2Tek not an option in showcase?

ForgotYa

Hey there, new here and looking to do a PartsJazzmaster of sorts...

I'm looking in the Showcase and in the pulldown menu the 2Tek isn't listed as an option. Warmoth offers 2Tek routing, even on bodies already painted that you may already own. This tells me it should be available on any body on the site, Showcase or not, finished or not...

I don't know what to do because there's something I want, but can't pull the trigger because I don't know if I'll be stuck with something that I won't have the 2Tek option with and Warmoth doesn't open until Mon. so I can't call or email. Should I buy it and then call on Mon.? Should what I'm asking be possible?

I'm further frustrated because I called to buy something when they had the Warpaint sale recently and was told I couldn't get that option because the body was already painted....well, the body I'm looking at now isn't painted and I still can't get it. Also, as said before, if they do 2Tek routing service on something already owned it should be possible and available. This is not good as I could have saved a ton of money.

I'd like to ask about a couple more options...is what's on the site all that's possible? For instance, I'd like a Jaguar body, but the bridge moved to the Jazzmaster spot. The only difference is really the holes in the body for the control plates right? Should be easily done or will I just have to order a Jazzy body and put more holes in it?

Do they offer any other Pickguard options....for instance, a third hole for another volume control? The site only allows two holes.

If I end up having to order custom, is there anything I can do to get a light weight body? In googling it I saw they were offering it at one point, but I went through the whole options list and didn't see anything. Also, in the Showcase, lighter bodies seem to be more expensive? I see very similar bodies with randomly different prices.

Thanks so much in advance!

I do see now, where it says painted bodies cannot be done, but it's not on the main page where it says they can do it.

Still, I'm hoping I can get this done on an unpainted showcase body? Please say yes.  :headbang:

I'm not seeing anything in the Showcase that could take a 2Tek bridge. That may be why the choice doesn't show up in the drop-down menu. They're all already top-routed for the Jazzmaster-style vibrato or rear-routed for vibratos that actually work. In either case, there's not a way to route for a 2Tek.

Showcase bodies of any type are typically prepped for the most commonly requested options/finishes, short some customizations that are easy to do after the fact. I suspect there isn't much call for hardtail Jazzmasters, so the chances of seeing one in the Showcase are pretty small. You're gonna have to custom order to get what you want.

The best thing to do to see what options may be possible for Jaguars and Jazzmasers is to use the build tool.

To really know what is possible if it's not listed means an e mail or a call. It's not that long till Monday and it's worth finding out for sure.

In terms of 2 Tek, to my knowledge if a body that's finished has been drilled for a  Strat hardtail bridge it can be redone for a 2Tek. But this is based just on options I have seen available when browsing. The body shape isn't the defining factor but rather what is possible or not based on what's already been drilled or routed.

Cagey said:
I'm not seeing anything in the Showcase that could take a 2Tek bridge. That may be why the choice doesn't show up in the drop-down menu. They're all already top-routed for the Jazzmaster-style vibrato or rear-routed for vibratos that actually work. In either case, there's not a way to route for a 2Tek.

Showcase bodies of any type are typically prepped for the most commonly requested options/finishes, short some customizations that are easy to do after the fact. I suspect there isn't much call for hardtail Jazzmasters, so the chances of seeing one in the Showcase are pretty small. You're gonna have to custom order to get what you want.

If they're offering to do the 2Tek route on bodies that people already own, how can they not offer it on a body they're selling? Maybe I'll just order it and call on Mon. and cancel if they can't accommodate.

There are a whole slew of bodies on there right now with no bridge drilled.

Any thoughts on requesting a certain weight when you do a custom order? They're charging more in the showcase for lower weights as it is. In fact, I checked the price of a custom build and it's cheaper then the Showcase!!!  Supply and demand I guess, but the Showcase is apparently not a discount in all cases.

Pickguard or Trem placement that I mentioned? I'm just not sure if Warmoth accommodates any special requests. It's been 15 years since I ordered from them.

stratamania said:
The best thing to do to see what options may be possible for Jaguars and Jazzmasers is to use the build tool.

