1-11/16 neck slightly wider than LSR rolling nut

StaticBeagle

Hi all,

I have a wizard neck with the following specs:
  • Ebony fretboard with maple shaft
  • 10-16 compound radius
  • 1-11/16 nut width
I noticed that the neck is slightly (by slightly I mean almost nothing) wider than the LSR nut thus, there's a small piece of wood from the fretboard that shows since the nut doesn't cover the whole slot. My question now is, is this normal? Fender states in their website that the required nut width for the lsr is 1-11/16 but from my rather rudimentary measurements (bought a caliper, just haven't received it) it seems like the neck is slightly bigger than 43mm. I've seen a few other builds online and original fender necks with the lsr nut and, as far as I can zoom  :), I don't see the neck being wider that the lsr nut. I've tried to take a few good pictures to show what I'm taking about hopefully they help. I've removed the mounting screws to take a look at the fretboard before I took pictures but the nut is where it's supposed to be and both screws are aligning perfectly with the holes on the fretboard.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1178.jpg
    IMG_1178.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 254
  • IMG_1181.jpg
    IMG_1181.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 233
Yeah it’s not really a problem and the neck is great, I was just curious about it. Also, small variations make sense, I would assume things are going to be within a certain tolerance.

Thanks for your help.

This is probably a bad idea but maybe you could mix a bit of activated charcoal with some glue and put a tiiiiny bit into the gaps beside the nut?

I have two Warmoth necks for LSR nuts and neither are like that. One of them I am working on at the moment.

My view is before proceeding I would contact your Warmoth sales rep.

stratamania said:
I have two Warmoth necks for LSR nuts and neither are like that. One of them I am working on at the moment.

My view is before proceeding I would contact your Warmoth sales rep.

Oh I see. Thanks for sharing this. I was afraid that if I got another neck with the lsr nut, I might have the same issue.

The neck is super old though so it might a tad late to contact the sales rep. Nevertheless, I never noticed till the other day when I saw the first string kinda leaning towards the b string around the first fret and consecutively the nut.

So I guess my neck is the ugly duckling  :( haha.

Again thanks for sharing that both the necks you have do not have this problem. It’s good to know that the neck I have is a one off and that this issue is not something I might run into should I decide to buy another neck with this type of nut.

Thanks a lot!

This is probably a bad idea but maybe you could mix a bit of activated charcoal with some glue and put a tiiiiny bit into the gaps beside the nut?

WTH? Of course it's a bad idea.

AirCap said:
Slight mismatches are not unusual, and usually not a problem.

AirCap's right. I've got three necks with LSR nuts on them and of those, two are flush and the third has a very slight gap like yours. I doubt that it'll cause any kind of problem, except for aesthetics.

Back