Opinions Needed - White Nitro or keep Natural?

tele-penguin

I’m working on a build using a 4-piece roasted swamp ash body. As we all know, these are “suitable for solid colors.” My intention was to do an open grain satin white along the lines of Veritas satin white. However, now that I have a few sealer coats on, I’m kinda digging the natural look and am considering just keeping it natural and finishing with satin clear. The 4 piece body doesn’t bother me as the pieces are fairly well matched and have some interesting grain pattens. I know it’s ultimately my decision, but thought it would be fun to ask the community here. What do you think, keep it natural or go open grain satin white?

Attachments

• IMG_0932.JPEG
    IMG_0932.JPEG
    945.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0935.JPEG
    IMG_0935.JPEG
    695.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0934.JPEG
    IMG_0934.JPEG
    1,015.5 KB · Views: 21
Well I think both would look good. I tend away from brown guitars (I am in the minority) so I would vote for the Mary Kay thing.

I’m working on a build using a 4-piece roasted swamp ash body. As we all know, these are “suitable for solid colors.” My intention was to do an open grain satin white along the lines of Veritas satin white. However, now that I have a few sealer coats on, I’m kinda digging the natural look and am considering just keeping it natural and finishing with satin clear. The 4 piece body doesn’t bother me as the pieces are fairly well matched and have some interesting grain pattens. I know it’s ultimately my decision, but thought it would be fun to ask the community here. What do you think, keep it natural or go open grain satin white?
Here is a multi piece I did. If you like the wood stick to your guns and go oil. Who cares about multiple pieces! It is YOURS!IMG_5272.jpg

I would never paint any guitar with nitro. That's 75 year-old technology.
That body looks good natural, so why cover it up?

As we all know, these are “suitable for solid colors.”
I agree with you here; I've seen "paint grade" bodies that I like more than the "stain grade" ones.

You could do a white stain to let more of the character show through, or do white and sand back to color the grain.

I would never paint any guitar with nitro. That's 75 year-old technology.
That body looks good natural, so why cover it up?
Electric guitars are 75 year old tech!

Nitro is cool because it never cures, and over time shrinks and flexes, and cracks and checks the way the old guitars do.

Electric guitars are 75 year old tech!

Nitro is cool because it never cures, and over time shrinks and flexes, and cracks and checks the way the old guitars do.
There's nothing cool about that. It's the result of inferiority. I really don't understand why some people like decay & degradation.

Me, I'd be getting it smooth with filler, then a wipe on poly. Shine it up nice and glossy. Do the same for a maple, neck, maybe see one in the showcase that's flat sawn with a busy wavy grain pattern, or go the opposite direction and get something with a clear grain patter.

There's nothing cool about that. It's the result of inferiority. I really don't understand why some people like decay & degradation.
I agree. I read a forum sig that said something like "wake me when the relic fad is over," except that was attached to a post from over 10 years ago. 😵‍💫 And then some companies are creating decals for relicing. That's right up there with the shirts with sheer sleeves that have tattoo images printed on them!

But as for OP's guitar, that's beautiful. The matching on those outer wings is very well done. I'd go with either pure natural or a transparent coloring at most. Let that grain shine through!

You don’t have to understand it, but I still find it cool 🤷‍♂️

I could explain my POV further, if you’re open to it. If not, no hard feelings. You build yours and I’ll build mine.

You don’t have to understand it, but I still find it cool 🤷‍♂️

I could explain my POV further, if you’re open to it. If not, no hard feelings. You build yours and I’ll build mine.
I'm not trying to tell anyone how to build their guitar (unless they're asking for opinions), but making a new guitar look old is just plain FAKE, and I hate fakeness. I also don't like things that are damaged (which includes finishes on guitars). Do you beat the hell out of your automobiles too? It's definitely a ridiculous fad.

I understand the thinking, I call it the shovel theory, I never polish my shovel, it's a tool. I also don't fear a flaw in my guitar finish, although I believe guitar building a work of art, I am comfortable playing without the worry of a scratch or defect. Ad opposed to a prized work of art, I strive for a good playing tool.

I'm not trying to tell anyone how to build their guitar (unless they're asking for opinions), but making a new guitar look old is just plain FAKE, and I hate fakeness. I also don't like things that are damaged (which includes finishes on guitars). Do you beat the hell out of your automobiles too? It's definitely a ridiculous fad.
How did we get from nitro to relics? I said I like the way it ages, but I meant through honest wear and time.

Teletime01 put it perfectly. It’s a tool, and the hardness of the finish has no impact on the functionality of that tool.

All my heroes had nitro guitars that aged from their honest playing and touring. They became reflections of the players. I really dig that, and I want my guitars to do the same for me

How did we get from nitro to relics? I said I like the way it ages, but I meant through honest wear and time.

Teletime01 put it perfectly. It’s a tool, and the hardness of the finish has no impact on the functionality of that tool.

All my heroes had nitro guitars that aged from their honest playing and touring. They became reflections of the players. I really dig that, and I want my guitars to do the same for me
And I would never want to prevent you from having that.
All your heroes probably had nitro guitars because that was all that was available back then. They were all using what was modern at the time. Having an old vintage guitar is cool, but faking an old vintage guitar is just...well...fake.

And I would never want to prevent you from having that.
All your heroes probably had nitro guitars because that was all that was available back then. They were all using what was modern at the time. Having an old vintage guitar is cool, but faking an old vintage guitar is just...well...fake.
I see. So the real point of contention between us is that even a nitro guitar with no relicing is still “fake” because a more durable alternative exists?

I can actually see where you’re coming from, and I’ve enjoyed getting to understand your perspective. I still don’t agree, but this is hardly a hill I’ll die on. And you are spot on, if Fender/Gibson hadn’t sprayed nitro in the 50s, I wouldn’t care.

But they did, so here we are. For me, honest battle wear is a feature, not a bug. I like to be able to point to a horror story from load in/out or a stray mic stand. Yknow, the guitar equivalent of “chicks dig scars”.

We are in lockstep on relics though. That’s fake, it’s cosplay. Those scars don’t have stories.

My heroes use gun oil and spray can, some oil paint, shellac, food color, auto paint, dye... I think shellac was used by baethoven.

Back