51P

Tweed

I wanted a bigass vintage bass, and I got it! I couldn't quit staring at the genuine ones in my Fender book.

Showcase ash bod & maple/rw neck. Quarter Pound. Cream pickguard to not really mimic the orig anodized ones. Wilkinson tuners from GFS are a little tight in their turning. The plain Gotoh bridge from Warmoth seems like a good reliable chunk. Gotta tweak the orig design and get contrasting knobs on the control plate.

I love it. Everything is so big and substantial. I'd love to get a stand that would let me play it in almost-upright stance.

I highly recommend these Minwax wipe on stains: I made a JM that looks like denim, an orange Tele that looks like solidified fire, a Strat that may or may not have been formed on a coral reef, and now this white that is shockingly close to Fender's blonde.

Attachments

• IMG_1016.JPG
    IMG_1016.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 777
  • IMG_1017.JPG
    IMG_1017.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 745
  • IMG_1018.JPG
    IMG_1018.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 769
Tremendous specimen!  Nice work.  I'm no fan of the big chrome bits from a playing standpoint, but then again I'm a guitarist so my opinion is probably not to be accorded a great deal of deference.  My preferences aside, the bass is a beauty.  You should be proud.

I wanted to try them but honestly didn't know if I would keep them. But I've found the pickup cover is a fine thumb rest and in a good position for me. Net gain!

Bagman67 said:
I'm no fan of the big chrome bits from a playing standpoint, but then again I'm a guitarist so my opinion is probably not to be accorded a great deal of deference.
Exactly what my first thought was.
Tweed said:
...I've found the pickup cover is a fine thumb rest and in a good position for me. Net gain!
As a guitarist who never really grasped the concept of "thumb rest", all I can say is that if it works for you, looks like a winner to me. Beautiful bass Brother, best of luck with it.
:icon_thumright:

Back