DangerousR6

Mythical Status
What a decade...I wanna go back...
166179004_4131632963585694_7059696833668787738_o.jpg

I turned 20 in 1989.

I LOVED the 80's. 
Amazing music from so many genres
The start of so many new music genres
One of the best guitar centric decades.  I'd argue electric guitar was at it's pinnacle at that time

And of course.....the fun.  I had a really good time in this period.

Edited to add:

Saw some other folks put up pics....

This is me in 1989 playing an outdoor show in Jun in Secaucus, NJ at a high school field playing a benefit, in a shipping container where the wall would come down and make a stage.  It was 106 degrees that day, and a drummer from another band passed out.  Ahhhhh, the 80's

1989-Gig-Masquerade.jpg

They were fun though too much drugs.  I remember leaving my apartment in the morning and walking to the subway crunching over crack vials.

Caffeine is supposed to help as a mild beta agonist and this has some of the effects of epinephrine during an asthma attack. In my early twenties I had one and had a couple puffs of epinephrine, as well as coffee + mt dew. I remember laying on my bed with my heart going baddadadadumpitydumpdump and thinking "people do this to themselves for FUN???" No thanks. The doc tried to put me on Ritalin once. Same deal. Didn't resemble any definition of fun I could think of

Myself... circa 1988. Incidentally... blowing up Jerry Cantrell's Randall @ The Renton Musician's Hall. We played a lot of shows with them ("Diamond Lie" at the time, later AiC) and we often used each other's gear. Unfortunately... yes I did actually blow one of the speakers in his Randall 2x12 cab this show!  :doh:  He had 2 matching Randall mini-stacks with the small head and 2x12 cabs at the time. I forget the actual model the Randall heads were.

And not merely a gratuitous post... there is actual Warmoth content here! The guitar I am wielding is my HS woodshop-made body with a FLAT (no-radius) Warmoth reverse explorer neck:

btoyz-rich.jpg

Graduated HS in '85.
I absolutely hated the music in the '80s. At least most of it.

I didn't like the 'popular' stuff, but I did get exposed to the Violent Femmes, Husker Du, Billy Bragg, Hoodoo Gurus, and X.  So I guess it wasn't such a bad time...

You're only nostalgic for the 80's because you were too young for the 60's and early-mid 70's.

Now get off my lawn!

Bill, tgo

DangerousR6 said:
What a decade...I wanna go back...

Totally with you on that, BTW. So much that I HAD to pick up one of these exactly 2 years ago. It came with Super Distortions in the bridge AND neck (!). I couldn't hang with that for a neck pickup... let alone at the bridge (too dark sounding with the mahogany body and also slanted), so swapped those out for a Satch Track in the neck and a Custom/'59 Hybrid at the bridge (post surgery pic):

1888.jpg

The '80s were my formative years, from childhood to teens.  I got all the pop culture but with that veneer of innocence.  I was in high school when Guns 'n' Roses blew up the prevailing hair rock of the time.  And as a naive-but-knows-everything high school graduate, the grunge era just started bubbling up around the edges in the early '90s.

I look back on that period now academically. It's really a fascinating sociological study. Definitely not something to return to, though.

But I am proud to say that my lone holdover from the '80s is that I still have long hair (and maintain a respectable job in K-12 technology). :)

Aggghhh, the 80's. A decade of pointy guitars, glitter spandex, gender confused bands and, in spite of it all a small amount of decent music made.................Then there's the matter of David Crosby's burnt out sinus cavities. Overall though, not the worst of times, not the best of times. My problem was I was young in the 60's and 70's, so I had developed a much higher benchmark.................. :icon_jokercolor:

Lbpesq said:
You're only nostalgic for the 80's because you were too young for the 60's and early-mid 70's.

Now get off my lawn!

Bill, tgo

I was there for most of that too, I do remember a lot of it; I was a late bloomer to the party scene.  Graduated HS in '73. The Beatles were it. Metal was born. Folk music was everywhere. Good times.

Lbpesq said:

Now get off my lawn!

Bill, tgo
That's only partly true, I was born in the late 60's, but I do remember quite a bit growing up in the 70's. I like a lot of the music from the 60's and 70's without a doubt. I remember my mother listening to the Doors and Hendrix, Skynard. So there is some nostalgia there for the 70's, i discovered Kiss and Styx and Queen and VH. But still the 80's had Hair bands, pointy guitars and fast shredding, and Metallica, Megadeath and Judas Priest, so be quiet grampa or I'll do donuts on your lawn with my Trans Am.... :rock-on:

i done a lot of things but cocaine ain't never one of them. These days I drink e-drinks (short for energy drinks) right before bed so I can sprint faster in my dreams.

War_in_D said:
Dang, that looks almost like a Charvel Model 88 with direct mount pickups an added neck single..

It's a model 1888... sort of a re-issue on the 88.

BroccoliRob said:
i done a lot of things but cocaine ain't never one of them. These days I drink e-drinks (short for energy drinks) right before bed so I can sprint faster in my dreams.

Oh I did my time with that... but was fortunate enough to realize the euphoria was never as good as that first line, and to do more is just chasing that feeling. So it never became a problem.

Tried smoking it *once*... not for me! It threw what I liked about snorting it out the window (quick thought with the ability to converse fluently, without the mental blocks that would normally keep me quiet). It was like a short circuit... I was already on to the next thought before I could converse about it. So just ended up clamming up worse than before any altered state...  :tard:

Back