'72 Tele Deluxe with whammy...

fiat_cc

First post...
So I've started collecting bits for a Tele Deluxe build. So far I have Lollar Regal pickups, Gotoh 510 locking tuners with Schaller style buttons, and a Callaham Vintage Strat trem. Body will be a Warmoth alder Tele Deluxe body in gloss black with a AAA flame maple CBS Strat neck. Hoping to have all the bits by the end of the year...

Welcome to the board!

Sounds like a nice fiddle. I'll look forward to seeing the build pics.

Well, probably not going to make it by the end of the year.  All the hardware is sitting in the cupboard getting lonely, although I should at least have the body and pick guard soon (this is very much a slow, step by step, when money allows kind of build)...

In the mean time I've spent too much time thinking, and whilst I'm definite on gloss black Tele Deluxe body, I now can't decide on the neck.  It will be maple with a maple fret board, but I'm not sure if I want all the show of AAA flame, the more toned down regular grade flame, or just a regular quarter sawn neck.  It'll be finished vintage tint, but I can't decide gloss or satin.  My current guitar (an early 1980's Japanese Morris Tele Deluxe law suit knock off) is gloss and I like it, but satin can feel smoother.  Anyway, I'm not after definite solutions but I am interested in hearing peoples opinions and reasoning which might help me make a decision.  This isn't the kind of thing I can afford to do often, so I'd rather spend a little more money to get it right first time around because it'll be a long time before I get a second shot at it...
Cheers,
Reuben

I was gonna say, there's something you don't see every day. But we still don't see it.

Y'know... anything matches black. You have the entire catalog of exotic wood species open to you with a black body.

I understand you're thinking Maple, but you're also up in the air about gloss vs. satin finishes and are interested in a vintage tint. I submit that you don't use something that requires a finish. If you want the sound of Maple but the appearance of a vintage tint, you may want to consider either a Canary/Canary or Roasted Maple neck. Neither require a synthetic (hard) finish, but can be burnished to a very fine finish that feels like the best satin you ever put your hands on. Super smooth, super fast, just... deluxe.

I'm fortunate in that I don't get sweaty hands, so I can deal with any finish without hardship. Matters not to me. But, I'll tell ya, once you get a nice raw neck you'll never look back. They're the best. Plus, it saves you roughly $100 in finishing costs.

Black looks good with just about anything as you said Cagey, but i think light rosewood is pretty kool...
30U-18909_front.jpg

That's gorgeous! I'd never guess that's Rosewood, though. If it weren't a Gibson, I'd say it looks more like Canary.

Cagey said:
That's gorgeous! I'd never guess that's Rosewood, though. If it weren't a Gibson, I'd say it looks more like Canary.
Probably just the lighting..but yes it does look a bit like canary...But i'm afraid rosewood is about as exotic s Gibson gets..Last I remember the smartwood series was the last the dabbled with other woods than maple, rosewood and mahogany..

Canary is an interesting proposition.  I might also just keep an eye on the show case and see what pops up there.  I was pretty set on 6130 fret wire but everything in the showcase seems to be fitted with 6150 which is somewhat taller than I was after.  Still, if I can get used to the idea of taller frets, there are quite a lot of nice options in the showcase...

Raw canary is very good choice, particularly after a good polishing...I currently have 2 canary necks, one with ziricote board and one with pau ferro... :icon_thumright:

DangerousR6 said:
Probably just the lighting..but yes it does look a bit like canary...But i'm afraid rosewood is about as exotic s Gibson gets..Last I remember the smartwood series was the last the dabbled with other woods than maple, rosewood and mahogany.

I have a Gibson Melody Maker with a roasted Maple fretboard and a Maple body, which I thought was pretty off-the-wall for them. Never play it, though. Too different from everything else I have. Should probably put it up on eBay.

fiat_cc said:
Canary is an interesting proposition.  I might also just keep an eye on the show case and see what pops up there.  I was pretty set on 6130 fret wire but everything in the showcase seems to be fitted with 6150 which is somewhat taller than I was after.  Still, if I can get used to the idea of taller frets, there are quite a lot of nice options in the showcase...

Most showcase necks aren't fretted, but fretting is included in the cost. For an extra $20, you can get stainless, which is the only way to fly.

Taller frets are easier to play, but they may take some getting used to.

