Alnico Pro 2

Circadian

Hey all,

I’m curious what everyone’s opinion is on the Seymour Duncan APH-2 Slash Custom pickups. I’m thinking of putting a set into my next build since there aren’t too many passive pickups that come with black nickel covers and I can’t find any black nickel covers with the correct pole spacing.

Any thoughts?

You can make any nickel cover black, so if it's a look thing, maybe that opens more options?

Sadie-f said:
You can make any nickel color black, so if it's a look thing, maybe that opens more options?

:eek:

I didn’t even think of that. It is more for aesthetics than anything. I may have to try this on some pickups I have laying around. From demos online the APH-2’s sound a lot like Gibson Burstbuckers which I like so I may still end up ordering a set.

Thread a bit dated now but if it comes up in someone's search the Slash set is more or less as advertised, certainly the good old APH2 neck in an LP type will get you there and you know the sound, esp if you know how to handle the tone knob. 

As to the bridge, for my tastes it's a one-trick pony but a good trick. Slash-y of course but not quite enough oomph for me even for AC/DC things let along more than that so I can't use it on a regular basis. BUT, it has a great sparkle if you like your cleans a little gritty especially when arpeggiating some open chords. It seems better at that to my ear than any other pickups I've tried and I've tried a lot, to include backing off the volume a bit.

Both pickups together wide open the cleans are very good in the right guitar, but other LP style pickups have comparable qualities there.

What I wound up doing was pulling them out and stuffing them into a Firefly LP--which cost less than the pickup set--and I just grab that when I'm looking for that specific sound. GNR were my top influence very early on and I know the flavor pretty well, but the bridge feels like it's fighting me a bit even when I lean into it a bunch. With gain they just don't do it for me for everyday use. Somewhat related I also hate the Pearly Gates, both versions of it to include the stock Fender variant, in both neck and bridge, and in both Gibson and Fender styles.

All that said, the Slash set has their own voice and is sure to fit some people, which is different than the BB1 and BB2 at least, and it doesn't hurt that they're affordable and readily available. I wouldn't trust consensus or any particular review on them (including mine), if you like what you hear on Youtube try out a set and see how they like you and your setup and adjust from there.

Sadie-f said:
You can make any nickel cover black, so if it's a look thing, maybe that opens more options?

wtf what kinda alchemy are u talkin' bout, Willis? (note:this is a reference to an old American television program, Google it if needed)

BroccoliRob said:
Sadie-f said:

Nitric acid between 25-50% solution is one way, there are others, that's the simple one :)

wtf what kinda alchemy are u talkin' bout, Willis? (note:this is a reference to an old American television program, Google it if

oh that's pretty cool.

but listen up (can one listen down??), my turtle, i dont mess with the Big-A any more these days. Or at least very infrequently lol. the last time i was on A i couldn't stop thinking about how Soup of the Day implies that there is a Soup of the Night. and how u can drink a drink but u can't food a food. deez thoughts terrorized me.

Its like when u go to Chipotle and get a #thicc burrito  (thicc is what the kids say now instead of "phat") and the burrito makes u feel like your stomach is filled with a buncha goblins trashing a dirty motel room.

but the goblins were in my skull and my brain was the motel

Back