Z Body Dream Build

Finished the binding scrape and sanding (thanks Spud for the advice on that). I had to do some light sanding to the top where the water-born dye had raised the grain. So then I had to make another pass with some turquoise dye as a wash to feather everything in. She is all set for me to start the finishing process this weekend :)

Attachments

• IMG_7815.jpg
    IMG_7815.jpg
    948.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7816.jpg
    IMG_7816.jpg
    951.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7817.jpg
    IMG_7817.jpg
    951.3 KB · Views: 34
Finished the binding scrape and sanding (thanks Spud for the advice on that). I had to do some light sanding to the top where the water-born dye had raised the grain. So then I had to make another pass with some turquoise dye as a wash to feather everything in. She is all set for me to start the finishing process this weekend :)
Nice job sir! Heck I might even say SASSY!

Time for doing a little more headstock tweaking, this time with color. Taped off the beveled edge and applied some Transtint Aqua. The Goncalo Alves takes tint wayyyyyy different. I did a few tests on the heel of the neck to get my mixes right.

After the aqua went on (which looks almost black in certain lighting) I added a few drops of Minwax white wash to the Aqua dye and put on a second coat. The white wash added the right amount of opacity to the tint that it made it pop against the darker wood to match the blue tones of the body. I'm very pleased with how it came out. There is a bit of an optical illusion making the headstock profile seem much slimmer now. It also adds a bit of continuity with the blue theme without painting completely over the beautiful wood of the Goncalo.

Attachments

• IMG_7827 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7827 Large.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7833 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7833 Large.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7836 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7836 Large.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7835 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7835 Large.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7834 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7834 Large.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7846 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7846 Large.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 30
Spent most of the weekend playing with waterbased poly sanding sealer and level sanding. I probably won't have any progress pics for about a week as there is not much to update as I stack on the coats. I will probably only be able to do one a day as my work schedule is rather demanding during the week.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_7858.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7858.jpg
    604.8 KB · Views: 26
  • thumbnail_IMG_7856.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7856.jpg
    600.4 KB · Views: 29
That's very handsome work. Thanks for sharing with us.

Ok so quick update here. I was VERY unhappy with how the wipe on poly was going with this so I sanded it back and went with rattle can nitro. I was using Oxford brand on the Red Strat in my other post, and ordered Colortone nitro from Stew Mac for this Z Body and boy am I happy with it. I have 4 coats of sanding sealer on and took this photo after the first coat of clear had dried. I should have about 7 more coats stacked on by the end of this week.

I also got my hands on a piece of 1/8" thick curly maple that I traced out the control cavity plate cover onto and cut out with my scroll saw. I did my best to match the finish to it last night and applied a quick coat of sealer to it. I'll be stacking several more coats of clear on it but I'm pleased with how it came out thus far. Let me know what you guys think :)

Attachments

• IMG_7946.JPG
    IMG_7946.JPG
    562.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7944.JPG
    IMG_7944.JPG
    688.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7945.JPG
    IMG_7945.JPG
    646.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7950.JPG
    IMG_7950.JPG
    754.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7949.JPG
    IMG_7949.JPG
    681.7 KB · Views: 15
Thanks Eddie.

Forgot to mention a fun little fact @Aaron and those of you who watched his video on using rattle can nitro. I too felll victim to the index finger blister from those damn tiny little nozzle caps 😂

Ok so quick update here. I was VERY unhappy with how the wipe on poly was going with this so I sanded it back and went with rattle can nitro. I was using Oxford brand on the Red Strat in my other post, and ordered Colortone nitro from Stew Mac for this Z Body and boy am I happy with it. I have 4 coats of sanding sealer on and took this photo after the first coat of clear had dried. I should have about 7 more coats stacked on by the end of this week.

I also got my hands on a piece of 1/8" thick curly maple that I traced out the control cavity plate cover onto and cut out with my scroll saw. I did my best to match the finish to it last night and applied a quick coat of sealer to it. I'll be stacking several more coats of clear on it but I'm pleased with how it came out thus far. Let me know what you guys think :)
It has to go on really thin and sometimes thinned too.

Much like the Strat project I'm building simultaneously I took to the frets on this last night. Taped off, leveled, crowned, sanded, and polished to a mirror shine. I think my technique on rounding off the fret ends is getting in the realm of passable and I'm very happy with it!

Attachments

• IMG_8007.JPG
    IMG_8007.JPG
    649.8 KB · Views: 3
  • file.JPG
    file.JPG
    661.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8008.JPG
    IMG_8008.JPG
    693.5 KB · Views: 5
  • polished.JPG
    polished.JPG
    587.7 KB · Views: 8
  • polished3.JPG
    polished3.JPG
    729.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8012.JPG
    IMG_8012.JPG
    567.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Much like the Strat project I'm building simultaneously I took to the frets on this last night. Taped off, leveled, crowned, sanded, and polished to a mirror shine. I think my technique on rounding off the fret ends is getting in the realm of passable and I'm very happy with it!
Nice work. I personally like to string up a guitar neck and adjust the truss rod, saddles and play it for a month or more before I futz with the frets or nut. (unless a fret rocker were to find something very amiss initially which has only been once) YMMV.

Back