ahhhhhh crap... pulled the trigger again... GAS!!!!!!

rightintheface

so i just shot off my order for my 2nd warmoth body....  :headbang1:

chambered rear-route tele
alder/alder
double f-holes
H-X-H route (JB, 59 waiting for installation)
forearm contour
contoured heel

i'm gonna finish her myself.
im going to spray the body matte black, and then either use a sanding block (for a wood finish) or hand-paint binding around the perimeter and the f-holes..

i know what you're thinking, but bare with me..  :tard:

i don't have enough money to afford proper binding (im an aussie, exchange is crap, work is very slow and i am flat broke after this order), plus i wanted a forearm contour, so i'm gonna have to get creative: i'm going to experiment by spraying black and then using sand paper just on the edges and f-holes to bring out the alder, and see how it looks wth "wood" "binding". if it looks sh*te, i'll mask it and spray/hand-paint white binding (much more invlved/difficut option for me).
i know this a terribly unorthodox/non-traditional way to have binding, but i CANNOT afford the binding costs (from warmoth or a local luthier), and i'm fairly competent with woodworking/painting skills to do it myself (to an extent; the experimenting is half the fun). and hey, if i stuff it up, i can always sand it back. either way it's gonna look cool with double f-holes.  :hello2:

im planning on coupling her with a maple/ebony warmoth headstock neck, with a matching finish, block inlays. i plan on doing the same "binding" idea on the headstock's edges and see how it goes. my last hollow (black korina) tele had a wenge neck (raw) which i LOVE, but again cant really afford it and want something that sounds diff to my original tele, and also i want the finish to match up. i chose "strat"-like woods because a local old muso who is one of my idols pays a strat with the same woods/pickups and i LOVEhis sound. have played it through my rig and it sounded great, so i'm gonna try it for something different. i know i know, it's blasphemy to go from a raw exotic back to a STANDARD MAPLE. but again, its all about money and about something different. i'm using the sae pickups (the bridge at least) as my other warmoth, and i know that's the single biggest sound-factor in a guitar, but they are pickups that i have spare and i cant afford new/diff ones  ???

i know, i['m a massive tightass. but i need a good 2nd guitar to match up to my first warmoth (my backup at is a epi sg which SUCKS) and had to balance up some aesthetic issues with cost issues

any (productive) comments welcome. i just know i'm gonna cop flak for my DIY binding....  :-\ so be it

Hm, I think you should jump straight to masking before spraying.  You will not be able to get a clean line with sandpaper.  :-\

I need to be hospitalized for GAS too - I feel ya. I agree with "dbw" (or so he calls "himself") that your binding via sanding idea is a waste of time, it'll be hard enough to do with tape.
This thread will need pics! @*&%$(*$ so will mine!

dbw said:
Hm, I think you should jump straight to masking before spraying.  You will not be able to get a clean line with sandpaper.   :-\
+1

It's how Warmoth and the people I "know" makes natural binding...

Beside it, sounds good! :)

I did too, got an email from "Bob" in the custom shop to confirm my custom neck order today. Should be done in about 4 weeks.... :icon_biggrin: The body will be here Wed.... :headbang:

tfarny said:
I need to be hospitalized for GAS too - I feel ya. I agree with "dbw" (or so he calls "himself") that your binding via sanding idea is a waste of time, it'll be hard enough to do with tape.
This thread will need pics! @*&%$(*$ so will mine!
I think this is what is in oreder tfarny....
worthless_thread_wo_pics.gif

3 1/2 lb chambered, tummy / forearm cuts, HB route in neck. Will get a dye finish of some type (amber?), vintage type pups, maybe a Bill Lawrence noiseless tele bridge pup and a PAFy thing in the neck. Definitely exotic neck, maybe a 59 back with Gibson scale. NOPE, No Floyd! I'll be lucky to even get the body finished this summer. Apologies for hijacking.

Back