About to start some Strat-project, couple of Qs left...

Bierschinken

Hi there,

I´m gonna start a Strat-project in the future but I´ve got some questions left...

1) Where is the difference between cream-colored parts and parchment?
Is parchment something like an aged white but not with the yellow-touch as cream?

2) How do I best drill those holes for the pickguard without damaging the laquer finish?

3) Has anyone a picture of a neck with flatsawn and a pic of a quartersawn maple neck?

4) Does an angled single coil fit into a HSS-Body? (Pickguard mounted)

5) What is the neck plate pad good for?

Thanks guys!

Bierschinken said:
Hi there,

I´m gonna start a Strat-project in the future but I´ve got some questions left...

Is parchment something like an aged white but not with the yellow-touch as cream?

2) How do I best drill those holes for the pickguard without damaging the laquer finish?

3) Has anyone a picture of a neck with flatsawn and a pic of a quartersawn maple neck?

5) What is the neck plate pad good for?

Thanks guys!

Wecome!

I can answer a couple.

4. I'm pretty sure you can.

5. It protects the finish on the body from the metal neck plate.

Does your angled single coil means bridge strat pickup? tele strat pickup? If yes, I don't really know if it will fit, but I think the bridge strat should be longer than the middle/neck...

About 2) Why don't you buy an already routed pickguard???

3) what's the doubt about quartersawn/flatsawn??
This picture should help:
saw.jpg

Perhaps SkuttleFunk or other master guys here can explain, but what I know is Quarter sawn/Rift sawn are better for neck stability than flat...

Bierschinken said:
Exactly.  It's kind of dusty white w/o the yellowing effect usually associated with sun fading.

Bierschinken said:
Center punch the hole and drill a pilot.  When you've got the drill centered and ready, go in reverse for a second to bevel the entrance a bit, then go forward.

Bierschinken said:
Yup

2) tape the pickguard down securely in the exact position that you want it. Then drill the holes carefully through the actual pickguard holes, not too deep, using a drill press. I drill three holes, then put screws in them, then drill the rest of the holes.

As tfarny says, but if you have one of those to make the first hole, helps a lot..
PUNCAO%20ANATOMICO%20internet.jpg

Don't know the name in english... It's like a big neddle, used in woodworking to make the first hole before drill...

Welcome.  As for number 4, I put an angled single coil in my h-s-s routed strat with a pickguard, so it can be done, but it did take a little futzing to get it right.  I had to be careful of how I ran the wires under it, because the Hum route has a raised bit of wood in the middle, and the single coil had the potential to squash the wires in an unfriendly way.  With a little creativity and time taken, though, it most certainly can be done.

Hey guys,

thanks for all your replies!
That helped a lot....

Does anyone know if i can choose frets on a full scalloped neck?
I´ve read that they only come with Dunlop 6100(?), but in the showcase are some scalloped necks without any frets!?

Btw; I´ve seen some pics of those quartersawn necks, now I know, that I´m gonna go for the flatsawn ones  :icon_biggrin:

Greetz from Germany!

Back