StewMac stain and tru oil

Wizard of Wailing

I applied tru oil to my latest neck and I'm happy with it but on my next neck I want to add some color.  It's my understanding that you apply the Stew Mac liquid stain FIRST, and then add the tru oil finish.  Just wondering if anyone here has done that and how it worked out?

I applied tru oil to my latest neck and I'm happy with it but on my next neck I want to add some color.  It's my understanding that you apply the Stew Mac liquid stain FIRST, and then add the tru oil finish.  Just wondering if anyone here has done that and how it worked out?

It's done quite frequently. I would post pix of my work done that way if I could figure it out.

:headbang4:
I am not sure this will help, but I used Keda dye on my guitar body and 10 coats of tru-oil. It worked out beautifully. (Keda dye is a concentrated powder you can mix with water.)

Attachments

• IMAG0449.jpg
    IMAG0449.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 506
On the neck I am currently working on, I used some watered down Birchwood Casey Walnut stain, followed by a couple of coats of shellac and then will finish with tru-oil. There are some pics at the link below.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=30020.msg422909#msg422909

The shellac is an optional step to give a little more of a contrast with the dye. I went for a reasonably subtle effect.

But yes, dye first, let it dry, sand if needed for whatever reason then tru-oil.

Thanks for the replies.  I just ordered a pink paisley tele.  The neck won't be ordered until 2019 since I want to take some time and weigh all the options.  USACG says they're going to offer finishing again in the 1st quarter of 2019.  So that further complicates the decision.  I just wish I would've thought about staining the neck before I tru-oiled my newest strat.  It feels great, but the look of the neck is kinda cheap.  You can see it in the Strat category (the holo-flake guitar).

I got the body from The Stratosphere.  It's an All Parts body. The site said it's a 68-69 style tele body.  I couldn't find any specs on it, so I'm not sure on the bridge rout.  Hopefully the neck and pickups fit without too much trouble...

Back