3 humbucker/ 5 way blade switching

SlingeroGuitaro

I recently played a friends strat that was loaded with 3 single coil sized humbuckers. this thing had some of the most gnarly tones and so I asked him if any modifications had been done. he said he bought the guitar from some stoner and the switching was a little peculiar. it was wired as follows:

Position 1. full bridge
Position 2. inside coil bridge & full middle
Position 3. full middle
Position 4. full middle & outside coil neck
Position 5. full neck

he said he didnt know of anything special other than that

i would like to try this but havent the slightest idea how this would be wired. i cant seem to find any schematics either. any help?

Try this:  http://www.guitartechcraig.com/techwire/tech16.jpg

You can go with or without the "blend" control.  The important part is how the pup leads are connected to the 5 way switch.

SlingeroGuitaro said:
I recently played a friends strat that was loaded with 3 single coil sized humbuckers. this thing had some of the most gnarly tones and so I asked him if any modifications had been done. he said he bought the guitar from some stoner and the switching was a little peculiar. it was wired as follows:

Position 1. full bridge
Position 2. inside coil bridge & full middle
Position 3. full middle
Position 4. full middle & outside coil neck
Position 5. full neck

he said he didnt know of anything special other than that

i would like to try this but havent the slightest idea how this would be wired. i cant seem to find any schematics either. any help?

Having the full middle on in positions 2 & 4 seem a little strange.  Probably won't "quack" for you.

Here are a few no-hum options:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=3lil_hum_1v_2t_super5way

Adds a bridge-on Push-pull for the Gibson full bridge + full Neck combo and a few more:
http://www.leisd.ws/education/components/scrapbook/default.php?sectiondetailid=14883&sc_id=1199905971

that is a pretty standard way to go. it can be done with a stock strat switch, you wire a master tone, or wire the tones up to the pickup you want to control directly,
each pickup is wired to the switch as normaly done with single coils.
then with the other pole on the switch you wire the series link (the two wires you solder together for normal series wireing) to the lug that goes with that pickups position on the switch for the neck and bridge pickups. the lug in the middle of those will be used as the common and wired to ground, leave the normal common on the second pole blank.

if you want the typical strat sound in the 2/4 positions you can use a low inductance rails pup like a vintage rails, cool rails, duckbucker or go for a "noiseless single coil"

awesome thanks for the help folks.

the pups in his strat are:

neck: dimarzio air norton S
middle: dimarzio chopper
bridge: dimarzio tone zone S

Since the chopper is a 4 conductor pup, you could tap the coils on it as well via the 5 way switch so that in position 2 you'd get one coil of the bridge and one of the chopper and positon 4 you'd get one coil of the chopper and one coil of the neck.

BTW, are you sure the bridge pup isn't a Tone Zone S?  There is no "Air Norton Tone Zone."

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=lilhum_sing_lilhum_1v_2t_s

this is a diagram for that but the dimarzio color code is different. also you might want to go with 500k pots.

DocNrock said:
Since the chopper is a 4 conductor pup, you could tap the coils on it as well via the 5 way switch so that in position 2 you'd get one coil of the bridge and one of the chopper and positon 4 you'd get one coil of the chopper and one coil of the neck.

BTW, are you sure the bridge pup isn't a Tone Zone S?  There is no "Air Norton Tone Zone."

that would need an extra mini switch or a super 5way switch. the ground goes to the lug for the middle position on the extra pole, it acts like the common in an on/off/on switch
EDIT: or in this case an off/on/off/on/off switch.

DiMitriR33 said:
DocNrock said:

that would need an extra mini switch or a super 5way switch. the ground goes to the lug for the middle position on the extra pole, it acts like the common in an on/off/on switch
EDIT: or in this case an off/on/off/on/off switch.

D'oh..you are absolutely correct. 

DiMitriR33 said:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=lilhum_sing_lilhum_1v_2t_s

this is a diagram for that but the dimarzio color code is different. also you might want to go with 500k pots.

this is exactly what im looking for, however it looks like there are 5 wires coming out of the humbuckers?

Back