A word of caution to anyone building a Warmoth Firebird: Knob placement

RockStarNick

So, just as a public service announcement: If anyone is planning to build a Warmoth Firebird, with the raised center laminate option, GIBSON STYLE KNOBS WILL NOT FIT.  I found this out the hard way.

I always wondered about the knob hole placement on the Warmoth firebirds.  But I *assumed* that they wouldn't route the holes too close.
web.jpg

Well, I was wrong. With the standard hole locations, the only knobs that will work are 7/8" diameter metal dome knobs.  The standard 1" diameter plastic knobs don't clear the ridge.
web.jpg

Despite a bunch of folks telling me to return it, I decided to just fix it myself.

I lowered the holes by 1/8".
web.jpg

Then I plugged the upper portion with half-moon shaped wood plugs.
web.jpg

Once the potentiometer is installed, the washer covers up the plug completely anyway,
web.jpg

And now, the knob will clear the raised center laminate ridge just fine.
web.jpg

It's not an "end of the world" type issue here, and it was a relatively easy (but time consuming) fix.  But I just wish that Warmoth did some better testing before they settled on the hole placement. Or, at the very least, give a warning on the website that the holes will only accept 7/8" diameter metal dome knobs.

That's something I noticed too... they use a Les Paul control-layout template.

Real Firebird control layout is this:

Gibson-2006-firebird-polari.jpg

gibson-firebird-2.jpg

Thanks for letting everyone know about this, and nice job taking care of the problem! I'm looking forward to seeing your guitar finished. :headbang:

Velcro said:
Warmoth should fix that, unless some copyright BS stops them from doing that.
I am sure they have already noted this thread and are discussing it.
First thing I noticed was how the original firebird had odd placement and theirs was more symmetrical.
I also can say from experience, that they do not always do exact copies, I called about having a Toronado Body made, they said closest thing they could do is a Jazz master body with a rear route and I would do the drilling of holes. I can live with that. But this here is different, these are the holes they drilled, I think it is the raised section that this has come up, So they change the design. It is called development and with out customer feed back how can you develop a product?

I actually prefer the W layout to the Gibson layout. Looks cleaner, jack is on the side, and it looks more symmetrical.

Now that the knob fits properly, it's gonna rock.

UPDATE: Warmoth contacted me today, and apologized for the issue. They're already on it, and working with the CNC programmers to resolve the issue.

Nice!!!  :headbang:

RockStarNick said:
UPDATE: Warmoth contacted me today, and apologized for the issue. They're already on it, and working with the CNC programmers to resolve the issue.

That's great to know they're so proactive. Good work!

Wow, thats cool that they apologized.  And thats a great DIY solution you came up with.  Looks like its going to be a nice build when its done.

RockStarNick said:

Maybe they could call their reprogrammed knob placement, the RSN mod, in your honour? :icon_jokercolor:

RockStarNick said:

It's great of them to own up to the issue and get it resolved. And mega DIY points to you for your nifty little solution.  :icon_thumright: 

Also, that 'bird is going to be killer!

I love how proactive W is. Just think how many glitches/problems we have caught, and how they always get fixed :icon_thumright:

Love this 'bird by the way, makes me really want to get my own.

Nightclub Dwight said:
Dude, I was just about to say the same thing, but you beat me to it.  Its almost like you're reading my mind.

It's a spam bot, the text is a link...

JaySwear said:
if only i had payed better attention in russian class :sad1: it's "how...?" something haha

It's "How to beat acne?"

Use Google Translator...

Back