12-16" radius neck with LSR roller nut?

greenmeanie

Why does Warmoth offer a LSR Roller NUT option on a 12-16" radius neck?
I thought the LSR roller nuts are a 9.5" radius.

It is a reasonable question.

Warmoth mentions at https://warmoth.com/guitar-neck-string-nuts that it will work with radii between 9 - 11" or the 10 - 16" compound, which seems inconsistent with what is offered as options elsewhere on the site.

Now that a 12-16" compound is offered and has LSR as an option in the builder, if it is not a mistake or bug in the options for that radius of neck, perhaps it is felt that it will work with that also. It seems also to be offered on the website as an option for straight 12" radius.

It works fine with the 10-16 compound but I don't see the point of a 12-16 compound in the first place, 9.5 to 14 or 10-14 which Warmoth don't currently offer are more mathematically sound.

I think I screwed up but some of that blame should be on Warmoth too.
I was going to order a 10-16" compound neck but seen they had a 12-16" with a mark on it at a discount and grabbed that. I always wanted to try a LSR roller nut so picked that option and Warmoth cut it and shipped it off to me never saying it wouldn't work.
After I received it and started staining the neck something told me to look into the radius of a LSR rolling nut and low and behold it says from 9.5-11" radius. So being I am building the guitar I should of looked into this ahead of time but I would think Warmoth shouldn't allow you to pick this option if it can't work with a compound radius 12-16". I contacted them and waiting on a reply but it is really going to stink if I have to eat this neck.

It will all bolt up and work. It’s like when you use a Floyd nut (which is 10”) on straight 16” radius fretboards. It’s not all that uncommon it just won’t give you a uniform action height. It may not be the most ideal situation for most cases but there’s nothing to say it won’t work fine for years to come. Don’t worry about it and enjoy 👌

I seen some older post saying the intonation wouldn't be right so got worried.

But I did receive a reply from Warmoth today and thought I would share it so others wondering will have an answer.

In our experience, 9" is the inside and 12" is the outside of
what can comfortably be used with an LSR nut...

greenmeanie said:
I think I screwed up but some of that blame should be on Warmoth too.
I was going to order a 10-16" compound neck but seen they had a 12-16" with a mark on it at a discount and grabbed that. I always wanted to try a LSR roller nut so picked that option and Warmoth cut it and shipped it off to me never saying it wouldn't work.
After I received it and started staining the neck something told me to look into the radius of a LSR rolling nut and low and behold it says from 9.5-11" radius. So being I am building the guitar I should of looked into this ahead of time but I would think Warmoth shouldn't allow you to pick this option if it can't work with a compound radius 12-16". I contacted them and waiting on a reply but it is really going to stink if I have to eat this neck.
Not sure if it’s the Ws responsibility to address this. It’s akin to ordering a Tele neck and a Strat body (or vice versa).

Your buying parts, it’s your responsibility to know if those parts are compatible.  If you don’t know, ask before buying.

The slight "mismatch" probably won't make any major difference in play-ability.

At the E to e width of the nut the difference of slot height (or ball bearing height for an LSR) that a radius between 9 and 12 inches will create will not be not that great compared to a theoretical 9.5 radius so it will probably play okay as others have said. I would also say that there are probably more badly cut nuts made of bone, tusq etc demonstrating more inaccuracy of a less than perfect mathematical radius.

Warmoth should update the LSR section of https://warmoth.com/guitar-neck-string-nuts to include 9 to 12 rather than 9 to 11 as currently stated.

Back