Switchback balance?

Vulpez

Hey guys! I dunno why it took me so long to find this place, I've been shopping at Warmoth for a couple of ye6ars now. Glad I did though, I've been curious about this for a long time:

How's the neck dive on a Switchback or any of the models where you'd want the strap pin replacing one of the neck bolts? I've always had terrible luck with bolt-on V guitars, and balance is a huge deal for me.

It'd be nice to meet people who've had experience, cause just Googling it turned up nothing.

Sorry, I can't help with this question.

Hopefully, someone who has experience of those bodies may comment.

The Nomad in my avatar was neck-heavy when the strap button was in the Gibson position. I attached it to a neck bolt, it now it balances perfectly.

double A said:
The Nomad in my avatar was neck-heavy when the strap button was in the Gibson position. I attached it to a neck bolt, it now it balances perfectly.

OHHH okay, I was confused there for a second. I thought you meant it was centered behind the neck like modern Explorers, and I was wondering "How would moving it an inch diagonally fix it? And how'd he get the screw though the plate?"  :laughing11:

No seriously, thanks for the feedback, that's good to know!

Question though: do you use strap locks? If so, how'd you make it work with the neck bolt?

Sorry...I wasn't very clear.

I originally put the strap button on the upper bout, above the neck. This made the guitar neck-heavy.

Then I moved it to the center of the plate. I drilled a hole in the plate for it:

buttonOnHeelPlate.jpg

I finally ended up attaching it to a neck screw, which is where it has lived every since.

Regarding strap locks, I do not use them. In fact I HATE them! I have tried them all, find every single brand/variant failing in some way. Obtrusive, clacky, wonky, fidgety, pendulous weights on the end of straps, turning them into swinging guitar-denters. Ugh...I hate strap locks SOO MUCH.

What I use instead are Oversize Strap Buttons, available from All Parts...as used by Suhr, Ibanez, et al. Use them and you'll never need stupid strap locks or dorky orange rubber washers again.

thumbnail.asp

I have replaced the strap buttons on every single instrument I own with these. When I'm not ordering them or screwing them on, I spend time on internet forums evangelizing for them. (And for a little context: I am very animated when I perform. I have never once had a strap slip off.)

Ahhhh, that explains it.

I'm the sort of person who needs that peace of mind, so I buy a set of locks for every new guitar. Maybe I'll see how the big pins work.

I dunno... Drinking your way down through two bottles of Grolsch to secure your strap can be enjoyable.

Seriously, I didn't know they made oversized strap buttons. I'm on it to find a pair for my next build. Thanks for the good idea.

Call me paranoid, but I gotta have locks. Aaron's right, though. The metal ends on your strap can turn it into a little mace that'll bite divots out of your finish if you aren't careful. Hasn't happened to me with locks, but I did it with a swinging belt buckle once. Fresh nitro finish, too. Had to cry myself to sleep  :laughing7:

I onced used large washers as my way of fastening the strap. Unscrew the strap buttons, put the washers in place, then the strap and screw the whole thing on. Done. I could do the whole twirling over the head, thigh swipe and rake-in-front-of-your-face stuff without any incidents.

W020-M8-Flat-Washer-00.jpg

Oh crap, I forgot about Grolsch! I was gonna give that washer thing a try a couple years back, but I could never remember which beer they'd suggested.

Logrinn said:
I onced used large washers as my way of fastening the strap. Unscrew the strap buttons, put the washers in place, then the strap and screw the whole thing on. Done. I could do the whole twirling over the head, thigh swipe and rake-in-front-of-your-face stuff without any incidents.

W020-M8-Flat-Washer-00.jpg

So, to clarify, going outwards from the body, thats: washer, strap, washer, and then strap pin?

No, just - from the body - strap>washer>strap button.

So it sort of looks just like the beer ones or the Fender ones:

7075145_800.jpg

I always liked Mr. Van Halen's dog leash clip + eyebolt setup. Seems everything would be secure, but still allow for quick release should anything accidentally catch on fire (or some wingnut jumps onstage and you quickly need to give 'em the Keith Richards Special).

Not sure if this is an actual EVH guitar, but it's the same type of setup:

gteccboehwc6drwxkecf.jpg

Clearly, that player has little concern for the integrity of the instrument's finish  :laughing7:

Cagey said:
Clearly, that player has little concern for the integrity of the instrument's finish  :laughing7:

Indeed, and he did not really know how to play it either. I mean he kept fretting notes with the wrong hand  :toothy12:

Back