10 Albums that define you

Sounds to me like you would be more of a fan of "Snortin Whiskey" also, you know it is a cover song right?
yea, bruh, i know it's not a PT original but is that even relevant? the band i was in 20 years ago stopped covering Santeria for the same reason: its pretty gross. i guess you can like it if you want, but not #ThisGuy. after all, what is taste, if nothing more than the jagged outline of one person's incomplete perspective. :unsure:

yea, bruh, i know it's not a PT original but is that even relevant? the band i was in 20 years ago stopped covering Santeria for the same reason: its pretty gross. i guess you can like it if you want, but not #ThisGuy. after all, what is taste, if nothing more than the jagged outline of one person's incomplete perspective. :unsure:
I have never, nor do I condone, the hitting of any women. However, if you view history/music etc. with such a myopic lens you are prone to "Tossing out the baby with the Bathwater". Lastly, I liked the whole album, not just that song. By your measure we probably shouldn't be listening to half the music in history. Your mileage may vary!✌️

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never, nor do I condone, the hitting of any women. However, if you view history/music etc. with such a myopic lens you are prone to "Tossing out the baby with the Bathwater". Lastly, I liked the whole album, not just that song. By your measure we probably shouldn't be listening to half the music in history. Your mileage may vary!✌️
eh, like i originally said, if u are comfortable with what it celebrates and quite proudly glorifies, it's not a bad song and has some hot licks (aside note, why do we call em licks???) but i am not comfortable with it. #shrug

NEway i realized i didn't slot Dark Side of the Moon in my list, but then again our moon is pretty pathetic compared to all the cool moons out there in the solar system. so much other moons have all these cool features all our moon did was smash with us and get a free ride for a few billion years. mf'er won't even show us its backside.

europa is such a cool moon. like it could have liquid water underneath. gravitational effects of its planet jupiter and some of Jupiter's other Moons (including Ganymede, a moon so sick, it is bigger than the planet Mercury), Callisto (another huge butt moon bigger than ours, another one that might even have water as well) and Io (thats i to the o), a pizza coloured dude with heckin sulfuric volcanoes) cause internal movement for the body, meaning there might not only be the biggest ocean currently known in the universe there, but it could very well have geothermic vents. #wow #whoa Geothermic vents mean that there could potentially be life there, dawg. our stupid idiot moon can't do none of that, it's just barren except for the garbage we leave after each visit

how about that Titan? the biggest moon of Saturn, its so big its gravity helps smaller moons from crashing into the planet - it is literally saving their lives, homieo. culd our moon do that? pff, he too pathetic to do anything of the sort. not only that, but titan be the only moon with a proper greenhouse effect going on (has a atmosphere) and oceans made out of liquid methane (and again, might have liquid water). could our moon (waste of space debris that it is) have an atmosphere? the flimsy little dust bubble it has around it hardly counts it's so weak. what we got, tides? boring.

so anyway, pink floyd shoulda written about any moon other than ours. maybe they will someday and finally get that #1 download

Last edited:
All good Rob. We are all the same and all different. I am personally uncomfortable using the outdated social term Mulatto and you embrace it, different strokes ✌️

The Beatles- Magical Mystery Tour
The Beatles- White Album
Built to Spill- There's Nothing Wrong With Love
Sonic Youth- Goo
Van Halen - 1984
Hendrix- Are You Experienced?
Nirvana- Nevermind
Pixies- Trompe Le Monde
ELO- New World Record
Bauhaus- The Sky's Gone Out

Honorable Mention to The Velvet Underground & Nico

Last edited:
I don't normally post on stuff like this, but when I do, I really like it.