Gotcha.  Because all the CBS Strat necks in the showcase are finished necks, they've all got frets fitted.  Having had a look at other models that have unfinished necks available, I see that you do get a choice of frets...  I think I'm just so used to my Morris, where the frets are so worn it's almost a fretless, that the idea of tall frets is a little scary.  I'm sure I'd get used to it pretty quick, and I dare say it would make bigger bends easier (the Morris starts to buzz, or kill the note altogether)...

I'd be hesitant to say you'd get used to taller frets quickly. There are a lot of advantages to them, and I wouldn't have it any other way. But, if you're used to low frets, it may take a while to adjust your grip for the taller stuff, particularly with chording. If you primarily play melody/lead, then it's a no-brainer. The impact is immediately positive. You get a better grip on the strings and can do vibrato/legato/hammer/taps/pulls much more easily. You don't have to work nearly as hard at anything and some techniques that may have been difficult before become quite simple. But, since the frets are taller, it's easier to sharp notes unevenly when chording until you get a feel for how to fret the thing, so it may frequently sound out-of-tune. But, once you get the feel for it, you're spoiled. Nothing else feels as good.

As for fretting out on bends, a compound radius neck cures the bulk of that. A good setup takes it all the way.

Satin neck finishes turn to gloss where you play them.... Exotics are fine with me, but there is a lot to be said for maple. There's a REASON (or five) every single other wood is compared to maple first, and that is, the stuff works. Cheap, stable, sounds great... and if you go with Warmoth's "pro" double truss rod, I nearly venture to say, "NOTHING matters..." The sucker won't bend, and the tone of the neck is largely from the rod. Which some people don't like, which is why there are other choices. Suffice it to say that "woody/steely" is right up there with male/female, light/dark, good/evil, dog/cat & boxers/briefs among the world's great, dichotomous continuums. You just... guess...

Thinning True-Oil or Formby's way, way down with alcohol or spirits, or thinning poly way, way down with water (1/2 n 1/2) is a good way to get very thin layers that soak into the wood before hardening. Finishing has gotten both way better and way easier in the last few decades, to the point that the "lore" associated with it is usually just WRONG. The speciousness of the nonsense about the mystical, manly "shooting nitro" meme is PROVEN by the fact that you can't even get "real" nitro these days, one too many three-headed babies caused the jackbooted thugs of the government black-ops fascists to force the manufacturers to come up with wood finishing products that work better, look better, cost less, last longer, less filling.... darn. Actually modern chemistry helped too. (We have a great nitro-shooter here, but he's not full of nonsense, he just does real pretty work - I'm not, actually, much of a Krylonhead either.)

There's a lot of opinionizing about whether satin-y or smooth-y finishes "play better", but it's mostly based on sitting in front of the TV running your hand up and down and up and down your neck. If you tapped Jeff Beck or John McLaughlin on the shoulder right in the middle of some ridiculous torching solo and said "excuse me, sir - is your neck smooth enough right now?" hopefully he would just beat your brains out, problem solved. Yes - it was smooth enough.... :guitaristgif:

Well, I found this in the showcase and pulled the trigger. Neck question answered... Next is a body...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 43
http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?Body=1&Shape=3&Path=CBS%20Strat&i=VMS8704#.VIeremf-lQs

Style: CBS Stratocaster®
Construction: Vintage Modern Construction
Orientation: Right Handed
Neck Wood: Flame Maple
Fingerboard Wood: Flame Maple
Nut Width: 1-11/16"
Back Shape: 59 roundback
Fret Size: 6150
Tuner Ream: Gotoh/Grover (13/32" 11/32")
Radius: 10-16" Compound
Scale: 25-1/2"
Fret #: 22
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: GraphTech Black TUSQ XL - Standard Nut
Inlays: Black Face Dots
Side Dots: Black Side Dots
Finish: Vintage Tint Gloss

A gloss finish for vintage-modern construction is desirable mainly because a thicker gloss finish seals better and helps vintage-modern seasonal stability. The bad news with maple boards is you'll have to surgically remove the finish off 22 frets. And, if the fret ends and board edges are doctored you'll have to hide the work with careful touch-up, French polish, etc. If possible a build project should be assembled, played and tweaked over a period of time and finally dismantled to paint components.
Generally what makes a neck provide tone is the overall amount of wood used in its construction. Don't expect tone with a double truss-rod in a standard thin or a Wizard profile and don't expect tone with a single truss-rod in a standard thin or Wizard profile.
Here lately I see more and more players on TV using Fender models having CBS headstocks. 7 out of my last 9 builds had CBS headstocks.
Best of luck with your '72 Deluxe, good choice for a great guitar.

Back