I Have This Body... Bobber Build Thread

rgand

Epic Member
I have another body with string through holes that need to be doweled and re-done. Since I'm at it, and I don't want to do another Telerauder at this time, there are a couple directions to go with it.

But first, a little background on why I am not working on the other two projects in progress first. The Roadhouse will take some polishing and finish work. The Faultline really is just a block of wood and has to be routed from the git-go. Well, about 6 weeks ago I tore a muscle or two in my right shoulder. That rules out any hand sanding or hand routing. But I still have a left hand. A week ago I made an appointment with the Dr. about getting it to heal a little quicker. Then, the next day I went out onto the steep part of the hillside early with the dogs while the grass was wet. BAM! Did in the left shoulder. I don't think I tore anything but I landed hard on it and so both shoulders are somewhat non-functional. This will be interesting to explain to the Dr tomorrow when I see him. :icon_scratch:

Anyway, I can do most things to a degree but hand sanding and hand routing is out for the time being.

So, I have this nicely routed body with a little work to be done on it.

I can still run a bandsaw, router table and spindle sander. To keep busy, I'll start working on that one for now. The question now is which direction to take this project.

Should I make a Maverauder?
4Q3gywS.png

A Swingerauder?
osr37sM.png

I'm kind of leaning toward the Maverauder because of size. After all, a super-sized Swinger might be a bit much for a guitar that originally was the size of a Mustang. That wide butt reminds me of... well... never mind. Everybody's thoughts are welcome here. Color, BTW, may end up anything at this point. After all, that is in the future.

Mayfly said:
Ahem.

Why not just sell that fabulous body as it is?
It does need some work to make it right.

Besides, that didn't occur to me. :laughing11:

If that's a Warmoth (or other name brand) - I'd sell it. If it's a <sub $100 body> chop away. If you're gonna do all the shaping work, why not start on something more in line with a body blank instead of an unfinished body price.

Some ideas ... http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=30259.msg426516#msg426516

Combine an Ovation Breadwinner with a Parker Fly, and add in some jazzmaster, with a pinch of musiclander and punch of Iceman, plus some reverse Nomad.

Mayfly said:
How heavy is it?
I don't recall exactly but it might be around 4lb. Shaping on it would remove some weight. I'll weigh it again when it's ready for some finish work.

swarfrat said:
If that's a Warmoth (or other name brand) - I'd sell it. If it's a <sub $100 body> chop away. If you're gonna do all the shaping work, why not start on something more in line with a body blank instead of an unfinished body price.
Good input but it's neither. I made it from a solid blank I shaved to 1 5/8" thick.

DMRACO said:
Maverauder.  looks killer
Thanks for the nudge in that direction.

Rick said:
That Breadwinner is an interesting guitar. It almost embodies the term 'axe'.
Some ideas ... http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=30259.msg426516#msg426516

Combine an Ovation Breadwinner with a Parker Fly, and add in some jazzmaster, with a pinch of musiclander and punch of Iceman, plus some reverse Nomad.
That Breadwinner is interesting. Well deserving of the term 'axe'.

Maverauder is sure enough an interesting design, but my preference would be the Swingerauder. Just IMHO, for what it's worth. And in the end, it only has to please one person: You!  :headbang:

BigSteve22 said:
Maverauder is sure enough an interesting design, but my preference would be the Swingerauder. Just IMHO, for what it's worth. And in the end, it only has to please one person: You!  :headbang:
I've been leaning away from that because of the sheer SIZE. I'll take another look at it and maybe I can massage that design a bit to be narrower than a dump truck without making it lopsided. Perhaps un-offset it a little. I had to do that on the other one to lighten the top side for visual balance.

I do like the Swinger design but the other one seems more balanced to me. It would look less off balance with the humbucker bridge, which it will definitely have. Most likely. Perhaps. Hell, I don't know... It might depend entirely on my mood when I actually get to it. I'm sure color will make a difference, too.

Toulouse_Tuhles said:
Make the cut in the back more severe almost like a Rickenbacker is in the front.
I tried that but it was too much. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

BigSteve22 said:
Also very nice....  :icon_thumright:
Thanks. This one looks better to me but I may need to fiddle with things some more.

OK, then. This morning I got on the bandsaw. Then the spindle sander. Then the router table.
l6gl1QT.jpg

This will now officially be called the Bobber. :laughing11:

I'll start a thread for it when there's more progress.

edit: This is now the official thread for it.

Thanks, Ian. It went from 4lb 4oz to 3lbs 11oz. That's a significant amount of wood coming off there.

Back