1 Piece Maple Neck, 59 RB: 1st Impressions + Pics

fdesalvo

Just finished burnishing the Tru-Oil finish on this showcase Tele neck and all I can say is wow!

The original neck, which is now up on eBay, was wonderful and very toneful (had a dead one before), but I couldn't get along with the Warmoth headstock on the Tele body.  Another minor annoyance was that this guitar was neck heavy - the mahogany body is unusually light.  I loved the Standard Thin carve with the SS6150s, but I wanted to try a 59 RB.

I haven't even had the chance to plug her in yet, but I can already tell this one is magical.  I have never played on such a lively neck before - even the high E string sends vibrations up and down this thing and it sounds great acoustically - actually balanced lol, but much lower in volume obviously.  Now the guitar is perfectly balanced on the shoulder - no more fighting to keep the guitar level! 

The 59 is the most comfortable carve out of the load I've owned in the past including, Standard Thin, Wolfgang, Fatback, and Wizard.  Each of the other necks felt like a compromise in terms of where I could comfortably play at a particular speed; the RB is comfy for fast or slow fretwork from the nut to the heel.  I wish I had gone straight to this carve, but now I know what's right for my hands.

Time will tell how the 1 piece holds up, but I'm very happy with the feel and resonance I'm experiencing.  I had no idea that a neck could contribute so much to the tone of the instrument.

null_zps7a5e95ec.jpg

null_zpsd6c5c574.jpg

null_zpse5136438.jpg

null_zpsd7f7c032.jpg

null_zps9c299302.jpg

null_zps4249d8f4.jpg

Beautiful bird's eye! I've been curious about the round backs. -Someone told me that they feel like a gibson... -which all thier back contours (with the slim taper being the exception) feel like a 2"x4+ to me, so, I've been hesitant to say the least! but W's picture of the cross-section curvature looks like it would be a fun one, so I dunno... with this feed-back, I may have to chance it and try one out.

I do not like the Gibson 59 profile (thumb cramper)!  I find this to be a little smaller in the hand, which works for me.  There's just enough wood to fill the pocket in your hand when you are playing it and the shape of the shoulders is just right.  I have a Wolfgang (in 1.75") that is just a bear; but its a big comfy bear.  That one is not built for speed, but is one hell of a cruiser lol.  This 59 seems like the perfect blend for me.  Just a very natural contour really.  Actually it feels remarkably similar to my old Musicman Silhouette, which I found very comfy.

I absolutely love Warmoth's '59 contour, and I think it's the most transitional of all of the necks if switching from a smaller profile like the Wolfie or Wizard to something larger, or from something larger like a Fatback, Boatneck, or SRV down to something smaller.

Beautiful guitar! I like the forearm contour on the body and the figure on the neck is sweet.  :eek:ccasion14:

Is that cocobolo for the skunkstripe?

Thanks, guys!

TFS - What a GREAT contour!!  How could I have been so blind!  Comfort and speed!

R6 - She's still got your plate on 'er!

Lush - Thanks, brotha!  I believe it's walnut, but I could be mistaken!

fdesalvo said:
Thanks, guys!

TFS - What a GREAT contour!!  How could I have been so blind!  Comfort and speed!

R6 - She's still got your plate on 'er!

Lush - Thanks, brotha!  I believe it's walnut, but I could be mistaken!
I seen it... :icon_thumright:

Back