That's Right, Ice....Man...., I AM Dangerous!

NedRyerson

iceman.gif

Placeholder for tomorrow's unboxing.

I am thinking you have an Iceman body, but who knows maybe you have a Cabronita coming and are throwing us a curve ball  :icon_scratch:

I wonder if you got a left handed iceman with a right handed route if it would be close enough to the fireman.

swarfrat said:
I wonder if you got a left handed iceman with a right handed route if it would be close enough to the fireman.
Probably, if you did the little cutaway in what would be the lower bout.... :dontknow:

Swamp ash body, maple neck with ebony fretboard, split block pearloid inlay and tiltback paddle headstock for another custom-cut headstock.

This is for my best friend, who's a big Mopar guy, so the inlay was tribute to the Dodge racing aesthetic.  The body will be some variation of purple (to match his Challenger).  I ordered black hardware from WM as well (tuning machines, TOM/STP bridge, strap buttons).

Finally, purple Dragonfire humbuckers.

Attachments

• 600px 2021-03-04 15.12.52.jpg
    600px 2021-03-04 15.12.52.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 182
  • 600px 2021-03-04 15.14.58.jpg
    600px 2021-03-04 15.14.58.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 205
  • 600px 2021-03-04 15.15.06.jpg
    600px 2021-03-04 15.15.06.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 202
  • 600px 2021-03-04 15.15.11.jpg
    600px 2021-03-04 15.15.11.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 600px 2021-01-23 15.34.52.jpg
    600px 2021-01-23 15.34.52.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 188
Loooookingggg Gooooood! I can see all kinds of possibilities there............. :headbang:

Yeah, I'm really impressed with the body. I know it's a two-piece since I can see the seam and the grain difference when I look down from the neck pocket, but they did a really great job matching the grain figure on the main part of the body, below the bridge.  I can barely see the grain pattern difference in that area.

Work will commence next month when we're back up north for the kids' spring break.

That's some seriously good looking Swamp Ash! I love that figure!
Congrats - keep us posted on your progress - I love purple - so this should be a super cool project!!!
Kudos sir!

rick2 said:
What finish are you planning

My initial pre-test "Sounds Good in my Head" plan:

• Black-tinted grain fill
  • Pre-stain conditioner
  • Purple dye
  • Sanding sealer
  • Darker purple/almost black burst
  • Gloss....something. Undecided yet on whether to go with lacquer or poly.

Of course, I might try a satin finish on the test piece to see whether it or gloss speak to me more once I see it. :)

I haven't decided on the delivery method of the burst, either, whether I'm spraying lacquer or using rattle cans (which would then affect the decision of the top coat finish).

My $.02 on the grain fill - I'd do it after the pre-stain conditioner so you don't end up staining the bare wood with the tinted filler.  And if it's a water based filling compound and water-soluble dye, maybe even after the sanding sealer, so the dye doesn't dissolve the filler. Obviously this necessitates a gentle hand when sanding the filler smooth so you don't sand through the color. 

Bagman67 said:
My $.02 on the grain fill - I'd do it after the pre-stain conditioner so you don't end up staining the bare wood with the tinted filler.  And if it's a water based filling compound and water-soluble dye, maybe even after the sanding sealer, so the dye doesn't dissolve the filler. Obviously this necessitates a gentle hand when sanding the filler smooth so you don't sand through the color.

Good tip, thank you!

All mine that I've used a black grain filler on, I did a couple coats of sanding sealer before i added the grain filler. I've no intention of ever removing the grain filler, but that was just the instructions that were given to me that I followed... :dontknow:

Some people even use a few coats of CA, then grain filler...But that stuff soaks in super fast, especially on mahogany...

Back