Of course, I checked that. ;)

To really know what is possible if it's not listed means an e mail or a call. It's not that long till Monday and it's worth finding out for sure.

Normally I wouldn't be so anxious, but I'm concerned this one will be gone by then.

In terms of 2 Tek, to my knowledge if a body that's finished has been drilled for a  Strat hardtail bridge it can be redone for a 2Tek. But this is based just on options I have seen available when browsing. The body shape isn't the defining factor but rather what is possible or not based on what's already been drilled or routed.

Not sure where this is coming from, I didn't make any mention of body shape determining whether it could be done. I'm talking about bodies that have no bridge routed/drilled for yet.

Do you know anything about requesting lighter weights?

How long do I have to fill out Captcha's and questions? Is this just for new members? I just lost an entire post...

Thanks for the help guys.

The captcha should go away after you have made a certain amount of posts.

I mentioned body shape as you will mainly find Strat hardtails in the showcase usually on Strats and sometimes teles, then 2 Tek seems to be an option.  If a tele is drilled for a tele bridge 2 Tek then does not show as an option.  So it's not the shape of the bodies you are looking at but probably whether or not an over rout is a possibility or not.

Most bodies in the showcase are partially routed or drilled either for a bridge or various options.  Dependent on that will be whether a 2 Tek is possible.

ForgotYa said:
If they're offering to do the 2Tek route on bodies that people already own, how can they not offer it on a body they're selling? Maybe I'll just order it and call on Mon. and cancel if they can't accommodate.

I think you have to be an "authorized" installer to even buy a 2Tek bridge, and Warmoth is one. So, they offer it as a service. But, that service can only be provided for bodies that could accept that bridge. I'm sure you can't send them a body that's already been routed for a spring chamber and so forth.

ForgotYa said:
There are a whole slew of bodies on there right now with no bridge drilled.

There are a slew of them that appear that way, but open the entry and look at the rear view. You'll find that the bodies that appear to have not been drilled/routed for a Jazzmaster vibrato are routed in the rear for Fender/Wilkinson/Floyd vibratos. They aren't completely routed for any of those because the top opening will change and the mounting post locations change. Just looking at the body on the list it looks like nothing has been done and it's ready for a hardtail, as there's no evidence of it on the top. But, that's not the case.

ForgotYa said:
Any thoughts on requesting a certain weight when you do a custom order? They're charging more in the showcase for lower weights as it is. In fact, I checked the price of a custom build and it's cheaper then the Showcase!!!  Supply and demand I guess, but the Showcase is apparently not a discount in all cases.

You can't request weights. For one thing, you'd be asking them to dig through piles of wood to find a light piece, which is time-consuming. Whaddaya charge for cherry picking? Gotta pay someone to do it, then the amount of time it would take is unpredictable. Then, the options you choose for pickups, bridges, etc. will change the weight. The only way to know a weight when you buy is to buy into a Showcase part that's already mostly done.

ForgotYa said:
Pickguard or Trem placement that I mentioned? I'm just not sure if Warmoth accommodates any special requests. It's been 15 years since I ordered from them.

When it comes to special requests, you really need to talk to someone there who can verify that they're willing to do it and what it'll cost.

stratamania said:
The captcha should go away after you have made a certain amount of posts.

I mentioned body shape as you will mainly find Strat hardtails in the showcase usually on Strats and sometimes teles, then 2 Tek seems to be an option.  If a tele is drilled for a tele bridge 2 Tek then does not show as an option.  So it's not the shape of the bodies you are looking at but probably whether or not an over rout is a possibility or not.

Most bodies in the showcase are partially routed or drilled either for a bridge or various options.  Dependent on that will be whether a 2 Tek is possible.

:(

Once again...I'm talking about bodies that have no bridge drilled yet, no need for an over route whatsoever. It is available on the exact same body I'm looking at if you do it custom ordered. Look at some of the drop down menus, other bridges are left off as well. They're artificially limiting the options apparently. Or maybe it's just an oversight and all will be well when I call.

stratamania said:

I was posting, just saw your edit. This is getting frustrating...I spent a lot of time on my initial post to try and follow-ups to explain clearly. I'm talking about bodies with no bridge drilled/routed yet. These bodies can most certainly have a 2Tek installed. The reason the option isn't there isn't a physical one.

