3way switch problems

The Norwegian Guy

Hi all!

I have problems figuring out how to wire the 3-way switch on my new project.
If anyone is familiar with the 3-way switch that warmoth sell - please help me out! Because the diagrams on seymourduncan.com did not help at all, because I think this is another kind of switch.

mikrofonfaensd2.jpg

I found out that when the switch was in first position, it "activated" terminal 2 and 3
In the second position it activated 4 and 5
In third position, it activated 6 and 7

I want a Neck - Middle - Bridge setup fir my 3-way switch.
like this:
1 position - neck
2 position - middle
3 position - bridge

Which one of the examples on the picture is right?

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=3s_1v_1t_5w

This is a diagram for a 5-way switch...the 3-way is wired exactly the same.
(The switch you have is a 3-way Fender style?)

I would think about it the opposite way.  I would hook up the output to pin 1, the first pickup to pin 3, the middle pickup to pin 5, and the last to pin 7.  This way, pin1 and pin 3 will be connected in the first position (i.e. you select the first pickup), pin 1 and pin 5 will be connected in the middle position (select middle pickup) and pin 1 and pin 7 will be connected in the last position (... etc).

Here, you would not use the even numbered pins at all.

The Norwegian Guy said:
Hi all!

I have problems figuring out how to wire the 3-way switch on my new project.
If anyone is familiar with the 3-way switch that warmoth sell - please help me out! Because the diagrams on seymourduncan.com did not help at all, because I think this is another kind of switch.

mikrofonfaensd2.jpg

I found out that when the switch was in first position, it "activated" terminal 2 and 3
In the second position it activated 4 and 5
In third position, it activated 6 and 7

I want a Neck - Middle - Bridge setup fir my 3-way switch.
like this:
1 position - neck
2 position - middle
3 position - bridge

Which one of the examples on the picture is right?

Alright, sounds like 1 and 8 are common... and the rest of the switch is typical.

Neither of your pics are right.

EDIT:  Essentially speaking, if you're not using any tone pots, you just need to wire up one side
of the switch for the pickups, like mayfly suggests.  If you use tone pots, then they get wired to the other side
of the switch - to the appropriate pickup (thru the switch - i.e. 2+3, 4+5, etc), of course.

Think I got it right this time!
It was actually pretty simple! I think it's that I'm so extremely tired :laughing3:

:laughing11:

Back