Advice on speed knob

Rescue2

Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster. I've learned a ton from everyone here, and Id just like to say thank you for all the info and the welcoming atmosphere. I have a question about pots and volume knob selection.

I've done some searching and learned a lot, but I still have a few questions. Sorry if they've already been answered elsewhere.

The short version of a build I'm planning is a Jeff Beck meets Billy Gibbons live show work horse.

Specs:

Chambered Tele (no f-hole) in black korina with tummy cut and start forearm contour.

TOM bridge with single Pearly Gates HB in the bridge. Rear routed body with LP controls: Vol. 1 Tone 1 and Tone 2 with an esquire wiring job.

My plan for this set up is a super light Tele with lots of comfort contours, functioning as a straight ahead rock/blues machine. Rude tones with overdrive, suitable for lead or rhythm and light as a feather for comfort at longer gigs.

The LP v1 t1 and t2 controls give me a cabronita vol/tone set up but closer to the TOM for quicker access. I'd like to use the t2 routed hole as a toggle switch. I plan to paint the inside of the cavity with shielding paint to avoid issues at louder smaller gigs.

I'd like to put one of those YHM speed volume pots in, and the LP v1 control puts it closer for pinky access. I don't plan on using it a ton, but I like having the option of swells and quick stops if I don't have a volume pedal handy.

What I've learned about 250k vs. 500k pots is best summed up by Cagey.

Cagey said:
Traditionally, single coil pickups are mated up with 250K pots and humbuckers (or any "noiseless" pickup) with 500K parts.

So I know this guitar won't be a jack of all trades, and it isn't supposed to be. The Pearly Gates and the esquire wiring will lend enough versatility (I think) for the job it is designed for.

In terms of the goal of being a blues/rock work horse what would the pros and cons of 250k vs. 500k pots be in this guitar? Any further electronics advice is much appreciated.

It sounds like there isn't much downside to the 500k pots, but I'd love to hear perspectives.

Especially if you think I'm off base on any of my ideas.

Sorry for writing a novel, I've been thinking about all of this for too long. I do not mind constructive criticism at all. Thanks in advance for the help!  :)

I would go with 500k pots for sure. A 250k volume pot will kill off some of the sizzle that makes the PG so sweet and a 250k tone pot will just limit the range of the tone control. While you're at it  consider a .022 uF tone capacitor rather than the Esquire's .05uF. This sounds like it will be a sweet guitar.

Thanks for the reply.

That was the way I was leaning, but I always like to ask folks more knowledgeable than myself.

I forgot to mention I was planing on going with the Eldred Esquire wiring.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/11583

I'm not a fan of the "neck" position sound in the stock Esquire, it is a bit muddy. I've heard the "cocked wah" sound the Eldred gives.

Heard here at around the 2:40 mark

m.youtube.com/watch?v=JEFy4GOqEl4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DJEFy4GOqEl4

Would I need to change the 2nd 4700 capacitor since I'd be changing 0.047uF capacitor as well?

I appreciate the advice.

Your best bet would probably be to buy a few different values and just see which one you prefer. Capacitors are dirt cheap so why not experiment? The article mentions trying values between 1000pF and 6800pF but I doubt you'll needed to go higher than the recommended 4700. I would probably try 1000, 2200, and 4700 to start. Alligator clips are really handy for trials like this.

Back