What Kind Of Tuners?

rgand

Epic Member
OK, so now that I'm getting close to finishing my current build, my attention is on what's going to follow.

I have installed both Hipshot and Fender (Schaller?) staggered, locking tuners on my two Warmoth necks. I'll be ordering another neck in a while and am looking for the best tuners possible. I've read up on Hipshot, Sperzel, Schaller & Gotoh.

Looking to go with staggered, locking, enclosed tuners. Does anyone have recommendations on which ones are best or at least top quality? Thanks for any input on this.

Hi Rgand,

I'm personally a big big fan of Gotoh.  I've used the staggered lockers on several guitars and I absolutely love them.  Top drawer stuff.  Highly recommended.

I have also used Hipshot lockers, Schaller, and Sperzel.  Of those my least favourite were the Sperzel.  Hipshot is pretty good (as I'm sure you know), but IMHO Gotoh is better.

Order them here: http://www.japarts.ca

I can't give you a definitive answer, but I have sperzels on everything and they work excellent for me.

These days, as long as you stay away from Kluson I'm not sure there's a bad tuner out there. Personally, I prefer Schaller's M6 Mini Lockers, but you have to be careful when buying them as they're not all staggered, some are top-locks and some are rear-locks, etc. I used to get them from Warmoth, but it looks like they're not selling tuners any more.

Even the schaller copies GFS puts out are fine. I'm actually thinking about planet waves for my build.

I've used those GFS copies to good effect, too. Very reasonably priced, as well.

The Planet Waves parts work well in general as tuners, but I've had a couple instances where their "auto-trim" feature left something to be desired, especially on the high B & E strings. Rather than cut the string, it'll just bend under the die. Once that happens, I'm sure the problem only gets worse, and I'd expect it to gradually move up the string sizes as well. It's a nice idea, but I think in order for it to work well and reliably over the extended life you'd expect out of a guitar, they'd need to mill those parts out of carbide or something, which would make them prohibitively expensive.

Thanks for all the great input. This is exactly what I was hoping for.

I forgot about the GFS and Planet Waves tuners.

Some can be had with your choice of flat buttons or round knobs, too. Never used the round knobs. I suppose they would be as good. I can see advantages to both.

GFS does offer a staggered locking tuner.
https://www.guitarfetish.com/Now-STAGGERED-Gotoh-style-Locking-Tuners-Sperzel-Style-String-Lock-_p_514.html

I bought some off ebay to avoid GFS crazy shipping on small orders, and thought they were staggered, however they're not.

Been thinking about going with Hipshots and being able to order different knobs might be a nice choice.

Of course the staggered, locking GFS ones are interesting, too.

Plenty of time to decide and by the time the time comes, I'll have it figured out. Probably. :icon_biggrin:

I love my GOTOH and Hipshots but they get really expensive really fast.

I would agree the GFS sperzel style staggered are the way to go.  $35 I think.  They are out of stock frequently so keep checking.  and yes....they are staggered.

I've tried planet waves, gotoh's, schallers, klusons and hipshots.  For me, the best bang for the buck are the hipshot, staggered, open back, grip lock, in-line, with UMP and a button upgrade (that's a mouthful!).  It can be done for less than $65.  But that said, the gotoh's and schallers are pretty good, and I've never had a problem with the planet waves, except once when the grip lock post fell off, but D'addario replaced it for free.

I like grip-locks because it's a faster string replacement.

All depends on your price point.

Rick said:
For me, the best bang for the buck are the hipshot, staggered, open back, grip lock, in-line, with UMP and a button upgrade....
Exactly, almost! I'd save the UMPs for upgrade jobs where you don't want to re-drill for the new installation. (That way you can always reinstall the originals, like before a sale, and not have extra holes.) On a new install, just mount as you would any other tuner. (IMHO)  :icon_thumright:

speaking of reinstalls, anyone know where to get Wenge tooth picks? (Besides looking crosseyed at a piece of wenge)

Back