24-fret, 34"-scale bass necks without an extension

I don't get it, is there a question here somewhere? any usefull information here? 

You Bass players are a strange breed, I'm sure all the other bass players will understand your post

Alfang said:
I don't get it, is there a question here somewhere? any usefull information here? 

You Bass players are a strange breed, I'm sure all the other bass players will understand your post
Sorry, it's a product suggestion.

Right now, you can get a 2-octave, 24-fret neck but it has an extension that goes beyond the 34"-scale regular portion of the neck (it covers part of the body face or pickguard). I'm suggesting that they offer a true 24-fret neck instead, without an extension.

Please pardon the prior vagueness.

I think pocket compatibility is the primary concern there - it would be an odd odd duck.

you would also have to do major surgery to the cut aways ...

you do realize if you utilize a standard J-bass body design, all of this extra neck length would have to be put exactly where the 24-fret extended fretboard overhangs, and that this would be one incredibly deep neck pocket, and that all of those extra frets will be just as inaccessable as they are on the extension neck?

to do a 24-fret J-bass influenced design, it will take some serious body redesigning to get it all to work ... and then you'd have completely lost the Fender vibe IMO

all the best,

R

p.s. Alfang - the original post made complete sense to a fellow bottom dweller :) I guess it's kinda like me hearing a group of thin stringers (guitarists) having a deep conversation about the best 12AX7 tube to use in their preamp. phhht!  :icon_tongue:

selowitch said:
-CB- said:
I think pocket compatibility is the primary concern there - it would be an odd odd duck.
Okay, so lose the rounded heel, then.

Its not the shape of the pocket, but the SIZE, and how far it would have to go into the body. 

i have to be incredibly rude in saying DEE DEE DEE.  make the neck longer and make it fit the route,  just move the bridge a little bit closer to the route, to keep the scale at 34".

and that said i got the post to.  bass players are like wizards, hard to find but extremely wise and mystical.  and some times spit fire.  :toothy12:

Back