3 pickups special wiring

ramonet

A few days ago I've started a post about a 3 pickups Tele wiring and, thinking about it, it was very complicated so I try to go a Little simple. The goal is a 3 pickups guitar with a 5 way switch with the following selections:
1- bridge
2- bridge + middle
3- bridge + neck
4- middle + neck
5- neck

Anyone has a wiring diagram for this?. Thanks in advance and Happy New Year to you all

Most of the pickup makers have a lot of wiring diagrams on their websites.  You can also check guitarelectronics.com.

For 3 pickup basses and guitars my personal preference is to use a mini toggle for each pickup.

Your pickup selection seems a bit odd

I have a better idea for you, this is how I do all of mine now

1-bridge
2-bridge middle
3-middle
4-middle neck
5-neck

This is your typical 5 way configuration.

Then I use a push push pot, a single toggle will work to, when my push push is "out" the neck pup is on regardless off the 5-way
This gives you

1-bridge neck
2-bridge middle neck
3-middle neck
4-middle neck (no change)
5-neck (no change)

the number 1 bridge neck sounds good, and number 2 turns on all pups

I'm with you on the standard five-way plus full-time-on switch for either the bridge or neck.  This is the standard wiring for the Carvin strats, with a master volume and a master tone, and the mini-toggle for the bridge pup in the second tone knob position.  Very sensible, for me.

This page has a wiring diagram that does what you describes using a 5 way 2 pole switch. http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/guitar-wiring-explored-introducing-the-super-switch-part-1/

I always found neck+bridge to be much more useful than the middle pickup by itself so I get what you're going for. Another option is to use a standard Tele 3 way for neck and bridge then have the middle pickup on a separate switch so it can be added to any position.

Because of the switching pattern common to 5 way Strat switches, the configuration that you requested cannot be done on a standard Strat switch. You will need a specialized five-throw switch with a minimum of two poles, such as the one in the link that bob7point7 posted. StewMac makes a 4P5T switch that works. The actual wiring is very straightforward. For each position, wire one pickup to one throw and the other pickup to the other throw, and join the commons as an output.

Thanks bob7point7, that's what I need.
I have the two Telecaster pickups, coming from an old Japanese T (the first ones) but the question is, which Strat middle pickup will fit the best to achieve this Tele / Strat vibe?. I thought that a Texas Special or a N3 will fit, but what about a Fat 50, 57/62 or Super 55? I think that a middle pickup in RWRP will be the best for the 2 and 4 positions.

Thank you all for your help

Alfang said:
Your pickup selection seems a bit odd

I have a better idea for you, this is how I do all of mine now

1-bridge
2-bridge middle
3-middle
4-middle neck
5-neck

This is your typical 5 way configuration.

Then I use a push push pot, a single toggle will work to, when my push push is "out" the neck pup is on regardless off the 5-way
This gives you

1-bridge neck
2-bridge middle neck
3-middle neck
4-middle neck (no change)
5-neck (no change)

the number 1 bridge neck sounds good, and number 2 turns on all pups

Thank you for posting this.  I am about to use this on a rewire of one of my guitars with an HSS layout.  If I like it, I have an HSH that will get it, next.  :icon_thumright:

I don't know if anyone will find this helpful, but I saw a layout that had the standard five positions for the switch, but instead of having a volume and two tone controls, it had one volume, one tone, and a blend.  The blend worked in the two end positions of the switch.  When the bridge pickup was selected with the switch, you could blend in the neck pickup, and vice versa.  That's something you might not want to do if you're using single coil pickups...

...but eventually I want to get a set of hum canceling strat pickups and give it a shot.

There's no reason really why it would be bad with single coils. You wouldn't get twice as much hum, or anything like that.

ramonet said:
Thanks bob7point7, that's what I need.
I have the two Telecaster pickups, coming from an old Japanese T (the first ones) but the question is, which Strat middle pickup will fit the best to achieve this Tele / Strat vibe?. I thought that a Texas Special or a N3 will fit, but what about a Fat 50, 57/62 or Super 55? I think that a middle pickup in RWRP will be the best for the 2 and 4 positions.

Thank you all for your help

Actually to get hum cancelling in positions 2 and 4 on the diagram bob7point7 linked, you'd need a RWRP neck or bridge pickup rather than a RWRP middle pickup.

Back