Question: Binding on Roasted Maple Necks with no finish?

bigfatpaul

Hi all - quick question about binding on necks: would it be weird and/or affect the binding at all if there is no finish applied to the neck, e.g. on a roasted maple neck? Wasn't sure if binding really needs a finish or lacquer on it to mold it to the neck, as every neck I have that actually has binding is lacquered.

Thanks!

I personally think it would be weird more than anything else.

Though I suppose without a finish over it over a longer time the binding would as it would be potentially less protected from dirt etc eventually getting between the binding and the wood and weakening the bond so probably not a great idea.

I personally would not hesitate to get unfinished roasted maple with binding. In fact this is part of my long planned mooncaster build...

I have an all rosewood neck with binding.  Got it about 3 months ago.  Ask me again in 5 years though I don't see a problem.

rick2 said:
I have an all rosewood neck with binding.  Got it about 3 months ago.  Ask me again in 5 years though I don't see a problem.

Do you have a picture? I tried to search your profile but this 20 year old forum software isn't the most effective lol.

Groomba, I haven't mounted it yet, and haven't posted a pic.  I'll tell you it looks good.  Don't worry, the search function was working effectively. 

bigfatpaul said:
Hi all - quick question about binding on necks: would it be weird and/or affect the binding at all if there is no finish applied to the neck, e.g. on a roasted maple neck? Wasn't sure if binding really needs a finish or lacquer on it to mold it to the neck, as every neck I have that actually has binding is lacquered.

In a word, no. I've done exactly that a couple times with no ill result. Comes out great. Here's a Tele with one of those on it that I've since sold to one of the members here...

E0OciBh.jpg

Also, the Ebony board on the ice blue Tele in my sig is bound and on burnished roasted Maple neck meat w/ no finish except on the headstock face where I buried the decal in lacquer. Also a fine piece.

Back