A warning about ordering Strat knobs from Warmoth

I fixed my post so no one gets confused.

It's the hole that goes down over the pot that is too small for a solid shaft pot that gets reamed out.
Yes, I do back out the set screw a bit before reaming.

It's very quick and easy with a titanium bit.

If I want the look and feature of a hex key set screw, and want to use CTS solid shaft pots then I see this as the only way of getting it done.

You can use set-screw knobs designed for solid shafts on knurled/split shafts. I do it all the time. The only trick to it is you have to orient the knob in such a way as to impact the split with the set screw rather than one of the halves of the shaft. Forces the split to stay open, and gives the set screw something to bite into in such a way as to prevent the knob from getting loose, wobbling or breaking the shaft.

The downside to it is if you have knobs with markings on them, then you might have orientation issues. "0" or "10" or an indicator marking might not show up in the rotation exactly where you'd like. But, sometimes that can be alleviated by re-orientating the pot. Loosen up the pot's retainer nut, re-orient it so the split is in the place you need it, then tighten it back down and reinstall the knob as described above.

Steve_Karl said:

It's the hole that goes down over the pot that is too small for a solid shaft pot that gets reamed out.

If I want the look and feature of a hex key set screw, and want to use CTS solid shaft pots then I see this as the only way of getting it done.
By chance are you ordering 6mm knobs instead of 1/4 knobs?

TBurst Std said:
Steve_Karl said:

Close 5.86mm ID

I use these: http://www.warmoth.com/Flat-Top-Knob-Black-P369C824.aspx

I've never seen 1/4" knobs with hex set screws. Warmoth doesn't carry them and it's not really worth the extra time to find them
elsewhere now that I've seen how easy it is to fix.

Steve_Karl said:
TBurst Std said:
Steve_Karl said:

Close 5.86mm ID

I use these: http://www.warmoth.com/Flat-Top-Knob-Black-P369C824.aspx

I've never seen 1/4" knobs with hex set screws. Warmoth doesn't carry them and it's not really worth the extra time to find them
elsewhere now that I've seen how easy it is to fix.
FYI they are definitely out there.  StewMac has them as well as other places.

I have a custom built Strat I am working on and I decided to get EVH 250k Speed Pots and they use a solid shaft and a Seymour Duncan Liberator to setup a Pickup changeable Wiring Harness.

Both EVH and SD do not list what the shaft diameters are for their products and I have ran into issues trying to get knobs for these parts from a different supplier.

I ended up learning solid knobs tend to be [6.24mm (1/4")]  and the split knobs usually run roughly 6mm (.24") and are a bit more forgiving because they can be bent can be adjusted (be careful not to bend to breaking point, These also come in 2 varieties a shaft with 18 splines (Alpha) or with 24 splines(CTS)).

What else I learned:

Top Hat Bell : Usually come in 2 formats : 18 splines (Alpha) or with 24 splines(CTS) usually for Split shaft 6mm
Dome Knobs: Come in both 6mm & 1/4" varieties
Flat-top Knob: Come in both 6mm & 1/4" varieties
Loknob: Come in both 6mm & 1/4" varieties
Fuggedaboudit Tour Cap: Come in both 6mm & 1/4" varieties

Strat Knob: Usually come in 6mm (Alpha & CTS configs)
Speed Knob: Usually come in 6mm (Alpha & CTS configs)
Chickenhead Knob: Usually for 6mm (18 Spline or Alpha)
Bevel-top Knob: Usually for 6mm (18 Spline or Alpha)

Pedal Knobs: Usually come in 1/4" config

You can also try to source knobs for other devices like stereos and record players just make sure the Shaft Diameters will work with what ever Potentiometer you choose.

Then of course you could eliminate all the trouble, problems and guesswork and just get some knobs from Knobeez.
Fits any pot. I know, I've tried them on different types of pots.

Group-Knobeez.jpg

[youtube]https://youtu.be/2Jlf95Eg_Ko[/youtube]

Back