Ahhhhh....the 80's

I still have all but two of the guitars I had in the 80's, sold my Ibanez Roadstar II and my LP got stolen... :dontknow:

BroccoliRob said:
i done a lot of things but cocaine ain't never one of them. These days I drink e-drinks (short for energy drinks) right before bed so I can sprint faster in my dreams.

I haven’t so much as smoked weed since 1984.

Nowadays, if I want to get high, I just get up fast....

no drugz. just do a rail of Dorito dust every day at 4:20am and 69 seconds. preferably cool ranch flavor but spicy sweet chili is better than a cup o' joe. thats the high4me

I miss a lot of what was good about the 80s but wouldn’t go back unless I could know everything I know now about life. I’d really cherry pick which experiences to relive. Which of the dozen guitars I bought in the 80s I’d keep is absolutely something I would address.
I was born in May of 1960 so I got to experience the 70s music scene as a young teen. We lived in the projects (Estates for our UK friends) from 1968 to 1976. This exposed me to music that was diverse compared to some of my school friends and relatives. Motown was one of my first real influences and hard rock came later. The 80s were interesting indeed both musically and socially. Turning 21 in 81 meant I could legally party and clubbing turned me on to more styles of music. Getting married right after my 21st birthday got me through the 80s without catching any of the STDs of the time period. My 1st wife made sure no other women got close enough to transmit any kind of cooties. Weed was the only other drug apart from liquor I went near.

On estates, it is more of a generic term in the UK, one can live on a wealthy middle class housing estate, a council estate of which many were sold off and there is a shortage of affordable housing to rent.

stratamania said:
On estates, it is more of a generic term in the UK, one can live on a wealthy middle class housing estate, a council estate of which many were sold off and there is a shortage of affordable housing to rent.
Thanks for the info  :icon_thumright: I've completely misunderstood how my UK gaming friends were using the term  :doh: They were picking at one guy for being on the dole and living in the estates. People in this area tend to look down at anyone living in public housing and receiving assistance. It sounded like they were being jerks to that guy like the jerks around here sound on the subject.

When i was a kid in the 80s, i had asthma real bad. When i would watch other kids play Ultimate Frisbee i would get anxious and hyperventilate. It's like, why couldn't there be a form of Frisbee inbetween regular and Ultimate? and how come there's only regular ventilation and Hyperventilation. There's no Hyper Frisbee and likewise no Ultimate ventilation. really makes u think.

anyway i am experiencing #oatmeal-fatigue  (that means I just ate more oatmeal than recommended by the FDA) so I'ma take a sleep for a while. My asthma is way more under control these dayz

JPOL007 said:
stratamania said:
Thanks for the info  :icon_thumright: I've completely misunderstood how my UK gaming friends were using the term  :doh: They were picking at one guy for being on the dole and living in the estates. People in this area tend to look down at anyone living in public housing and receiving assistance. It sounded like they were being jerks to that guy like the jerks around here sound on the subject.

People laughing at others who are less fortunate are wrong and is wrong. It does sound like they were being jerks or are jerks and possibly shortening the term "council" estates to estates. Now it may be that in some areas some estates are not great areas but that would be a generalisation. When I grew up in the 60s I did not live in a council estate or one of the newer posh estates that started being built but lived in a friendly well thought of street. There were also nearby older terraced streets that had been built for miners. I had friends and knew people from all of the areas around about. Some of the most genuine friendly people lived on the council estate near by. I take people for who they are not what they have.

There is a real problem with lack of housing that is affordable in the UK. It is not right that teachers for example who in the 60 & 70s could have afforded to buy a house might struggle to do so now. And the amount of homeless people now breaks my heart. I would say more but would stray into politics.

Slackjaw said:
DangerousR6 said:
What a decade...I wanna go back...

Totally with you on that, BTW. So much that I HAD to pick up one of these exactly 2 years ago. It came with Super Distortions in the bridge AND neck (!). I couldn't hang with that for a neck pickup... let alone at the bridge (too dark sounding with the mahogany body and also slanted), so swapped those out for a Satch Track in the neck and a Custom/'59 Hybrid at the bridge (post surgery pic):

1888.jpg

Pointyness with some class.  Beautiful guitar!

I was only 16 on New Years Eve, 1989....but I started playing music when I was 12, and packed a lot of musical exposure into those last four years of the 80's. By age 15, I was playing out live and being asked to fill in with different bands and such (on drums.  I picked up guitar and drums at the same time, but dove headlong into drumming at the time). 

When I was 11, we lived in a Detroit suburb. It was summer of 1984.  I had a modest boom box, and some cassette tapes.  I remember the cute ("older"...as in probably 15 or 16) neighbor girl walking from across the street, asking me to please turn down my Van Halen music (the 1984 album), because it was too loud and they were trying to watch something on TV.  :rock-on: .  A year later, we moved, and my own musical journey began.

I was pretty inundated with music even in my early teens.  Because I caught onto drumming pretty quickly, "older dudes" would ask to jam and what not, and I was allowed to play until 10pm in the detached garage (small rural town at this point). I listened to mostly rock, but everything from Yngwie Malmsteen to Motley Crüe to VAN HALEN to Queen to Rush to whoever had good (to me) music (which...yes...included Poison, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, and a bunch of other cheesy bands).  To be fair, I did get turned onto Prince when I was about 8 years old (and he's still one of my main three musical influences to this day). 

I remember the line wrapping around the building to get in to see Return of the Jedi. I had a mullet.  I wore Ocean Pacific t shirts and parachute pants (at times).  I had a few Swatch watches that I wore (of COURSE at the same time!).  I recall distinctly when I was younger, guys on street corners with their cardboard spread out and their boomboxes, breakdancing. 

I painted my Harmony Strat copy that I got when I was 12 (my first guitar) and then striped it because I thought EVH's guitar looked cool with the stripes. 

My first amp was a used Peavey Audition 20, and I thought the "Pull for saturation" knob was THE coolest thing EVER.

I was too young to be in "real" bands at that time.  I remember getting phone calls because my parents phone number got passed along to reach me at (again...small rural communities), and they must not have known how old (young) I was, asking me to audition for their band (on drums) that usually played some of the bars in the area.  "Um....I'm only 16, and I don't think my parents would allow that.  Sorry." LOL.  That happened a few times.  But I dove into drumming and music as soon as I started.

I had two tone fat flat laced flourescent shoelaces that I wore with Nike high tops.  I also wore two different colored Chuck Taylors, just because.  Acid washed jeans, a mullet, and high top Nike's.  Yeah, I was there.

I remember the local music store had either a Kramer or a Charvel that had the Japanese flag on it....and back then....all the guitars had SUCH a MYSTIQUE to me....I remember seeing the Kahler and Floyd bridges, and being so fascinated by them.  I'm glad to have grown up in the decade of the hair bands and guitar solos...I won't apologize for still listening to a lot of those bands (but mostly Van Halen, because quite simply, they're the best.).

I may have been only 16 when that wacky decade ended, but I was there....40 years ago...and I, for one, remember it fondly. Where's the Delorean? 

Back