A couple of newbie-questions

Jusatele said:
Bottom line is Yes you can do it, and if one step is not what you can do, farm it out.

"Yes I can do it, and if one step is not what I can do, I'll farm it out!"

I think those words will follow me forever!  :)

Thanks so much everyone for your input, really made my day!  :icon_biggrin:

Now I have some serious considerations to make... But I gotta say, I'm more thrilled about this build-a-guitar-thing then I've ever been before!  :toothy10:

Just remember: don't be ashamed or afraid to ask for help. That's why we're here. It's a community with a common goal - to build nice guitars. We all learn and benefit from each other's experience. I don't think anybody's keeping any secrets.

I would suggest, if you aren't against experimentation, getting a raw neck. I would guess most necks you have played are either Maple/Maple, Maple/Rosewood, or Mahogany/rosewood. Typical combination s of Fenders, Gibsons, etc.

A raw neck from Warmoth may seem more expensive at first, but with frets installed, a pre-cut slotted nut installed... It's about the same price as if you bought a Maple neck with all those things + the expensive finish. A raw neck is woods such as Rosewood, Wenge, Goncalo Alves, Afra, Bubinba, Pau Ferro, Canary (Similar to the sound of a maple neck), Purpleheart, Padouk, Bocote, Cocobolo, Satine, Bloodwood, or Ziricote. I think I got them all.

Anyways, a neck made out of those woods (Lets say, a Goncalo neck shaft with an Ebony fretboard) will require no finish. It may sound off putting at first, but I find these necks easier to play on, and they feel faster. Plus, the raw wood feels surprisingly good, especially once you're used to it. You can bet your arse you'll be the only one in the area with an exotic neck, too.  :icon_thumright:

That's who I'm going to be: the guy in my area with the exotic (bubinga/bubinga)-necked Strat; I just got the goodies for my first whole-guitar build yesterday. I'm a 100% disabled vet, and for reasons related to that, I knew I wasn't going to spray poly, or nitro...I don't even have a vented enclosure, come to that. I found the most beautiful black korina/black korina chambered(!) Strat body in showcase---already cleared! I felt like the OP and others here about the obviously big investment in time and precision that must go into scratching out a neck. That's time I'd rather spend playing music....So for a Few Dollars More, I chose a slotted, fretted, top-routed neck/body from Showcase, and I'm pretty confident of my ability to install my choice of hardware (I got everything I wanted at Warmoth and Carvin); I've been soldering ever since I had HO slot cars in the 1960s. I'm so confident that this first 'build' will be a breeze that I already have the works for a Showcase mix Thinline on the way. I'll check in with you experienced builders along the way, or at least when it/they are done.
Thanks for being here, BTW; this is my first post, but I've been reading this forum for a while now.

hippiekarl

:redflag:  I'm really SORRY for the off topic .....

hippiekarl said:
I've been soldering ever since I had HO slot cars in the 1960s.

You mean something like this, that I built in my double back garage.  :icon_biggrin:

Hours of fun and laughter  :cool01:

RIGHT
47137d03.jpg

LEFT
863de96a.jpg

2 ROAD CROSSINGS, FOR LOTS OF CRASHS  :laughing3:
d4b5dd22.jpg

TRAIN CROSSING, FOR BETTER CRASHS  :laughing7:
9f6976ed.jpg

PITS / LAP TIMER
1d3c0c51.jpg

Wow. I guess if you're going to do it, may as well do it right, eh? <grin>

Updown said:
:redflag:  I'm really SORRY for the off topic .....

hippiekarl said:
I've been soldering ever since I had HO slot cars in the 1960s.

You mean something like this, that I built in my double back garage.  :icon_biggrin:

Hours of fun and laughter  :cool01:

:laughing7: Exactly! I had 4 lanes; no trains......Love the Michelin bridge!!!

Tipperman said:
I would suggest, if you aren't against experimentation, getting a raw neck. I would guess most necks you have played are either Maple/Maple, Maple/Rosewood, or Mahogany/rosewood. Typical combination s of Fenders, Gibsons, etc.

A raw neck from Warmoth may seem more expensive at first, but with frets installed, a pre-cut slotted nut installed... It's about the same price as if you bought a Maple neck with all those things + the expensive finish. A raw neck is woods such as Rosewood, Wenge, Goncalo Alves, Afra, Bubinba, Pau Ferro, Canary (Similar to the sound of a maple neck), Purpleheart, Padouk, Bocote, Cocobolo, Satine, Bloodwood, or Ziricote. I think I got them all.

