New Amp Day!

ORCRiST

I've been after one of these ever since I was 15 and played one in my local Schmitt Music store...

I didn't remember what it was at the time, I just remembered "Gallien Kreuger" and that it was awesome.
Well, after doing some research - I finally found exactly the model I wanted, and the same amp was used
by Iron Maiden (albeit the rack-mounted version) for my two favorite albums - Somewhere in Time, and
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. Dave and Adrian were experimenting with full MIDI guitars/setups at this
time, and the only occurance the duo strayed from their trusty Marshall JCM800 setups previous and since - but
its my favorite 'Maiden tone. As an aside, Alex Lifeson of Rush also endorsed and used this particular model from GK...

I present the Gallien Krueger 250ML Series II:

gk-250ml-series2.jpg

gk-250ml-series2b.jpg

Anyone out there have any personal experience with this amp?

:rock-on:

That there is the amp I test-drove my very first electric guitar with back in '86, at Evans Music City in Houston.  I have longed for one ever since, but truthfully, my taste has evolved to a point where I'd be surprised if I actually liked it today.

Here's someone's picture of what I bought that day (and would happily own another specimen of), along with a Peavey Backstage Plus (which I do not miss in the least):
rs315a.JPG

Yep, this dude was familiar with them (supposedly).  Then when we plugged into them
at the stores, we wondered why we couldn't get that Tom Sawyer or Working Man tone.

gk_lifeson_gftpm_12_86.jpg

Hah - Schmitt Music Centers... oh the memories...

Hey ORC, was it the Schmitt in Burnsville center?  That is where I got my first electric guitar back in 1988.

crash said:
Hey ORC, was it the Schmitt in Burnsville center?  That is where I got my first electric guitar back in 1988.

YES!

I grew up in Prior Lake, and Burnsville Center was "the place" back in the day... ever been to LaVonne's Music in Savage?

I remember one of the ads for those, GK250ML on the back of a motorcycle, guitar strapped to the guys back. I also remember a friend's band where everybody complained when the guitar player brought his GK, because it got lost easily in the mix.

ORCRiST said:
crash said:

YES!

I grew up in Prior Lake, and Burnsville Center was "the place" back in the day... ever been to LaVonne's Music in Savage?

Haven't been there in about 10 years.  I assume it's still around?  My favorite was Knut Koupe in Apple Valley.  We would hang out there for hours playing with all the gear.  That's where I bought my Ibanez, which I still have.

Have you had a change to try out your new amp yet?

crash said:
ORCRiST said:
crash said:
Hey ORC, was it the Schmitt in Burnsville center?  That is where I got my first electric guitar back in 1988.

YES!

Haven't been there in about 10 years.  I assume it's still around?  My favorite was Knut Koupe in Apple Valley.  We would hang out there for hours playing with all the gear.  That's where I bought my Ibanez, which I still have.

Have you had a change to try out your new amp yet?

Yes, LaVonne's is still around. Never been to Knut Koupe, but have heard of it... is it still in business?

Crash, B3, anyone else in MN - anyplace you can recommend amp repair?  Its supposedly in perfect working order - but just in case, and I know there are cap kits out there for the 250ML too.

No, sadly - I just won it off of Ebay - so I have to wait for it to be shipped (which was $30).  :sad:

Thanks!

Sorry man, I have no idea about any amp repair locally.  Your best best might be to ask somebody at Guitar Center.

Knut Koupe shut down at least 10-15 years ago. 

sorry, I don't know off hand. Currently I bum amps off my dad. I know he's used a certified Gibson repair man for his Gibson amp, and the Victoria is going strong. (Replaced the reverb tank himself, which really isn't a tough job.) For guitar assembly and such, Brown's http://www.brownsguitarfactory.com/

has come highly recommended by friends. I've played axes set up by them and they do a very good job.

Cool amp man.  Congrats on the find.

That pic of Alex Lifeson is crazy.  It's totally Joey from Full House. :)

Erik Z said:
That pic of Alex Lifeson is crazy.  It's totally Joey from Full House. :)

LOL! Yeah, no kidding.

Agreed on the ALD, too. Must've eaten too much quiche up in the Great White North.

Still, I'm sure he's forgotten more than I'll ever know about guitar.

Well to be fair he looked just as silly in front of the wall of Marshalls, just in a different way. And that IS Joey!

On topic: congrats on the NAD, it's a good feeling :)

As long as we're being fair, that picture of him in front of the Marshalls is likely from the '70s, and everybody looked at least a little bit silly back then, if not a lot <grin>

Welp, got home from work yesterday and the amp was waiting for me.

First impressions... Its small and LOUD. It sounds great for its age, and I spent a few hours noodling away on it.

It does sound a little tired however, despite recent Pyle speaker replacements directly from GK. The
built-in chorus and 'echo' effects (reverb) are pretty damn good actually - and I remembered why it
caught my ear back in the day.

So, I thought I'd take it someplace to get it cleaned up and to see if anything on the inside should be replaced.

Turned out I have a bad-ass custom tube amp store right down the road!

http://www.savageamps.com/
(Minnesota peeps take note!)

So off my little lunchbox amp goes for a cleaning and a check-up... hopefully when I pick it up, I can plug it into
one of their cabs, from what I hear the little 250 will easily power a 4x12 in stereo.  :guitaristgif:

Back