[updated] Quilted Maple with Birdseye neck

Dazkeirle

Hi all,

I'm new here, first post so i thought what better way to start off than to say hi, show you some pics of my W strat and give you my little story.

I'm Daz, I'm 24 from Somerset England and have been playing guitar for 6 months. I take lessons and spend an obscene amount of time on the net (as I work as a web designer), and it didn't take long to find out about Warmoth bodies, and so had to have a custom build.

Here's the specs.

Warmoth Quilted Maple / Swamp Ash body, Birdseye Maple Mighty Mite neck, Seymour Duncan SSL-1 pickups, custom 7 stage switch, Sperzel locking tuners. Perhaps will change the neck for a W at some point and may upgrade the bridge to something meatier.

Pics are below - Hope you enjoy. (the Fender in the last pic is my other guitar, a 97 USA Roadhouse Strat with Texas Hot Vintage pickups.)

Daz

n509467556_1749909_2805829.jpg

4598_84520272556_509467556_1749911_7143595_n.jpg

4598_84520287556_509467556_1749913_4422415_n.jpg

n509467556_1749914_5947301.jpg

n509467556_1749916_6056213.jpg

4598_84520317556_509467556_1749917_6951529_n.jpg

n509467556_1749908_763478.jpg

Welcome to the madness Daz......Beautiful geetars you got there.... :icon_thumright:

But you probably should have posted these in the finished strat section...... :dontknow:

Ooops, hasn't really noticed those forums, if a mod would like to move this post, feel free.

Sorry. 

Don't stress. Gregg or wyliee will move it when they  arch up with it.

Nice guitar. At first glance I thought the pearloid scratchplate was a bit garish over the quilt maple top, but actually I quite like it.
The neck looks great. If you're happy with it don't change it.

Welcome along to the boards.

Jim (fellow uk warmie)

hehe, The jurys still out on the pickguard, it was free so i just stuck with it for now.

I think a plain black guard would suit it better, but there is something cool about perloid.

I think a white or maybe white pearloid pickguard would work better and not distract the viewer's attention from that lovely piece of maple. On the other hand, together with that neck it all has a certain over-the-top pimpness to it...  :toothy12:

haha,

I'm usually quite refined but after owning the gold fender, which is quite ott too, I don't mind so much anymore.

I think black would work well and highlight the quilt.

Dazkeirle said:
haha,

I'm usually quite refined but after owning the gold fender, which is quite ott too, I don't mind so much anymore.

I do agree, black would be most complimentary to the maple.....Or maybe kboman, might be on to something. Could try the PG from the gold strat on the maple one...... :dontknow:

DangerousR6 said:
Dazkeirle said:
haha,

I do agree, black would be most complimentary to the maple.....Or maybe kboman, might be on to something. Could try the PG from the gold strat on the maple one...... :dontknow:
True there guys.  It's such a nice top that something more neutral may be called for. 

Its still a beautiful Strat!  :icon_thumright:

DangerousR6 said:
Dazkeirle said:
haha,

+1 on throwing the PG from the gold strat on that maple.  You already have it, so it won't cost a thang!  Might as well give it a try.    :hello2:

Both are nice looking strats.
:rock-on:

I've decided.

The point of this guitar is the exotic woods so I'm gonna tone everything else down.

Plain black pickguard, black knobs, pick up covers and switch (why would anyone like aged white?) and replace the jack and bridge to match sperzels in matt / brushed alu.

That way all you get is a hit of the quilt in the wood and the eyes in the neck.

Wilkinson for the bridge methinks.

Does anyone know of replacement pickup covers with Seymour Dyncan printed on em?

p.s. thanks for the move :)

Dazkeirle said:
I've decided.

The point of this guitar is the exotic woods so I'm gonna tone everything else down.

Plain black pickguard, black knobs, pick up covers and switch (why would anyone like ages white?) and replace the jack and bridge to match sperzels in matt / brushed alu.

That way all you get is a hit of the quilt in the wood and the eyes in the neck.

Does anyone know of replacement pickup covers with Seymour Dyncan printed on em?

Now you're talkin'!  I wasn't really feeling the pickguard, but others beat me to that one.  I like your final plan.  Welcome to the board.  :icon_thumright:

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I'd just change the PG, leave the white covers and controls.

Hmm not feeling that too much.

It would look like an SRV with the sunburst, which would be great if I wanted that old school relic look but I don't, I want it to be about the wood and the hardwear so I think offsetting everything else to black, to match the outside of the body and the back with really highlight that awesome quilt and the birdseye in the woods.

I'm also toying with adding an N-Tune tuner to my volume pot, think that would make it a bit of a gadgetcaster what with the push pull pot for 7 stage aswell.

Also just ordered some custom decals to match the style of my Fender to say "Dazzler - customcaster"

Fun this guitar building lark.

DocNrock said:
Dazkeirle said:
I've decided.

Plain black pickguard, black knobs, pick up covers and switch (why would anyone like ages white?) and replace the jack and bridge to match sperzels in matt / brushed alu.

Now you're talkin'!  I wasn't really feeling the pickguard, but others beat me to that one.  I like your final plan.  Welcome to the board.   :icon_thumright:

Well the plan is in full motion.

I've received the third black pickguard for this guitar ordered, which actually passes my quality test and so will be used. Got it from WDMusic.

Also have black covers, knobs and ends etc.. Hoping to do the build tomorrow or may just take it for a professional setup (which it could do with) and get the tech to also fit the guard and covers at the same time.

Pics will be coming soon.

Now whether to get that N-Tune tuner, it sure does look coolio.

Regards to all and thanks for comments.

Back