Anyways, a neck made out of those woods (Lets say, a Goncalo neck shaft with an Ebony fretboard) will require no finish. It may sound off putting at first, but I find these necks easier to play on, and they feel faster. Plus, the raw wood feels surprisingly good, especially once you're used to it. You can bet your arse you'll be the only one in the area with an exotic neck, too.  :icon_thumright:

A raw neck? Just so I get this right, you mean a neck without finish? Sounds strange to me... But hey, I'm here to learn! :)
But I'll need a neck made out of an exotic wood then? I gotta do some research about those, I hardly know anything about them...

If so, I'm pretty sure that I'd be the only one in my area with an exotic neck, yes! That'd be pretty cool...  :cool01:

EDIT: For example a neck like this one then? http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?Body=1&Path=Spotlight&nWood=999&fWood=999&nOrientation=1&i=WN1177

Yes, he means a neck without a finish. They're quite nice. For most people, once they try one they don't go back to finished necks. The feel is just so much richer and better.

Not all woods can go without a finish, though. Some, such as Maple, Mahogany, and Koa must be finished or they'll warp/twist up on you and there's no way to adjust it out. Many others are perfectly stable. You can look through the neck woods descriptions on Warmoth's catalog site for descriptions of what to expect from the various species of woods they offer.

Many of those exotic woods cost more than the more traditional neck woods, but since you don't have to finish them, it's often a wash. Get yourself an Ebony over Pau Ferro neck with stainless steel frets, and you'll wonder if you've died and gone to heaven. It's like sex on a stick. Many other combinations are also as good.

Now, go forth and agonize over your myriad possibilities <grin>

Cagey said:
For most people, once they try one they don't go back to finished necks.
The feel is just so much richer and better.
I'm one of those people    :blob7:  ..... so I can vouch for that !!    :icon_thumright:

Cagey said:
Get yourself an Ebony over Pau Ferro neck with stainless steel frets,
It's like sex on a stick. Many other combinations are also as good.
:icon_scratch: Don't know if a 17yo will know what you mean by that  :laughing7:
But .....
Again I'm one of those people that would state exactly the same as Cagey's Quote  :icon_thumright:

Getting yourself a Raw neck at your young age would be the best thing possible.
WHY ?
Will make you a better guitar player  :guitarplayer2: ........  well it sure has improved my playing.
Just easier to play .....
They are so much smoother faster than painted or stained ones.
Compared to a couple of Gibson guitars with gloss finishes I have and some Warmoth finished ones.
The Raw Necks, crap all over them.
:party07:

Just have a look at comments about anyone that has a Warmoth Raw Neck  :icon_biggrin:

Here are a couple of showcase pic's of necks I bought since seeing the light  :sign13:
All had SS Frets and Graph Tech Nuts installed by Warmoth.

Pau-Ferro / Ebony

c2ab6deb.jpg

4f646122.jpg

Pau-Ferro / Ebony Macassar

c3539ea9.jpg

211f9201.jpg

Bocote / Zirocote

eb2d4780.jpg

5d00bb19.jpg

Wenge / Wenge

e77f8893.jpg

4e523392.jpg

Indian Rosewood / Indian Rosewood

5fa414cf.jpg

3b9c26e4.jpg

Rosewood / Rosewood

1ce0bd07.jpg

5ff46e31.jpg

Concalo Alves / Pau-Ferro

56025601.jpg

bd51dc0c.jpg

:icon_scratch:    I THINK I'M CONVERTED    :doh:

This was quite interesting actually! But one thing... Won't a neck without a finish be worned down much faster then a neck with a finish? Just thinking...  :blob7: (don't know what that smiley is supposed to mean but nevermind!)

JonatanOTG said:
But one thing... Won't a neck without a finish be worned down much faster then a neck with a finish? Just thinking... 
(don't know what that smiley is supposed to mean)
:dontknow:  Ask me that in 10 years time and I'll give you an answer  :icon_biggrin:

I like your thought thou  :icon_thumright:

Don't know about that smilie, But it goes with my name Updown  :blob7:  .......  :laughing7:

The only time I've seen noticeable neck wood wear has been on the fretboard, which with the exception of Maple is rarely finished, and it was more likely due to the animals that played the thing not keeping their fingernails trimmed. Even then, it takes many years.

Many of these imported hardwoods are exceptionally hard. Some of them so much so that they'll make fretless fretboards out of them. Ebony, Kingwood and Pau Ferro are all in that category. Very hard and dense, with very small pores.

+1 on ebony over pau ferro with SS frets. To me it is platonic perfection in a neck, didn't think it was possible in reality.

Back