3rd Delivery In A Week!

Looking great!  I really like the neck with that body, great choices.  I'm not usually a huge fan of white dots, but they look cool on that dark fretboard.

mataguri, one last thing :

Don't use lemon oil, it's not that good.
Use linseed oil instead (raw or not, doesn't matter), it's a much better product to keep the beauty and quality of your woods.
Rub it in, don't linger, and rub it out. And for your info, Tru-oil is linseed oil based.

Don't use anything on wenge, it's needless. Keep it raw !

See that guy (maybe you know already) : http://www.youtube.com/user/davey4557
He's posted a lot of videos and I've learned a lot from him. I've performed my first fret leveling a few days ago on an old Aria Pro II bass and it turned out great.

Cheers man !

I would like some more detail on dealing with Linseed Oil.

I'm currently using some boiled Linseed Oil on a Maple neck, and it is some sticky, nasty stuff. I've been putting it on thin, rubbing it in, wiping it off and giving it a minimum of 36 hours between coats. I'm on the 4th coat, and I'm really very sorry I went down this road as I don't think I can recover from it. I'm thinking that now that it's oiled, I'm stuck with it. There's really no cleaning it off, is there? Then, the frets! My God, it's like somebody coated them with glue.

I told one of my brothers earlier tonight that if I ever make any noises about using an oil finish again, he should use one of my loose necks to give me some anaesthesia-free dental work. Barring that, use a whole guitar and include my skull in the punishment.

Oil finishes were great back a million years ago when you didn't have a choice, but now? Why? They didn't invent lacquer and polyurethane because oil was satisfactory.

bendeg said:
mataguri, one last thing :
:dontknow:  Think it's a bit late for any tips in this thread.

This build was finished nearly 2 years ago.  :laughing7:
Plus the owner of this hasn't been here since Nov 11th 2011.

Why drag up an old post  :doh: ....  especially when they haven't been around for ages. 

bendeg said:
Just thought it may help others ;-)
No worries .... I just thought it was strange to bring up such on old post.

With your info .... why not start a new thread in Tips & Tricks.  :icon_thumright:

Cagey said:
I would like some more detail on dealing with Linseed Oil.

I'm currently using some boiled Linseed Oil on a Maple neck, and it is some sticky, nasty stuff. I've been putting it on thin, rubbing it in, wiping it off and giving it a minimum of 36 hours between coats. I'm on the 4th coat, and I'm really very sorry I went down this road as I don't think I can recover from it. I'm thinking that now that it's oiled, I'm stuck with it. There's really no cleaning it off, is there? Then, the frets! My God, it's like somebody coated them with glue.

I told one of my brothers earlier tonight that if I ever make any noises about using an oil finish again, he should use one of my loose necks to give me some anaesthesia-free dental work. Barring that, use a whole guitar and include my skull in the punishment.

Oil finishes were great back a million years ago when you didn't have a choice, but now? Why? They didn't invent lacquer and polyurethane because oil was satisfactory.

Indeed, recovering from it isn't easy, sandpaper and elbow oil...

But I did it after having sanded (180, then 400) an old coated neck that was terrible (black marks from sweat, hits, well you can imagine a 1986 neck almost never cleaned...)  and it's not that oily, just a wee bit and it slides well.
I've put 3 or 4 coats (no more, it's needless) with very small amounts of raw linseed oil and paper towels, the main purpose was to protect it of course.

Now, I haven't play it a lot, so I can't really tell, but looks fine for me. It's better than a messy coated neck anyway...

Back