7/8 strat

spauldingrules

How does one order one of these mythological creatures (7/8 strat)?  It's not listed as an option that I can see.  How much extra, if any, is it?  Do standard necks fit?

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=222.0
Gregg Stewart said:
Black Korina Neck confirmed.

We designed the Warhead a few years ago. We haven't announced it on the Warmoth website since it's still done by hand and not CNC. I really like it. That peg shape is not on the site, that 7/8 body is not on the site, and that particular neck is not either. The neck is not a conversion neck and there is not a long fingerboard overhang to get the 24 frets. These are Warmoth's old school patterns that not too many people even know about.....but now YOU do....  :laughing7:
Gregg Stewart said:
The peghead shape is +$45 since it's hand work.
Gregg Stewart said:
Yes, but it's important to note that it does not work with a standard 25 1/2" scale body. You can have any flat top body "short-scaled" for $50 where they move the pickups and bridge placement slightly by hand to accomodate such a neck. A 7/8 strat-style body is made specifically for that neck. You can also get a tilt back of any peghead shape too. No extra charge for these necks, but you have to pair them up with a body made for it. The easy access to the higher frets is so cool!  :icon_thumright:
Wasn't very hard to it... perhaps 2 or 3 min...

what other secrets is warmoth keeping? whenever i ask for something that might require a little hand work the answer i get is that's not an option. yet there site says they can make a total custom neck if you supply all the specs and you have the cash.

DiMitriR33 said:
what other secrets is warmoth keeping? whenever i ask for something that might require a little hand work the answer i get is that's not an option. yet there site says they can make a total custom neck if you supply all the specs and you have the cash.
Warmoth used to have slow seasons in which we could dedicate time to unique custom builds. An incredible upswing in new business over the last couple of years has challenged us as a manufacturer to not only keep up, but to improve in many areas. The culture at Warmoth is exciting and enthusiastic, but there are constraints as we point our time and energy in the areas that make us a better company for the majority of people. If you ask for something that doesn't require R&D, you may get it. If you ask for something that does require R&D, we'll most likely decline that project...at least for the time being.

Over the next few years, you will see awesome changes at Warmoth that have been in the planning stages for a long time. We have the best crews in all departments we've ever had and multiple initiatives being worked on simultaneously. I wish I could elaborate but I can't. Suffice it to say that great things are coming.

maybe next time i'll offer up elaboate drawings, i'd do it all myself but have only limited tool at home, moveing around so much prevent me from collecting the equipment i want.
i was really wondering what other oddball designs warmoth has that are not on the site. not an elaborate list just maybe some stuff you have seen and thought was cool. i for one love those gecko basses but i'm not a bassist, are there any weird necks for guitar with the twin stripes down the back, or some cool inlays not shown on the site? and with a rear route body has anyone ever had the pocket cut deaper with a slight angle to it so there is no gap under the board? that's all i asked for last time and did it myself with a hand router and a jig i made for the angle, it came out good but talk about sweating, i was so afraid i'd destroy that beautiful body.
thanks gregg.

One of the reasons I built a 7/8 strat was because it was a different animal. Very glad I built one too; they are very cool.

After talking to people who own several Geckos and putting one together for a friend, I've decided I have to have one of my own. So that is my build to think on.

Double lams for guitar necks is something we don't normally do so keeping the lams centered throughout the first stages of construction is something that can be hairy for us.

Deeper neck pocket specs is fraught with peril so Ken is not interested in offering that. Besides the unexpected fit problems, sending bodies out that are technincally "out of spec" means we get a call from the unsuspecting second or third owner of the body years later claiming we routed the body wrong.

I think that 24 fret 24 3/4" scale neck (as offered with the 7/8 strat) and the 1 1/2" thick SG bodies are the only real "off the radar" things folks don't know about. That and Iron Cross inlay.....oops...did I say that?

ok so is the poket otherwise the same for the 24 fret neck? i ask because i am thinking about building body from scratch and getting one of these 7/8 strat necks.

still in the begining stages of the idea, it'll change a few times i'm sure but i'm thinking along the lines of the undersized strat to start with but maybe alittle arc to the top kinda like my ibanez SA and a very thin body. all construction grade lumber and maybe even plywood or better yet chip board lam top, very thin. clear finnish to see all the ugly wood. i figure it will get some laughs from the blues tone guys. that's the idea, it'll go against convention in as many ways i can think of. then if it sucks i'll just order a warmoth body to go with the neck and hardware.

:laughing7:  That WOULD be funny!  The heads of gold deck screws here and there...  :laughing7:

Gregg said:
Warmoth used to have slow seasons in which we could dedicate time to unique custom builds. An incredible upswing in new business over the last couple of years has challenged us as a manufacturer to not only keep up, but to improve in many areas. The culture at Warmoth is exciting and enthusiastic, but there are constraints as we point our time and energy in the areas that make us a better company for the majority of people. If you ask for something that doesn't require R&D, you may get it. If you ask for something that does require R&D, we'll most likely decline that project...at least for the time being.

Over the next few years, you will see awesome changes at Warmoth that have been in the planning stages for a long time. We have the best crews in all departments we've ever had and multiple initiatives being worked on simultaneously. I wish I could elaborate but I can't. Suffice it to say that great things are coming.

Sounds very exciting!!!
Gregg, just out of curiosity, with New business, do you mean more of us (as in individual buyers) or large projects/ongoing orders as a ghost builder for the likes of Valley Arts, Suhr, Sadowsky etc..  just curious to know which other Boutique guitars are actually (partly) warmoths...:)

Orpheo said:
@gregg:

if I order the iron cross, will I get it? or will it be refused?

After checking in to it, we can do a neck with it only in White Pearloid in case you wanted Solid Black or White. The cost is $135.

Sounds very exciting!!!
Gregg, just out of curiosity, with New business, do you mean more of us (as in individual buyers) or large projects/ongoing orders as a ghost builder for the likes of Valley Arts, Suhr, Sadowsky etc..  just curious to know which other Boutique guitars are actually (partly) warmoths...

I was speaking in terms of individual buyers, but yes we do have a steady stream of Boutique Company builders too.

Gregg said:
Orpheo said:
@gregg:

if I order the iron cross, will I get it? or will it be refused?

After checking in to it, we can do a neck with it only in White Pearloid in case you wanted Solid Black or White. The cost is $135.

Sounds very exciting!!!
Gregg, just out of curiosity, with New business, do you mean more of us (as in individual buyers) or large projects/ongoing orders as a ghost builder for the likes of Valley Arts, Suhr, Sadowsky etc..  just curious to know which other Boutique guitars are actually (partly) warmoths...

I was speaking in terms of individual buyers, but yes we do have a steady stream of Boutique Company builders too.

Hmm thats a nice thing for a future build, thank you! strangeley enough, I only like it on a black les paul....

Back