72 P bass, mahogany, birdseye, wenge, ebony, walnut

Doner Designs

My first Warmoth is all done but here are a couple of in-process shots.

•  Mahogany body – 1pc
•  Birdseye top
•  Tung oil and wax finish on the body
•  Wenge neck (no finish)
•  Ebony fingerboard
•  Marbled burly walnut pickguard (high polish lacquer finish)
•  Birdseye knobs and headstock name plate
•  Babicz bridge
•  Hipshot ultralights
•  Nordstrand NP4a
•  Audere 4 band Pro-Z preamp
•  LaBella 1954 flats strung BEAD

Steve Doner
www.donerdesigns.org

Attachments

• IMG_8242.JPG
    IMG_8242.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8374.JPG
    IMG_8374.JPG
    442.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8366-crop.jpg
    IMG_8366-crop.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8361-crop.jpg
    IMG_8361-crop.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8363-crop.jpg
    IMG_8363-crop.jpg
    690.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8376.JPG
    IMG_8376.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8227.JPG
    IMG_8227.JPG
    433.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20141031_115804_resized.jpg
    20141031_115804_resized.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8283.JPG
    IMG_8283.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8268-crop.jpg
    IMG_8268-crop.jpg
    780.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8247.JPG
    IMG_8247.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8246.JPG
    IMG_8246.JPG
    525.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Back Unfinished.JPG
    Back Unfinished.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Here's a close-up of the ebony fingerboard.  Is this a particular type of ebony?  Never seen a grain pattern like this before. 

Attachments

• IMG_8239-crop.jpg
    IMG_8239-crop.jpg
    872.1 KB · Views: 5
Looks like macassar ebony, probably slab-sawn.  Very attractive.  Macassar ebony has those lovely lighter-colored (often grey or chocolate-brown) layers.  When you get it closer to quarter-sawn, you'll get fairly regular striping or ribbon patterns in the grain. 

Bagman67 said:
Looks like macassar ebony, probably slab-sawn.  Very attractive.  Macassar ebony has those lovely lighter-colored (often grey or chocolate-brown) layers.  When you get it closer to quarter-sawn, you'll get fairly regular striping or ribbon patterns in the grain.

Thanks, glad to know that.  I bought it from Warmoth inventory.  When I saw it I immediately put it in my shopping cart (because of the ebony grain pattern) and then put together a custom body order to go with it.  Congrats on your two boty!

Thanks, Steve.  My GOTM/GOTY winner is here.  If you go through to the end of the photos, you'll see the macassar ebony ribbon in a less swirly configuration than your neck displays:

http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=18899.0

Bagman67 said:
Thanks, Steve.  My GOTM/GOTY winner is here.  If you go through to the end of the photos, you'll see the macassar ebony ribbon in a less swirly configuration than your neck displays:

http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=18899.0

Thanks for showing me that both for the ebony and for the close up of your winner.  I was tempted to ask you what was special about it but did not want to offend.  Upon seeing the close up pictures it's obvious - the double binding and all the coordinated details look awesome.  The little photo in your signature does not do it justice.  Very nice!  I viewed a few other macassar photos online and think you are right.

Thank you, Steve.  You have to get up pretty early in the morning to offend me, but thanks for not trying to!  It's easy to look at yet another black'n'white Tele and say, "What's so special?"  I totally get where you're coming from.  I think it boils down to this particular guitar being a very simple thing done very well.  That goes a long way for most folks, and seems to have carried the day in this case.  I appreciate your kind regards for my axe.  Gotta get her out of the case sometime soon, but having just moved, I haven't had a chance lately.  New Year's Resolution time!

Bagman67 said:
Thank you, Steve.  You have to get up pretty early in the morning to offend me, but thanks for not trying to!  It's easy to look at yet another black'n'white Tele and say, "What's so special?"  I totally get where you're coming from.  I think it boils down to this particular guitar being a very simple thing done very well.  That goes a long way for most folks, and seems to have carried the day in this case.  I appreciate your kind regards for my axe.  Gotta get her out of the case sometime soon, but having just moved, I haven't had a chance lately.  New Year's Resolution time!

Yes, upon viewing the full photo set what you say is clear.  Simple, understated, elegant.  From a distance it looks like any black tele.  Up close it could pass for a Custom Shop Fender except that its nicer than a custom shop fender.

Back