• King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity
  • The Blues Brothers Motion Picture Soundtrack (lol it's really amazing and shaped my musical tastes as a kid)
  • Pink Floy - Animals
  • Guns-n-Roses - Appetite for Destruction
  • Pearl Jam - Ten
  • Gomez - In Our Gun
  • Blind Melon - Nico
  • Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation
  • Al Green - Greatest Hits
  • The Beatles - Abbey Road
I mean I could list any Floyd album, any Gomez album, and almost any Gizz album... but those stick out I suppose. Fun. :)

No way could I keep it to just 10, so I split it up a bit.

Early influences --
Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Dio - Holy Diver
Judas Priest - Point of No Return
Rush - Permanent Waves
Rush - Grace Under Pressure
Joe Satriani - Surfin' With the Alien
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?
Alcatrazz - No Parole From Rock-n-Roll
Rainbow - Rainbow
Deep Purple - MachineHead

Middle ages --
Eric Johnson - Ah Via Musicom
Ian Moore - Ian Moore
Kenny Wayne Shepard - Ledbetter Heights
Steve Vai - Passion and Warfare
Rush - Counterparts
Gary Hoey - Bug Alley
Gary Hoey - Hocus Pocus

Stuff I've been into lately --
Joe Satriani - Crystal Planet
Joe Satriani - Black Swans and Wormhole Wiizards
Steve Vai - Fire Garden Suite
Nick Johnston - Atomic Mind
Nick Johnston - Remarkably Human
The Winery Dogs - The Winery Dogs
The Winery Dogs - Hot Streak
Kotzen-Smith

...and there are many, many more.

I can't define myself in only 10 albums, and my musical taste is all over the place. As for influencing me to play electric guitar, I'd have to say VH-1 started it all, even though I play nothing like EVH.

Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin II
The Zombies: Odessey and Oracle
Pink Floyd: The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Pink Floyd: Meddle
Jeff Beck: Blow by Blow
Leo Kottke: My Feet are Smiling
The Beatles: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
The Beatles: Abbey Road
King Crimson: in the Court of the Crimson King
Bob Dylan: Blonde on Blonde

This is a great one. I’m going to limit myself to one per artist, as if you can decipher my UserID you’ll realize what the list would be dominated by. After going over my list everything below #4 starts bunching together, so to summarize myself as a guitar player I need these 15 albums.

1. Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
2. Led Zeppelin - II
3. Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
3. Metallica - Kill ‘em All
4. Tool - Lateralus
5. Alice In Chains - Jar of Flies
6. Van Halen - I
7. Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley
8. Social Distortion - Self Titled
9. The Refreshments - Fizzy Fuzzy, Big and Buzzy
10. This Will Destroy You - Young Mountain
11. Mogwai - Happy Songs for Happy People
12. Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
13. Days of the New - S/T (Orange)
14. Sum 41 - Does This Look Infected
15. Green Day Dookie

This is a great one. I’m going to limit myself to one per artist, as if you can decipher my UserID you’ll realize what the list would be dominated by. After going over my list everything below #4 starts bunching together, so to summarize myself as a guitar player I need these 15 albums.

1. Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
2. Led Zeppelin - II
3. Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
3. Metallica - Kill ‘em All
4. Tool - Lateralus
5. Alice In Chains - Jar of Flies
6. Van Halen - I
7. Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley
8. Social Distortion - Self Titled
9. The Refreshments - Fizzy Fuzzy, Big and Buzzy
10. This Will Destroy You - Young Mountain
11. Mogwai - Happy Songs for Happy People
12. Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
13. Days of the New - S/T (Orange)
14. Sum 41 - Does This Look Infected
15. Green Day Dookie
Mogwai - nice!

I'm going to try to do this chronologically, chronologic to the impact they had on me, not album release.

