A couple of suggestions

rspst14

1.  It would be nice if there were a bit more variety in the showcase necks in regards to back shapes.  It seems like over 90% of the necks in there have the standard thin shape.  I understand that it makes sense to produce a large number of necks with the most popular choice, but I'd love to see more Wolfgang or SRV necks.

I posted these on the old board, but since those topics aren't getting moved over to the new one, I'll briefly mention them here...

2.  Support for the Earvana OEM nut.  These things are great, and they fit the current LSR route perfectly.  The problem is that the route is too deep unless you're using small vintage-style frets.  If you could just create a new routing that's the same as the LSR but with a bit less depth, it would be perfect.  Gregg, I know you said that you guys would eventually get around to this, I hope it happens.  I hate having to create a thin shim out of a nut blank, it's tough to get it just right without any precision tools.

3.  An option for a widened Strat jack pocket to accomodate the 9 pin pre-wired stereo jacks used by some active electronic systems.  For example, the L.R. Baggs X-Bridge requires removing some wood from inside the pocket in order for it to fit.

I agree with your suggestions, whole-heartedly. And I'd like to make a couple others. First, let me say that my experience with Warmoth quality is great. The finishes are terrific, nuts cut spot-on, mounting-drill impeccible. Fret-work (except on stainless, which is too blunt-finished on the ends) is outstanding.

But....I'd like to see more straight radius vintage and 9.5" necks, with true-to-period neck shapes, i.e. Classic '62 C profile for Tele, and way fewer "standard-thin" in the Showcase. Far too many rosewood Tele necks, too few vintage spec necks and no three-bolt option for the vintage-spec necks (which is what they were used on).

I've loved Warmoth stuff for years and have a few necks I absolutely love, but the trend to be pushing "pro-construction" and far-fewer vintage necks troubles me. It's a shame to see the company I thought had it so right for so long, going astray. It's caused me to look elsewhere.

You can order straight radius/neck contour and whatever "vintage" wood option you want; what goes in the Showcase is based on what sells in volume...

As to "no three-bolt option for the vintage-spec necks (which is what they were used on)"; three bolt necks/plates were only used from '71-'79, the absolute low point of crap being produced during the CBS era; who'd want to reprise those models? Even being "vintage" you can buy '70s 3 bolt models for about the same as what a new American Strat/Tele costs, they have no real collector's value and haven't appreciated at all in the last decade or so....

Actually Jack, 70's CBS Strats are in the 2k range now.  It kind of stupid to me.  Who who pay that much for a boat anchor that may or may not play good and has the resonance of a brick, especially when you can buy a brand spankin' new American Strat for $900 OTD!!!  With 2k I could make a totally tricked out Warmoth Strat with all sorts of wicked woods, pickups and finishes for cryin' out loud.  I guess people are just nostalgic to the point of being retarded...:tard:
-Rose

Well, it seems they use the showcase for the 'mass market' (relatively speaking) stuff and also some rare, special, see-it-to-believe-it stuff. I can imagine that the stuff you guys are describing would tend to sit around quite a while. I've ordered a custom body and a custom neck, and I've been really pleased. It's a leap of faith, but so far I'm a very satisfied customer.

Earvana nuts are easy to install on the standard nut rout. Why would you want a new 3-bolt neck? I never understood the point of new guitars made with old bad designs (as opposed to old good designs).

Jack....if you track the serial numbers, there were tens (perhaps hundreds) of thousands of units produced in the 70s, many with 3-bolt necks, and although they aren't high-priced collectors as some other models, adding that volume together with what'sbeing produced today in three-bolt as reissues, makes that mounting style more than a minor % of the market.

The suggestion box seemed like it's for collecting the opinions of players & builders. I do both, and have owned Fenders for 40 years, so take the opinions graciously. They're meant as purely constructive. I'm a huge fan of Warmoth necks, but not big on compound radius, and I prefer to see a finished neck in the Showcase, before I buy it. It gives me the opportunity to see the finish, the tint and the grain. So, ordering sight unseen, isn't something I like to do. That being said....too bad you don't have as many terrific original 70s Fenders as some of us. They're great guitars, as are some of the reissues. Fender wouldn't still be building them, if nobody bought them.

