2nd project - Strat this time :)

Ted

Since my little bro picked up a Mexi strat, I've wanted one more and more. To make matters worse I've been watching Cream Live at Albert Hall and also Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock so I have been yearning for those Strat tones for a while (well Eric's strat still kinda sounds like a strat?!)

So I scored a loaded pickguard with Bareknuckle Apaches from the 'bay and following a past few months I have been trawling the forum / internet / for ideas for a look colours and had many days deliberating over different body colours woods materials etc.

When I came back from holiday I ran the neck feed and spotted this neck.

SN4147a.jpg

That was a week ago and I've just put the order in. I'm pretty excited. I'm going to go for vintage fender frets (6230) but not stainless steel this time as I don't really like their feel on my SG's neck. I'm also getting Warmoth to paint in Vintage Gloss as I don't want to do this myself.

In terms of the body I am still not 100% sure, but I am leaning VERY heavily towards Willyk's Korinakaster and Troubled Treble's Korina Strat with THAT Ziricote neck.

The idea is that I would finish the body myself using Tung oil, which I could easily do in my apartment (I think).

Thats all for now, I'll post a pic when I get the neck.

Ted   :icon_thumright:

I made a black korina strat with a maple / maple neck about 18 months ago. I used a Wilkinson loaded pickguard and all black hardware. Korina sounds great. I finished it myself using grain filler and tru-oil gunstock finish. I sold it later as I am a really a tele player but I would recommend korina to anybody building a strat.

Sweet! It would look very nice with a not very dark body... Perhaps a Black Korina in a light color would be amazing!

G'day Ted; that's a beautiful neck mate. It looks like it came from the same litter as the one I've got on my telemaster. That's got 6230s as well. It should look outrageous on a korina body good on ya! :icon_thumright:

NonsenseTele said:
Sweet! It would look very nice with a not very dark body... Perhaps a Black Korina in a light color would be amazing!

Yes that's what I was thinking. No colouring just Tung oil.

That's a GREAT lookin' neck!!!!!!!!! 
BB in SC
Cheers Bill, I thought so too. It was love at first sight... :toothy11:

G'day Ted; that's a beautiful neck mate. It looks like it came from the same litter as the one I've got on my telemaster. That's got 6230s as well. It should look outrageous on a korina body good on ya!

Thanks Willyk yes Korina is the way forward I reckon, hope you don't mind me rippin' off your idea!  :toothy11: Mind you all good ideas are ripped off because they are exactly that - very good!!! I just hope I can get the finish to look like the one you managed on yours.

Just heard from Warmoth - neck is already sold....boooooooo

:sad1:

Apparently it sold in the two minutes I took to respond to the Warmoth Sales rep with my e-mail confirmation of the order.

Warmoth emailed me @ 16:59 GMT time and I responded @ 17:01 GMT. In that time gap the neck was sold!!!

I think thats a sign...

Back to the drawing board... :dontknow:

Mate, that's a real bummer. It has happened to me but not with such a fine margin. I guess it's a bit to do with not having the E store available to overseas customers. I wonder if the buy it now button works for us 'aliens'?
Ah well, back to the showcase for you my man! There are some nice necks on there at the moment. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

I might just order a body instead now, as I cannot find a neck I like just yet and my bro has bought me the complete Callaham hardware assembly for the Strat. Good lad.

Oh well, there's a lesson to be learnt here, if you like something you see and your overseas, buy it as soon as possible!!! :doh:

Interesting.

SN4413a.jpg

Ipe fingerboard. Apparently like hard maple tonally.

Anyone else have experience with Ipe?

Back