Nirvana - Bleach (first exposure to them, but love everything)
Green Day - Dookie (first exposure to them, but love everything until American Idiot)
Slipknot - ST (first exposure to them, but love IOWA, after that no interested, but a huge impact on my life)
White Stripes - White Blood Cells (first exposure to them, but love everything including White's solo stuff and the Raconteurs)
Clash - London Calling (first exposure to them, but love mostly everything)
The Cure - Blood Flowers (first exposure to them, but love mostly everything)
Bad Religion - No Substance (first exposure to them, but love mostly everything, especially No Control)
Minor Threat - Complete Discography
Modest Mouse - Lonesome Crowded West (second exposure to them, but love mostly everything [first exposure was "Float On" and I hated it ATT])
Elliot Smith - XO (first exposure to them, but love everything)
Bear vs. Shark - Terror Hawk (First new band for me to discover after thinking I didn't like anything but what I already liked)

Led Zep III
Led Zep II
Jeff Beck Blow by Blow
Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland
Yes The Yes Album
Yngwie Malmsteen Rising Force
Ozzy Blizzard of Oz
Iron Maiden The Number of the Beast
Moby Play
The Doors

Man, there is so much to consider here. Rather than narrow it to the Definitive Ten Albums, here are ten albums that have, at various times in my life, been very meaningful to me:

Vangelis - Antarctica
Jeff Beck - There and Back
Bill Frisell - Nashville
Crosby Stills & Nash - Self-titled debut album
Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries
Steve Vai - Flex-Able + Flex-Able Leftovers
Joe Satriani - Surfing With the Alien
Maura O'Connell - Blue Train
Elton John - Greatest Hits Vol 1
John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman - Self titled Impulse release

And honorable mention to the entire stable of Shrapnel shred artists' solo albums from back when I was still figuring out how to play a G-chord, but particularly the self-titled albums from Greg Howe, and Michael Lee Firkins, who never really got as big as I think he should have; and Vinnie Moore's Mind's Eye. Mad props to Billy Sheehan and Atma Anur, killing it as the rhythm section for hire.

Man, there is so much to consider here. Rather than narrow it to the Definitive Ten Albums, here are ten albums that have, at various times in my life, been very meaningful to me:

Vangelis - Antarctica
Jeff Beck - There and Back
Bill Frisell - Nashville
Crosby Stills & Nash - Self-titled debut album
Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries
Steve Vai - Flex-Able + Flex-Able Leftovers
Joe Satriani - Surfing With the Alien
Maura O'Connell - Blue Train
Elton John - Greatest Hits Vol 1
John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman - Self titled Impulse release

And honorable mention to the entire stable of Shrapnel shred artists' solo albums from back when I was still figuring out how to play a G-chord, but particularly the self-titled albums from Greg Howe, and Michael Lee Firkins, who never really got as big as I think he should have; and Vinnie Moore's Mind's Eye. Mad props to Billy Sheehan and Atma Anur, killing it as the rhythm section for hire.
I like all of Hedges albums quite a bit.

He was a monster, wasn't he? I hear a lot of modern acoustic percussive playing these last few years and I say to myself, curmudgeon that I am, "Hedges already did that, did it better, and did it much, much weirder."

He was a monster, wasn't he? I hear a lot of modern acoustic percussive playing these last few years and I say to myself, curmudgeon that I am, "Hedges already did that, did it better, and did it much, much weirder."
I remember seeing Hedges in guitar mags ages ago but I never listened to him. Now in the era of streaming I’ve discovered him and and, wow does that hit a sweet spot for me.

Back in 1988, I reckon it was, or maybe 1989, I went to a concert at the University of Arizona in which Michael Hedges was the opener for Leo Kottke. Blew my mind wide open. I had never seen either of them before, and was knocked out first by the guitar playing, which I had already begun to appreciate from their recordings; but I was also struck by what capable showmen they were. Each of them had tremendous presence and awareness in the venue, and each was hilarious in his own way - Hedges (sporting very long hair with lots of beads woven into the braids) was rocking his "look what a weirdo I am" self-deprecating mad-scientist vibe, complete with extensive discourse on how his harp-guitar was actually the Starship Enterprise; and Leo... well, Leo's wit is simultaneously as absurd and as erudite as it is dry, and it is as dry as the Empty Quarter.

Back