There are a slew of them that appear that way, but open the entry and look at the rear view. You'll find that the bodies that appear to have not been drilled/routed for a Jazzmaster vibrato are routed in the rear for Fender/Wilkinson/Floyd vibratos. They aren't completely routed for any of those because the top opening will change and the mounting post locations change. Just looking at the body on the list it looks like nothing has been done and it's ready for a hardtail, as there's no evidence of it on the top. But, that's not the case.

Ahh....so that's it! I overlooked that and didn't notice it because of all the options in the pull down menu, not noticing they were all trems! I'm sorry for the mixup. I need my coffee!

You can't request weights. For one thing, you'd be asking them to dig through piles of wood to find a light piece, which is time-consuming. Whaddaya charge for cherry picking? Gotta pay someone to do it, then the amount of time it would take is unpredictable. Then, the options you choose for pickups, bridges, etc. will change the weight. The only way to know a weight when you buy is to buy into a Showcase part that's already mostly done.

Well, at least I know now. They used to have an upcharge, so now I know they don't any longer. Other places offer this service for free. I'm just saying since you gave your side.

I'm not sure what options have to do with anything. Most folks know the baseline for the blank shape, that's all that's needed.

quote][/quote]When it comes to special requests, you really need to talk to someone there who can verify that they're willing to do it and what it'll cost.
[/quote]

Ok, that's all I wanted to know was that it's a possibility. I don't expect anyone to know if the specific things I want can be accommodated.

stratamania said:
I trust that we have now answered your questions as well as we can.

Yes, sorry about any misunderstandings. I truly hadn't had any sleep, if you look at my posting time...I was getting frustrated and not in the best frame of  mind. I apologize for any shortness I may have exhibited. I'm trying to get this project moving amongst many other things and trying to maintain a reasonable budget as well. Nobody else really does the 2Tek and while it would be a budget stretch to go with the custom body, I'd be willing to do it most likely, but then weight becomes the issue.

The weight varies so much that even with chambering the bodies can be heavier then one without depending on the piece. There is a 3lb. 12 oz. body which would have been at the top of my weight range and I was hoping to go that way. I didn't see the trem route.

Do bodies ever show up in the Showcase without and bridge route done? Painted or not could be fine...just need to know if I should even bother continuing to check the Showcase and hoping.

I'll call on Mon. and see if maybe they can do something about a weight request. I believe they let you supply your own wood, but the upcharge for that is hefty.

No worries.

On the time it's good to remember that we have Forumites all over the world and others that keep odd hours.

Anyhow I haven't personally noticed a body without any form of bridge or tremolo route or drilling of some sort. Some of them will adapt to some choices and others not.

If a tele or Strat was an option for you that might be easier as you could search for American standard hardtails which can be done for a 2tek. But Jazz masters I don't suppose there are that many folks looking for those types of options to find them in the showcase.

edit... I forgot to mention, building and putting together guitars is best done when you can take your time and so on.

stratamania said:
No worries.

On the time it's good to remember that we have Forumites all over the world and others that keep odd hours.

Anyhow I haven't personally noticed a body without any form of bridge or tremolo route or drilling of some sort. Some of them will adapt to some choices and others not.

If a tele or Strat was an option for you that might be easier as you could search for American standard hardtails which can be done for a 2tek. But Jazz masters I don't suppose there are that many folks looking for those types of options to find them in the showcase.

edit... I forgot to mention, building and putting together guitars is best done when you can take your time and so on.

Good point on the strats if I happen to switch directions. Pretty set on the ergonomics of the Jazz/Jag.

Interesting to note that the pickguard on the Jazzmasters stops short of the bridge, they even make mention of this. I assumed it would be the same on the Jag, but just noticed that it covers the bridge area like Fender. I'll have to read the Jaguar pickguard page. I can only imagine this is done to accommodate the control plate on the Jaguar. Glad I noticed it!

Back