also believe we adjust (albeit slightly) to the instrument. It's all good  :guitaristgif:

I have a guitar that has a boatneck contour which felt really big at first, but now it's so natural that I don't really notice the difference.

I don't think that guitars physically "grow" into us, but I think they do psychologically.

My Fender and Ibanez feel almost a part of me, but for some reason, I cannot seem to get my ESP to feel that way. I'm convinced it's the neck. It is what ESP refers to as a Thin U" shape. I wish it were an "Extra-thin U". All the new M-IIs come with a "Extra-thin Flat" neck contour, but I don't like flat-back necks. I like 'em thin (not super-thin), and rounded in the back...

Either what you say or the other way around... nothing feels as good as picking up my 85 Japanese Strat (now with Warmoth Body)....
maybe it's because I didn't play anything else for about 18 years!

Yes to original question. A guitar fairy does not come change the guitar while you sleep, you just get used to different axes.

My friends dread having me play their guitars. Their string's lives are measured in minutes after I touch them.

I actually enjoy playing other peoples guitars, I like playing all guitars actually, good, bad, and everything in between. It's experience.  :rock-on:

I usually hate playing other people's guitars. They never feel right, or the action is wrong, or the string gauge is wrong, or the neck contour is wrong, but every once in awhile (rare), I play someone's guitar that is just awesome...

T.L. said:
I usually hate playing other people's guitars. They never feel right, or the action is wrong, or the string gauge is wrong, or the neck contour is wrong, but every once in awhile (rare), I play someone's guitar that is just awesome...

+1, or they're downtuned and unexpectedly so.

Back