22 vs. 24

It's personal preference.  I don't think neck pickup tone suffers that much from just a little bit of a move towards the bridge, but others feel different.  I have a friend who is a phenomenal shredder, and he wouldn't be without his 24 frets.  Then again, a lot of players who stay predominantly in the style use their bridge pickups 95% of the time anyway.  Heck, a lot of shredder guitars don't even have neck pickups.

On another note, Carvin reintroduced their DC150 a few years ago due to requests by their customer base.  It differed in all the Carvin neckthrus in that it had 22 frets instead of 24.  I recall reading on the Carvin message board about how much better the neck pickup tone was since it was just a little bit further north.  I don't think they offer the new(er) DC150 anymore though.

Strings vibrate least at their nodes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Harmonic_partials_on_strings.svg

I play a lot of fretted notes, anyway. :hello2:

Posted by Wrangler...." For this reason . . . Warmoth should make an actual 25.5 24 fret neck . . . not just an extension. "

Think about it, there  isn't any difference between 24 extension and "actual 25.5 24 fret neck" in terms of the relative position of the neck pickup...

How can there be!!!!

There is the same distance between the end of the fretboard and the bridge in both cases!!

Funky Phil said:
Posted by Wrangler...." For this reason . . . Warmoth should make an actual 25.5 24 fret neck . . . not just an extension. "

Think about it, there  isn't any difference between 24 extension and "actual 25.5 24 fret neck" in terms of the relative position of the neck pickup...

How can there be!!!!

There is the same distance between the end of the fretboard and the bridge in both cases!!

Boy was I wrong in my last post  :tard:. I just noticed side to side with 2 guitars (iba 24 and std 22 frets) that the neck pickup is closer to the bridge on the ibanez. Allright, I was the noob here  :redflag:

And which neck position do you like better: the 24 fret neck pickup or the 22 (Lets hope they're both hums [or singles] so were not comparing apples and oranges.)

Damn, the pickups are so different its impossible to say  :(. The Ibanez RG7 got a pair of EMG707. They are super loud and dark. My godin telecaster clone got a Seymour Lil JB in the neck. More glassy and different frequencys response. Id say I like both! Definitely a bit "rounder" on the 22fret model, i.e. the sound do reflect the position of the pickup.

Interesting . . .
A more "rounded" sound claimed by the 22 fret model.

Anyone else with this experiance?

Wrangler said:
Greg thats not the point . . .

The overal sound that results from the 24 fret extension would not be able to match the (superior sound claimed by the) 22 fret neck. Therefore, because of the movment torwards the bridge, not matter how many times you change the pickups (SD, Dimarzio, etc.), you will not be able to have your neck pickup in the so called "sweetspot." - - No matter how many times you change the pickup, you wont be able to move it closer to the head stock.

For this reason . . . Warmoth should make an actual 25.5 24 fret neck . . . not just an extension.

The scale is 25.5" regardless of the extension.  The 24th fret, not the scale, is what keeps you from moving the pickup forward.  On a 22 fret neck, the neck pickup sits below what would normally be the 24th fret harmonic on a LP, Strat, and PRS.  All three are different scales.

Back