7/8 24 fret neck vs mustang 24" neck

crazysun0123

How does the distance between the first couple of frets compare between a 24" mustang neck and a 7/8 24 fret neck?

The 24" mustang is perfect for my fingers but they only come with 22 frets, while a 24 3/4" with 22 frets SG neck feels right out of the comfort zone in the first couple of frets. So I'm wondering if a 7/8 neck will give me that comfort and those 2 extra frets

the feel of an instrument in the hand for comfort is so much more than just the scale length. Your two examples are very different guitars with regard to how they sit on a strap and the relative location of the bridge and nut and all kinds of other things.

to better compare, how does a mustang compare to a les paul when you play it? Are you primarily standing or sitting to play?

the feel of an instrument in the hand for comfort is so much more than just the scale length. Your two examples are very different guitars with regard to how they sit on a strap and the relative location of the bridge and nut and all kinds of other things.

to better compare, how does a mustang compare to a les paul when you play it? Are you primarily standing or sitting to play?
I primarily play standing. I'm just mostly looking for something that will make 5 fret stretching on the first couple of frets more comfortable. I'm really into Ted Greene and Ben Monder but some of the chords they play are just ungodly even after practicing them for months. My main instrument is an SG with 22 frets 24 3/4" neck but after going to a store and trying out the 24" mustang neck it felt so comfortable. The only thing is I'd like the neck to have 24 frets.

Right but the mustang hangs on your body with the nut closer to you than an SG. The SG neck sticks out so far. So how does a Les Paul feel when you play it? What about a tele?

These kinds of observations will help find a guitar that is a better fit for you.

Ah ok I see, I got to check that out when I go back to the store today. Yeah the SG neck sticks a bit too far for me, I haven't tried the others yet standing. Thanks!

Brian May guitars are a model I can think of that is 24" scale and has 24 frets.

The distance between frets on a 7/8 or an SG is the same, as they have the same scale length.

The distance between frets on a 7/8 or an SG is the same, as they have the same scale length.
While this is correct, I think helping understand why his SG is a poor choice because of its ergonomics and that the scale length is likely not causing his issues.

While this is correct, I think helping understand why his SG is a poor choice because of its ergonomics and that the scale length is likely not causing his issues.

Certainly, that should not be ruled out but then again neither should the scale length. Both things are worth exploring.

After doing a lot of playing a tele feels too substantial in my hands, and the les paul feels too hefty to be carrying around. I tried a squier mustang and that felt like it was just right. Playing chords and single lines felt good. I didn't have to use too much force. With the les paul I still had to use a lot of force to do double bars and with the tele everything felt too "big" even though in the middle of the range chords where easier than my SG. So I think I'm just gonna get a 24" neck with a 7/8s tele body and call it a day.

Now the mustang did feel like it has a little heftier than my sg even though it was a lot easier to play chordal stuff, I don't know if it was because it had narrow frets or because the action was high, or maybe the strings were thicker than the 10s I use. Any advice on the frets? the tele felt like for things that did not require stretching or too much force, playing was nice, but for anything that I had to spread my hands for it was quite a bit harder on it than the mustang.

Perhaps get 6150 stainless steel, for frets. Its a good size that works for most players.

With what you have described about things where you have to spread your hands across frets being easier on the Mustang, that will be due to the scale length. The feel of other things can be due to set up, nut width, neck profile etc.

Thanks a lot guys.

I think so far this is what I've decided:
Construction Modern
Shaft Wood Padouk
Fretboard Wood Indian Rosewood
Nut Width 1.650" (42mm) - Vintage Medium (which is slightly smaller than my SG's 43mm)
Neck Back Profile Wizard (the same as my SG)
Fretboard Radius Straight 9.5"
Number of Frets 22
Fret Size & Material SS6150 - Wide & Tall (Stainless Steell)
Tuner Hole Size Schaller/Modern Fender/Sperzel (25/64") (planning on getting some hipshots locking tuners)
String Nut Standard Nut - GraphTech White TUSQ XL

What do you guys think? Anything I'm missing that I should be thinking about? I kinda wanna go 41mm nut width.

Short scale necks with regular strings have less string tension and are more likely to have fret buzz than longer scale or when using heavy strings. For that reason I’d go for a 12” fretboard radius, but it needs to be a personal choice depending what feels right under your fingers, and possibly your playing style as well.

My bad, your right... I would love to have a padouk neck.
I'm still trying to decide between padouk and canary.

Short scale necks with regular strings have less string tension and are more likely to have fret buzz than longer scale or when using heavy strings. For that reason I’d go for a 12” fretboard radius, but it needs to be a personal choice depending what feels right under your fingers, and possibly your playing style as well.
Yea, I was really tempted to go for a higher radius, my SG has 12" radius, but after playing a couple of teles and mustangs I really like the lower radius because it makes all the bar chord stuff I've been working on so much easier. What I have to force down on my SG, on the tele and mustang I just had to lightly press.

This is super off topic for necks but does anyone know how to fit a mounting ring to a strat pickup? I want to mount a SSL-1 from seymour to a ring from guitarpartsfactory and the holes in the ring are slightly too close and only one screw will fit at a time.

This is super off topic for necks but does anyone know how to fit a mounting ring to a strat pickup? I want to mount a SSL-1 from seymour to a ring from guitarpartsfactory and the holes in the ring are slightly too close and only one screw will fit at a time.

If the holes are different to the Seymour Duncan, the holes are off on the mounting ring. It might be possible to widen them slightly.

On your choices, the only thing I might suggest is to go for something like maple then if you want to try things such as 41mm width etc you are not so much out of pocket if you get a second neck later.

Construction modern? That is 25.5" scale

A little more information. Have a look at notes under Modern Construction - Learn More drop down.

Notes​

You can choose Modern construction on all Warmoth straight-headstock neck styles. Most Warmoth specialty necks are built using Modern construction only, including the 7/8 Warhead neck, 12-String, Mustang/Jaguar, 7-String*, Bass6*, Gibson® Scale Conversion, and Baritone Scale Conversion* necks.
https://warmoth.com/guitar-neck-constructions

Last edited:
If the holes are different to the Seymour Duncan, the holes are off on the mounting ring. It might be possible to widen them slightly.

On your choices, the only thing I might suggest is to go for something like maple then if you want to try things such as 41mm width etc you are not so much out of pocket if you get a second neck later.
Yea I was thinking of maple because its the cheapest but with the required finish it would make it slightly more expensive than padouk or canary which don't need a finish(at least from what I can gather)

Roasted maple doesn't need a finish. Also, normal maple you can finish easily with Tru-Oil, which works very well but does not satisfy the warranty.

Back