"Actually Jack, 70's CBS Strats are in the 2k range now."

Yep, they can, there's a sucker born every minute; but one just a few scant years older goes for 10 times as much...

"Jack....if you track the serial numbers, there were tens (perhaps hundreds) of thousands of units produced in the 70s, many with 3-bolt necks, and although they aren't high-priced collectors as some other models, adding that volume together with what'sbeing produced today in three-bolt as reissues, makes that mounting style more than a minor % of the market."

Sure, but that still doesn't make it a good idea... I especially wonder about whatever rocket scientist at Fender came up with the bright idea; "Let's do re-issues of the worst shit we ever turned out...."

"Fender wouldn't still be building them, if nobody bought them."

See "sucker born every minute" comment above...  I've owned Strats/Teles from every decade save the 2000s over the course of the last 37 years, oldest being a '54; and the opinions expressed are simply from personal experience...

You can drill your own three bolt necks if that's what floats your boat; but in seriously, that's unlikely to ever be an option from Warmoth. I've custom ordered more necks than I've bought off the Showcase as it can be hard to find "exactly" what your vision is, take the plunge and custom order exactly what you want, and odds are long you won't be displeased with the result. You can always finish it just the way you want, doing a neck finish is no big deal

Showcase is a good option, that's what I always say when I have the same thoughts like they don't have enough of this or that. I'm happy the showcase exists, it's something the other part companies don't have. I have realized one thing though: I will never find a neck I like in the showcase just because the options of necks are a lot and they 're important. I have bought two bodies from the showcase and I have ordered two necks. Warmoth is a company and they are promoting their thing, the Warmoth Pro necks with the compound radius. If you add the popular thin back shape, these are the three things I don't want in my necks!

If you ask a Warmoth employe this question he will tell you the same thing: Warmoth is a parts company, order your neck as you want it, showcase is just an option. As for the three bolt necks... I'm not a vintage correct guy, I guess that's why I like custom guitars. If I had a 70's Fender and was changing the neck, I would do it right the second time with a 4 bolt on neck.

One thing I would like to see is Vintage Modern construction necks with the same wood availiability as Warmoth Pro necks. Again I understand the need to promote the Pro necks as it's their thing, but custom guitar means trying different woods and the Vintage Modern necks have minimal choices. It's the main reason I'm not thinking of another Warmoth guitar in the future.

Warmoth does the 3 bolt option, but you've got to get your own hardware.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_guitar_neck_pocket.cfm

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=heel

Scroll down to the bottom on both of those links.

Kostas said:
Showcase is a good option, that's what I always say when I have the same thoughts like they don't have enough of this or that. I'm happy the showcase exists, it's something the other part companies don't have. I have realized one thing though: I will never find a neck I like in the showcase just because the options of necks are a lot and they 're important. I have bought two bodies from the showcase and I have ordered two necks. Warmoth is a company and they are promoting their thing, the Warmoth Pro necks with the compound radius. If you add the popular thin back shape, these are the three things I don't want in my necks!

If you ask a Warmoth employe this question he will tell you the same thing: Warmoth is a parts company, order your neck as you want it, showcase is just an option. As for the three bolt necks... I'm not a vintage correct guy, I guess that's why I like custom guitars. If I had a 70's Fender and was changing the neck, I would do it right the second time with a 4 bolt on neck.

One thing I would like to see is Vintage Modern construction necks with the same wood availiability as Warmoth Pro necks. Again I understand the need to promote the Pro necks as it's their thing, but custom guitar means trying different woods and the Vintage Modern necks have minimal choices. It's the main reason I'm not thinking of another Warmoth guitar in the future.

I'm pretty sure Warmoth will do whatever you want even if it isn't listed on the website.  It's all about the money.  Money talks like words don't.

dudesweet157 said:
I'm pretty sure Warmoth will do whatever you want even if it isn't listed on the website.  It's all about the money.  Money talks like words don't.

I know that. My second neck is a special order. It would be cheaper though if it wasn't...

Buying from the Showcase is quicker, and in some cases, less costly than special order. A lot quicker.

Back