ACAP or BMI?

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Master Member
Business Question for my artist friends.
ASCAP or BMI?
Last time I did this, all this was already established and done for me. Now I’m doing it on my own for my own project.
So, which one do you prefer, and what are your pros and cons of each. Spare no details either please.

I’m also already in contact with an entertainment attorney in the area to set up the business structure for the band, publishing, etc.

From my POV, both of them suck about equally. Having said that, I'm on SOCAN, which also sucks. :)

I'm with ASCAP, but I don't really think it matters all that much. Do some research online and you'll find people praising and panning both of them in equal measure.

Best option IMO is just to pick one and get on with writing more music.

From my POV, both of them suck about equally. Having said that, I'm on SOCAN, which also sucks. :)

I'm no expert, but I've visited many cities in Canada and am friends with several songwriters/recording artists who live there, and my impression is that Canada is much more supportive of the arts in general than the US.

Nice to know it sucks there too! ;)

ASCAP... $50 I could have spent on anything else and have something to show for. I filed as both artist and producer back when I still thought I might be able to get syncs (flawed idea because I wasn't creating formula content) or more airplay. Had some stuff broadcast just before registering but not after, so have never seen a penny. I guess if you're actually doing well in a market (really astute/committed or have a machine behind you) you might get some royalties your way. Maybe listing your membership deters some unscrupulous types from comping or broadcasting your stuff. But I agree with Aaron... pick one and get on with your music 😁

ASCAP... $50 I could have spent on anything else and have something to show for. I filed as both artist and producer back when I still thought I might be able to get syncs (flawed idea because I wasn't creating formula content) or more airplay. Had some stuff broadcast just before registering but not after, so have never seen a penny. I guess if you're actually doing well in a market (really astute/committed or have a machine behind you) you might get some royalties your way. Maybe listing your membership deters some unscrupulous types from comping or broadcasting your stuff. But I agree with Aaron... pick one and get on with your music 😁

How long ago was that? It's been many years since I signed with ASCAP (both as a writer and producer) and don't remember paying anything. Maybe that has since changed.

I’ll be doing as a writer and as a producer, hoping to borrow more the the model used by Steve Vai and the Foo Fighters. Create your own label, then externally seek distribution, this way I retain the publishing and the distributor gets a flat amount per unit. I don’t intend to lisence to streaming until I see the payout for artists more fairly represented, we’ll likely sell direct to consumer though our website and only license to select electronic retailers like CD Baby or iTunes.

I’ll be doing as a writer and as a producer, hoping to borrow more the the model used by Steve Vai and the Foo Fighters. Create your own label, then externally seek distribution, this way I retain the publishing and the distributor gets a flat amount per unit. I don’t intend to lisence to streaming until I see the payout for artists more fairly represented, we’ll likely sell direct to consumer though our website and only license to select electronic retailers like CD Baby or iTunes.

Bandcamp is great as well. I've made sales there.

How long ago was that? It's been many years since I signed with ASCAP (both as a writer and producer) and don't remember paying anything. Maybe that has since changed.
That was back around maybe 2009-2010? It was $25 per membership.

Back