Koa Limited Release

I was about to post another picture, but apparently it was too large a file even after resizing it significantly. Something change on the forum?

There's been lots of discussion about obsidian in a rear route, no problems? Or did you get one with long pots?

Obsidian pots are short shaft which is tough to get in a rear routed body. Kinda looks like you sanded the top inside the cavity to be thinner there to make it work...?

I had an Obsidian harness that I had planned to use for a rear routed body and discovered that it was too short. I replaced the pots on the circuit board with longer ones. It worked fine, but always felt a bit iffy. I didn't want to be playing with the band and it suddenly fail so I ultimately replaced it with a 920D harness which also comes with short shafts but doesn't have a circuit board. They were easy to swap out.

Now the guitar is strong like bull!

75f3cca2-f55d-4b23-99e6-1299846e07cb_text.gif

GunStreet just announced solderless designs, you should ask them (and reference that Obsidian wouldn’t).

I think I’ll probably stick with 920D for two other reasons I didn’t mention… placement fit & repairability.

I’ve used Obsidian on a pickguard and it was spot on in terms of fit. I found that fitting a circuit board in a rear routed guitar to be a real challenge. The pots (aside from shaft height) seemed to fit OK, but the switch placement was a bit off and required straining the thing to fit in there. Not sure how GunStreet is, I’ve not heard of them. But, if you know how to solder, the 920D is all standard components so spacing is not an issue. Neither is replacing a bad component like a worn out pot or something.

These bodies don't like common short shaft pots. I've had to shave material (wood) out of the back of the control cavity so I can get the pot threads all the way through enough where I can secure them with the nuts.

I can confirm that, I bought a set of short shaft and it did not work.. Will have to buy a set of long shaft pots for this koa build.

I think I need to make an order at “Don’t Tell The Wife Guitars”, they seem to be a big EMG dealer to at can maybe put together a package.

Thinking:
89/SA/SA
Long shaft push/pull (volume)
Long shaft PI2 (tone, phase invert for middle)
Long shaft SPC
5-Way

Back