Advice for clear glossing over a headstock decal...

Killswitch95

Now to be clear right out of the gate: This is NOT for those unsavory practices involving faked guitars...

Rather I've got a partscaster I'm building that isn't mainly Warmoth parts so rather than the Warmoth Metal decal I'm applying this:
fr38bfj.jpg

Clearly not fender, but holds the look nicely...

My neck is a CBS with vintage tint gloss on it, as I've never applied finish before I have a couple of questions:

1. With water slide decals, do they 100% need to be finished over, or can you get away with simply applying it and wiping off any excess glue...
2. If they do need to be finished over, about how many coats is a good amount? Keep in mind the neck already has finish on it so I was thinking maybe 1 or 2?
3. I was planning on using can clear gloss that's been warmed to prevent splatter, but I imagine I still need to buff it smooth to clear, any advice? (Would a buffing wheel on a dremel work rather than sandpaper?)

This will also advise me on the body as I have a few decals I'd like to make permanent with a gloss over applied so this would help in that respect as well...

Any advice honestly will help...

No, they don't have to be finished over, many vintage guitars did not. But they are more prone to damage/discolor without clear coat.

I recommend a good 10 coats if you plan to try and smooth the edges or wet sand to a gloss finish. You can sand through 2 coats without even trying.

Don't shoot the messenger...

How to finish decals is something we are meant to avoid any discussion of on the forum or provide links to other sites. Even if you are not intending to use a Fender decal there is a chance the information would be used by others and it is one of the stricter forum rules.

stratamania said:

How to finish decals is something we are meant to avoid any discussion of on the forum or provide links to other sites. Even if you are not intending to use a Fender decal there is a chance the information would be used by others and it is one of the stricter forum rules.

Okay okay, last time I thought it was because I had originally intended on a Fender decal but then A) It's all Warmoth parts so that's just rude and B) If I eventually, or someone I gave it to eventually tried to sell it as Fender yeah that's illegal...

The only reason I brought it up again was thinking it was strictly a fender thing, but I see now it's just all around not discussed which is fair, my bad...

stratamania said:

Then shouldn’t we also avoid discussions like how to screw a neck into a body, how to solder in new pickups, how to refinish, etc. as these skills can also be used for nefarious purposes?

Bill, tgo

Unlike soldering or using a screwdriver, affixing decals to headstocks is something directly/expressly forbidden in Warmoth's license agreement with Fender, and we therefore choose to err on the side of extreme caution/prudence.

Lbpesq said:
stratamania said:

Then shouldn’t we also avoid discussions like how to screw a neck into a body, how to solder in new pickups, how to refinish, etc. as these skills can also be used for nefarious purposes?

Bill, tgo

Those things are not mentioned in the rules, though decals are. So a bit of a strawman and not equivalent.

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=33749.msg467507#msg467507

Guidelines for the Unofficial Warmoth Discussion Board

If it is something about decals in general that may be something that has been discussed but when a thread mentions a Fender decal or the intention is not to fake, to me that is getting borderline.

The Aaron said:
Unlike soldering or using a screwdriver, affixing decals to headstocks is something directly/expressly forbidden in Warmoth's license agreement with Fender, and we therefore choose to err on the side of extreme caution/prudence.
I guess this forum isn't as unofficial as the name implies. :)

electric__steve said:
The Aaron said:

I believe it's unofficial in the sense Warmoth assumes no liability or verification for any of the information provided, most of the users here are fans/builders and do not speak or represent Warmoth. We're lucky to have the Warmoth gang to come by and directly answer some questions. Even it it were entirely independent, it would have to make concessions/agreements to use the Warmoth trademark. But, how would I know, because I also am not a Warmoth rep, but just an average Joe on the internet.

SERVICE
This board is not managed by Warmoth Guitar Products, Inc. nor is Warmoth responsible for any of its content. This board exists to provide a place where Warmoth enthusiasts can share useful information about Warmoth and related parts. This site is not an official Warmoth Customer Support forum. If you have issues with the Warmoth company, please contact them directly.

You understand and agree that the site is provided "AS-IS".  The board is not responsible for statements made by any members on the site. Further, the board assumes no responsibility for decisions that you might make related to information provided by Unofficial Warmoth or others on the site.

Board administration may change, add or remove any part of these guidelines, or any other guidelines associated with the use of the board, at any time, by posting a notice of such changes to the PLEASE READ section of the site. Any changes shall become part of the Guidelines and shall apply as soon as such notice is posted. By continuing to use the site after the notice is posted, you are indicating your acceptance of those changes.

electric__steve said:
The Aaron said:

"Unofficial" doesn't mean "disrespect" and "disregard."  Despite the lack of official endorsed affiliation, Warmoth permits us to play in their yard.  It is well within their rights to shut this forum down if they deemed it necessary.

Any IP owner does when it comes to fan sites.  Just because they don't doesn't mean they can't.  As an example, replace "Warmoth" with "Star Wars" (ask me how I know).  LucasFilm does not play when it comes to defending their copyrights and trademarks. Warmoth has the right to do the same.

And that permission to play in their playground comes with some responsibilities on our part.

if the Big W dont own and operate this board, who does?? ? who is the wizard behind the curtain of unofficial? 

My turtles, (I'm stealing this term of endearment from BR) of course the big W owns and moderates this board. Who else would, or could? (Without our blessing, anyway...)

We call this place "unofficial" because though the content orbits around Warmoth and its products, most of the information contained and discussed here is neither Warmoth tested nor approved. The photos and videos shared here have not been vetted by Warmoth. IOW, this website is not a source of "official" Warmoth information.

The point being, if someone comes here and learns about some modification to a Warmoth part and in attempting it ruins their neck, or tries some finish technique that ruins their body, or buys some expensive part from us only to find it is not compatible with some piece of hardware that they saw someone using here, Warmoth is not on the hook to provide a remedy.

Generally we let people discuss whatever they want here, so long as those discussions fall within the scope of the rules. We are even fine with people criticizing Warmoth (to a certain extent). But there are certain topics we pounce on immediately when we see them, because about 70 employee's families and tens of thousands of customers depend on us doing so.

Make sense?

That is breathtakingly beautiful Mr. Rob!  :glasses9:

Me: I AM THE GREAT AND POWERFUL....
My wife: Let me stop you right there.

The Aaron said:
That is breathtakingly beautiful Mr. Rob!  :glasses9:

Me: I AM THE GREAT AND POWERFUL....
My wife: Let me stop you right there.

Powerfull.... frankly I don't know, but Great, totally  :headbang:

Great videos, great forum very well moderated, who could ask for more...

Back