Warmoth in Action video

dudesweet157

I'm the long haired, hippie freak in left corner. Still don't know the tune 100% (heresy, I know), so there are quite a few clams and more than a bit of gratuitous soloing. This is my purple swamp ash Strat with Rio Grandes.  The tone, albeit it a nice one (IMO anyway), just isn't very country and is very midrangy.  The Ragin' Cajun in my SCXD sounds great for rock, but I'm trying to get a twangier, less midrangy tone for this county project.

The basic tone is a SCXD with Ragin' Cajun speaker, channel 2, voice 4 (Blackface clean) which is supposed to be a scooped sort of tone. It's just about the only decent voice for cleans as the others just have way too much midrange for my tastes (with this speaker). I've got an H2O delay on the whole time to fatten up the sound. For the solos I used either an Xotic AC or RC depending on whether on wanted a just over the edge tone or a bit more grind. Close miked about midway between the center and edge of the speaker with a Sennheiser E609; I just draped it over.

I'm really  considering an Eminence Copperhead to replace the Ragin' Cajun. Based on the reviews I've read and the samples I've heard, it has a much more subdued midrange which should allow me to get some more cluck and twang out of the SCXD.  Any country guys in here that can point me in the right direction?

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=303sT5H1wt0[/youtube]
Thoughts? Opinions?

It's a cover song, you've got the hook down.  The lead isn't verbatim, but good for you.  There are too many bands that try to sound too much like the song they're covering....that's what juke boxes are for.  Don't be afraid to interject your own style into it.  The lead singer doesn't sound like a VanZandt, and that's fine.

As far as song selection, I know that's one of the most requested songs of any bar band (my band does that song too), but try and make yourself stand out a little more with song selection.  In any bar in any town with any band, you can always count on hearing Mustang Sally, Folsom Prison, Roadhouse Blues, Turn the Page, and Sweet Home Alabama.  They're great songs, but you don't want to be that band.  Learn the song to be done only when it is requested, and it will be.

Thanks STD Custom.  We play lots of other, more traditional country, this is just what the band leader decided to put up on the website because its such a popular tune to try and suck in new visitors.  We also play lots of less known songs.  He's giving me a CD of the whole night tomorrow at practice, I'll host some other vids myself when I get them.

Other songs we play include:
Marie Laveau - Bobby Bare
Help Me Make it Through the Night - ala The Highwaymen
Waymore Blues - Waylon Jennings
The Rock - Lee Roy Parnell

Lots of older country with the consumate southern rock songs as well.  Lots of Skynyrd, some Allman Bros, Bob Seger, etc.  We play some newer stuff too like:

Business Doing Pleasure With You - Tim McGraw
Toes - Zac Brown Band
Wave on Wave - Pat Green
In Color - Jamey Johnson

Here's more tape of us playing some Waylon
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DWuneS_gDM&feature=channel[/youtube]

Cool to see videos of live gigs! Hey that sign deal in front is pretty cool too. You could get pretty creative with one of those... :laughing7:

I noticed the reader board too, scroll display, whatever.  I think that's a great idea, don't know why more bands don't do it.

I'm gonna recommend it to a buddy of mine's band.

Oh and Dudesweet, you and the band sound good, You would sound better with a dif drummer , bassplayer, and singer, but the guitar player sounds great.  Just kidding mate, keep it up ya'll sound good, except as previously mentioned.

Back