A Few Questions

TruBrit

Hey Guys :headbang:

Just Recieved My LP Body & Neck ( see pics in just out of the box)

A Few Daft Questions

1:-  Is It Necessery To Sheild the control cavity before fitting pots ?
2:-  What is the protective tape used to mask up while working on body ?
3:-  Is there a technical way of setting out & fitting the pickup rings ?

Cheers Anyone................ :rock-on:

TruBrit said:
Hey Guys :headbang:

Just Recieved My LP Body & Neck ( see pics in just out of the box)

A Few Daft Questions

1:-  Is It Necessery To Sheild the control cavity before fitting pots ?
2:-  What is the protective tape used to mask up while working on body ?
3:-  Is there a technical way of setting out & fitting the pickup rings ?

Cheers Anyone................ :rock-on:

1. Necessary, no... but it sure can't hurt.  I'd say do it... it's cheap and easy, and hum sucks.
2. It's called painter's tape, it's blue, you can get it at Home Depot or Walmart or something.  Though you sound a bit British, old bean, so I don't know what stores you have.
3. Beats me, I just eyeballed it on mine.  CB, what do you think?

1.) You can the control cavity shield all you want, but the net effect is nil.
2.) "What is the protective tape used to mask up while working on body ?" What do you think you need to mask for doing which work? Blue painter's tape good for masking places where you are drilling pilot holes for mounting rings, etc. Always keep a folded towel UNDER the body when assembling/doing other work to avoid scratching finish.
3.) I typically just mount the pickup in the ring; pull the wiring leads through the route and center in pickup route. Push the pickup flush against one edge or another of the route and ensure it's straight and drill the first two pilot holes through the mounting ring catty-corner from one another, install the two screws and then drill/install the other two

The best tool I've found for evening out the pickup rings so they'll fit flush and tight is one of those diamond-encrusted nail files. Check around your wife's makeup stash and you'll probably find one. Just don't tell her it was my idea.

RLW said:
The best tool I've found for evening out the pickup rings so they'll fit flush and tight is one of those diamond-encrusted nail files. Check around your wife's makeup stash and you'll probably find one. Just don't tell her it was my idea.
Jeez, is everyone here married but me?  :sad1:

Single and overjoyed about it here, but I try to appeal to the majority when I post. It's an election year, dont'cha know?

(I spent some money today, and didn't have to ask anybody's damn permission. YEE-HAW!!!)

RLW said:
Single and overjoyed about it here, but I try to appeal to the majority when I post. It's an election year, dont'cha know?

Hehe, RLW, so are we to understand you're a bachelor and you keep diamond-coated nail files around?  :laughing7:

dbw said:
RLW said:
Jeez, is everyone here married but me?  :sad1:

haha, no, I'm not married too! but hey, I'm just 21.

dbw said:
RLW said:

Hehe, RLW, so are we to understand you're a bachelor and you keep diamond-coated nail files around?  :laughing7:

Hey, those things last for years!!!

:toothy12:

dbw said:
RLW said:

Maybe he glommed it from his sister

A set of these is a good investment of $25...

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Coated-Needle-Jewelers-Lapidary/dp/B000OVNPEI/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1204077348&sr=8-2

I used my wife's sanitary towel (a new one - to avoid any disgusting discussion)  to mute tremolo springs. It's got some adhesive strips which helps to stick it to tremolo cover and it works just perfect.  :guitarplayer2:

Orpheo said:
haha, no, I'm not married too! but hey, I'm just 21.

Are you kidding that you're younger than me and have ALL those guitars???

Hey or you're stinking rich or I'm moving to Holland this F&%$@ weekend!

if the body happens to be finished in Nitro ... blue painter's tape is NOT a good masking material!!!

On a Warmoth finished body there is no issue, since they don't utilize Nitro (at least at the time when I originally posted this) But if you have a body finished with the ReRanch products you will need to pay attention unless you want a gummy mess of your finish

all the best,

R

RLW said:

(I spent some money today, and didn't have to ask anybody's damn permission. YEE-HAW!!!)

How old are you guys? Im 22 and getting married in 2 months  :toothy10:

JamesL said:
Wow, I always feel so young on this board... 17, and Single in a sort?

same here, wish i was in music school, wish i had a car, wish i could kill with a stare, wish i wish i was a fish.

Why a fish? If I were going to be in the water I would be a shark  :toothy12:

I wouldn't know too much about the whole music school scene YET, doesn't start until monday.

i tend to let my thoughts out onto this magic box when i type, its very entertaining...... to me at least.

I have been searching for this "low adhesion" tape ever since it was suggested by the Taylor Guitar techs, 'how to clean a fretboard ( masking off the soundhole)' on their website, but I have never found any such named tape. He used a brown low adhesion masking tape....I have searched Home Depot Lowes..et al...With no luck....

So, do I understand that it is just 'painters blue tape' ?  :sign13:

This plentiful supply of blue painters tape is 'low adhesion enough' to be used on guitar surfaces????

Back