6100 vs. 6115 vs. 6150(Alien vs. Predator vs. Godzilla). Who will win?

slowhandy

Just getting a new spear weapon to hunt aliens with and wondering what fret wire to use...Especially I'd like to know what fret wire is better for i) vibrato and bending, ii) chords,  iii) slides, and iv) hammers and pulls.  I plan on using it mostly for blues and blues/rock. :guitarplayer2:       

Thnx 

6100 frets get pretty close to a scalloped feel in my opinion. Therefore, so long as you have a lite touch, bends, vib, and everything else is easier because your fingertips touch little to no wood. If you have a hard/heavy touch chords and single notes as well can have a tendency to bend sharp under the heavy pressure of your fingering hand. So that is something to think about when making your choice. 6100s are great and they are on my two main guitars but I do have some guitars with 6150 and 6105 and I like those smaller frets better for any kind of playing where I really want to "dig" in and play hard.

I also have guitars with both tall and short frets. I actually have a neck w/6100 that is also half-scalloped for fast single note runs and shred/metal and jazz. For blues and bendy stuff it's a downtuned small fret neck for the slinky feel. But either could be used for any type of playing, it's really in your touch. Yngwie uses scalloped necks for the ease of bending and vibrato. I suggest you go to a guitar shop and try the different kinds. They always have some Gibsonish or PRS like with small frets and something Fendery-Ibby like with huge stuff. You should A-B them to see what you really like.

Fretwire size matters for shit for " i) vibrato and bending, ii) chords,  iii) slides, and iv) hammers and pulls"; it's all in the fingers...

jackthehack said:
Fretwire size matters for shite for " i) vibrato and bending, ii) chords,  iii) slides, and iv) hammers and pulls"; it's all in the fingers...

That's a grumpy old man opinion that I just happen to agree 100% with.  Now, where did I put my cane??!?

I have guitars with smaller frets, but "home" to me is and always has been "6100's",  now I want stainless.

I would be interested in trying the 6115's on a guitar, as I've only ever felt them on Showcase necks.

Won't be long before I can tell you personally about 6100's (w/full scallop!  :tard:  :toothy10:)

But I can tell you now...while I can still play my Fender Tele with wimpy frets...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTqxFIpc1j4

:33

I've got 2 warmoth necks with 6100's - I absolutely love them, they feel more like home than any other neck I've ever played on.

DustyCat said:
Won't be long before I can tell you personally about 6100's (w/full scallop!  :tard:  :toothy10:)

But I can tell you now...while I can still play my Fender Tele with wimpy frets...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTqxFIpc1j4

:33

I'm thinking about going the same route on my super-strat build...

I'm a huge fan of the 6100s. They give me a level of control I've never had with any other wire. You do have to watch your chording, though. No manhandling the neck. It's easy to sharp one or two strings and throw the whole thing off. But, that's true of all the "jumbo" sizes.

JCizzle said:
You should be playing with minimal pressure and movement anyway. ;)

Not me.  When I approach a guitar, I intend to strangle it within an inch of its life until the foundations of creation tremble at my machismo.

-Mark

:icon_scratch:  Wasn't all this discussed in your other very similar thread not long ago  :dontknow:
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=19580.0

AprioriMark said:
JCizzle said:
You should be playing with minimal pressure and movement anyway. ;)

Not me.  When I approach a guitar, I intend to strangle it within an inch of its life until the foundations of creation tremble at my machismo.

-Mark
:laughing8: :laughing7:

Updown said:
:icon_scratch:  Wasn't all this discussed in your other very similar thread not long ago  :dontknow:
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=19580.0

Most things were....

While I have 3 guitars with 6100 that work just fine for me, I have 3 others with 6150, and I think the 6150 is the ideal size for electric guitar. It has that "just right" feel between too big and too small.

Street Avenger said:
While I have 3 guitars with 6100 that work just fine for me, I have 3 others with 6150, and I think the 6150 is the ideal size for electric guitar. It has that "just right" feel between too big and too small.

I think I would 2nd this. That's the size on my "favorite" broken in rosewood neck.

Back